Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer constantly locking up

• 31-07-2002 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

At a lan party recently, we realised the comp was running at 65'C on average, and hit 70'C once. So we opened it up, stuck a fan next to it and it was grand.

PPC tried to underclock the comp, and changed around a few bios settings, then when I tried to install Total Annihalation, it locked up.

I brought it home, went to bed, bout 9hrs later, it was the same. It seems to only lock up when I have motherboard monitor on for some time, or when I play a game (q3, jk2, hl), it almost locks up immediatly. It sounds like the graphics card is gone fubar to me. According to PPC, He didnt do anything that should make a difference.

Anybody got any idea's? The pc is currently running at 51'C, and is its average temp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

If it was Underclocked it Could Not
    work Until The default clock is restored.

Is the processor currently overclocked?
    Than could stop games working.

You could flash your BIOS to restore its default setttings
    Or restore them yourself if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

its not over/under clocked in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ryo, that makes no sense.

To restore default settings, you clear your cmos, flashing your bios is a stupid idea, since the bios hasn't actually changed at all.
    And this will usually knock it back to factory defaults, which is usually 100 fsb on an athlon board. Every board I have built athlons with boots at 100 by default, you have to change it to 133 yourself. And even going on just that evidence, a processor will work underclocked without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I always harp on about this product, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Download and create a Memtest86 disk. Run it for a few passes, if you get errors in the same location over and over, it's a ram problem (memtest picks up errors other tests do not, I have found). Also if you get loads of errors, in loads of random locations, (normally a few thousand), then start to suspect your motherboard. I've had lockups on 3 or 4 machines this year, (2 ECS, 1 ASUS and 1 Shuttle - all based on different chipsets).

The memtest has helpded me succesfully diagnose memory problems on 2 of those machines and faulty MB's on the other 2.

If you get no errors, look elsewhere, conflicts, etc........

Goto http://www.memtest86.com/

Advertisement