Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve Hammer Help!

• 31-07-2002 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Allright, i have finally started to make a few maps and have started on a para map with normal dod spawn. When i go to run the level and test how much i have done so far it tells me the name is not in the cyle or somfin like that.

How do i complie the .map file into a .bsp file and run it. Im a total noob at this mapping stuff and am amazed i have got so far. So if anyone can give me a hand it would be nice :D

Here is what ive done so far! Just two more questions.. How do i allow people to swim in the water? The big box of green stuff is the water :D:D .. AND how do i put models (.mdl) into the map?

preview.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Allright.... i finished the map. Its a deathmatch level with lots of problems and mistakes but what the hell .... its my first map so who cares :D

If you want to download it: click here for para_game1

Its a DoD 3.0 (para) map and uses the normal spawn system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'd download it but it'd be a wate seeing as how i dont have DoD 3.0. ;)

Cant really judge from one early Hammer screenshot tho.. Any Ingame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

winters sent an unfinished version to me last nite, i opened it in an editor and it couldnt find some [or indeed any] of the textures.

It was quite good for a first map and im amazed u stuck by it seeing its ur first. Bit too cs'y though.

Good Work :)

He, he. I finished it and was playing it on my lan today .. :D:D

total deathmatch level. ...

Ive started making a beach level but im finding it hard to get all thoese lights in there.... i never put enough in :D

Ill keep you updated... the para map will be played on Sundays Lan :D

Ive stoped with the beach map....twas hard... Ill try another one..

One Question: How do i change all the black background to the normal scenic one?

Put in a sky box.

[Oxford Dictionary : Box, sky : A really really really big box placed around the entire map wit a sky texture attached, thus creating the illusion of a "sky"]

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Played DoD once and hated it.
    Never touched it since the first version. I hear it's good these days, what with the new patches and all, but I wouldn't bother.

Fair play to you for finishing a map, even if it IS DoD, and don't forget to point people towards the texture wads you used so that they can grab them if they need them to play it. (Jim, if you don't have the wads you can't view the map in an editor unless you enjoy shiny white blocks [WC Textureless Style])

the entire map came out a nice pink and brown checkered texture :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Urgh, thats even worse.

Get the texture wad of Winters and you can view it properly.
    You'll need it to play-test the map also, so make sure you leave a link for all those out there that want to test the map.

(Not me, of course)

Well... i use all the standard DoD wads. The reason Jim cant see it is cos he is using Quark :D

The wad files i used were: dod_avalanch.wad, overlord.wad and the other ones that are in the normal did directory ... Hammer all the way!

Advertisement