Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

queen

Options
  • 31-07-2002 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

yeah i know there an old band but i was listening to them today and man they rocked , any queen fans out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Garth, I think a little... Bohemian Rhapsody?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aw man there is some solo on that tune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

thought this thread was about elton john :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My girlfriend is a huge fan, I used to like them a bit as well (although not nearly as much as her). Every queen album (17 I think or therabouts) is in my house. There is some good stuff on there, it's amazing how many classic songs that most people would know are on the 2 greatest hits albums alone. Personally, I liked the highlander soundtrack one (kind of magic) and innuendo. The works was also pretty damn good. The only one I found hard going was hot space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, Queen ruled.

• Advertisement

i think so anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I think I can say in all honesty that they are one of my favoutite bands of all time.....

"All we hear is Radio Goo-Goo, Radio GaGa..."!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by deco
    I think I can say in all honesty that they are one of my favoutite bands of all time.....

i agree. the had some of the best songs ever. too many to name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I think they suck donkey scrot.

Went to see them in slane when i was....well...i can't mind.... VERY young.....too young to be there really. They were flookin brilliant. But I soon learned they were crap and never looked back....

........apart from Bohemian Rhapsody of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Queen are truly one of the best Rock bands that ever came to existance. My personnal favourite song would have to be Innuendo. In fact, the whole Innuendo album has to be one of the best.

They had one really bad album that I heard though. "Jazz" I think it was called.

I'm so damn pissed off I never got to go to the Freddie Tribute Concert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by FreaK_BrutheR

That was Freddie, but it was never proven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by FreaK_BrutheR
    ........apart from Bohemian Rhapsody of course

Can't stand 'em - especially Bohemian frickin' Rhapsody. (I should add that one of my brothers was an obsessive Queen fan so I developed an allergy through over-exposure). I do not approve of the way certain Xfm DJs play Queen on a regular basis. You know who you are, Mr. Moorkens and Mr. Colley.

yeah innuendo is a flippin class song , no man there a great band all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Originally posted by Lolo

Can't stand 'em - especially Bohemian frickin' Rhapsody. (I should add that one of my brothers was an obsessive Queen fan so I developed an allergy through over-exposure). I do not approve of the way certain Xfm DJs play Queen on a regular basis. You know who you are, Mr. Moorkens and Mr. Colley.

Come on they are one of the formative bands of modern rock not to mention many of our childhoods....

Don't you think you are being a bit harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Too much diversity of songs to be totally written off by anyone. The Solo in 'You don't fool me' off the last album (not their best song) has one of the coolest solos ever, EVER!

I urge any self respecting rock fan to go get Sheer Heart Attack, Queen 2 and Queen 1 - Top stuff!

Theres some cool tunes on Jazz mind, the sheer funky riffery of Dead on Time is rawktastic

QUEEN ARE THE BEST!!

originally posted by thomas from presence

QUEEN ARE THE BEST!!

rock on man , total agreement with ya there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I think queen were possibly the greatest band ever, on the basis of having such a wide appeal and yet maintaining high standards. only other band like that i can think of is U2.

And let's face it, would being gay be so acceptable today if it weren't for freddie? They left a BIG mark on the world.

"Oh you gonna take me home tonight?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Innuendo is quite a brilliant album, and I really should track it down on CD. As it is, most of my queen is on tape. And they rarely get a listen in these days of CDs galore!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Garth, I think a little... Bohemian Rhapsody?

:)
    Haha... that movie rules. Pity they didn't play any Megadeth or Metallica in those days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

yes! im only 13 but my dad has had me listening to quenn since i was a baby!! they rock and i think all them metal fans. ("i love heavy metal. like sum 41 and slipknot... >punch!< AWWWW!")

should listen to some pure 100% ROCK!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I'm surprised I haven't posted here yet... hrm...

Queen are definitely my fave band ever, alongside U2.

Currently my favourite song of theirs is the acoustic version of Love of my Life.

But they have so many classics, Brian May was a brilliant guitarist, John Deacon was a great bassist and Roger Taylor was a brilliant drummer and backing singer. Of course then there's Freddie who is probably the greatest rock singer there's ever been...

<Runs off to find GH1-3...>

}:>

Originally posted by deco

Come on they are one of the formative bands of modern rock not to mention many of our childhoods....

Don't you think you are being a bit harsh?

No, I think they're horrendously overrated (as are U2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Queen were never overated! What you see is what you get, and Queen gave a lot!

Originally posted by Oeneus
    Queen were never overated! What you see is what you get, and Queen gave a lot!

That makes no sense to me, please explain. Meanwhile, I'll explain my post, as you obviously didn't understand it:

Queen are frequently heralded as one of the best rock bands in the history of the genre. I don't think they were. Therefore, I think they're overrated.

whatever about u2 , personally i think queen are one of the best bands of all time , !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Queen = greatest band of all time. They were absolutely amazing. How many bands can you think of where you can listen to every single song on any album and think 'wow'? They gave us 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'We Are The Champions', 'We Will Rock You', 'I Want To Break Free' and so many more hits, as well as the lesser-known gems ('The Prophet's Song' comes to mind). They were unique. They rocked. :D

So, um, yeah. I'm a fan.

Originally posted by claire h
    How many bands can you think of where you can listen to every single song on any album and think 'wow'?

Several, but Queen aren't one of them... and I could quite safely say that I've heard pretty much everything, apart from the posthumously released stuff (my brother had grown out of them by the time Freddie died, and I'd left home).
    lesser-known gems ('The Prophet's Song' comes to mind).
    Gah!! I particularly hate that one... I'd rather not "listen to the man", thank you very much.
    They were unique.

Thank Christ. I'll give you that - and also agree with whoever said that Freddie M. helped to make male homosexuality a bit more acceptable to the masses.

This is a bit of a pointless argument as I've been poisoned against this band by overexposure at an early age, and you lot are obviously died-in-the-wool fans. Just accept that not everyone shares your taste!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FLASH!
    AAAWWWWW!

Nuff said!

Big respect to the Queen - especially on her Jubilee Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Fat bottomed you girls make the rockin world go round :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

I gotta love Queen, not only for the music, but 'cuz they took the pompous stuck-up-my-own-ass attitude of so many rock bands and deliberately multiplied it by 1000, making them great comedians as well as musicians. Kind of the same as U2 with Zooropa and Popmart, the only difference being Queen pulled the joke off while still making brilliant music. Have to agree they're overplayed on radio though, I kinda prefer to pull out an album for special occasions :) But then I hate all commercial radio anyway. Burn, destroy, purge!

If Freddie, Brian and co were really on the throne I'd be a lot more patriotic :cool:

Advertisement