Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this flat rate then, intriguing 1892 numbers?

Options
  • 01-08-2002 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Yo!

On the 31/07 the ODTR did some faffing around with numbers.

To explain!

1891 numbers are USED for ISP subscribers to get cheaper calls during the day, they are a non geographic local number, charged at a discounted version of the normal local rate during daytime.

1892 numbers have been issued for years but NEVER USED. The fact that they are being juggled around for Worldcom and for Nevada is probably indicative that they are to be used SHORTLY.

Is this imminent Flat Rate or something similar. The original intention behind 1892 was for a 'pay as you go' service. It may mean a cheaper version of the free services where the rate is the same all day. This is not a flat rate product per se as you still pay by the unit. It could well become one depending on how the billing is implemented.

I am intrigued, a comment from the committee would be appreciated.

This is an excerpt from the 3107 ODTR numbering document.

The following numbers were withdrawn:
    1892 151151 ~ 151151 6 Pay-as-you-go Internet 1 MCI Worldcom
    ..and replaced with:
    1892 181181 ~ 181181 6 Pay-as-you-go Internet 1 MCI Worldcom
    1892 183183 ~ 183183 6 Pay-as-you-go Internet 1 MCI Worldcom
    The following numbers were withdrawn:
    1892 113113 ~ 113113 6 Pay-as-you-go Internet…and replaced with:
    1892 223223 ~ 223223 6 Pay-as-you-go Internet 1 Nevada Tele.com

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They've never been used because they involved because they involve negotiating with Eircom for price and other details.

Active negotiations now appear to be occurring. I'm not sure what the significance of these number changes is, but hope would be that talks are nearing their conclusion and the ODTR is preparing the numbers for use.

Currently Nevada, Worldcom and ESAT have numbers allocated.

Can you post a link to the document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

The document is called

National Numbering Allocations-31July2002.doc , its genUwhine.

these docs are routine announcements of blocks of numbers as they are released to carriers. I cannot find the doc on the site.

Try this

Numbering Search Interface for Ireland

Enter the std code 1892 and press submit.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I notice that blocks of 1893 numbers are allocated too.

adam

Except!

Eircom have no 1893 numbers but they DO have 1892 numbers.

No changes have occured to the 1893 numbers in years.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mdf

The number ranges were only opened up last year. 1892 is pay as you go. 1893 is flat rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mdf
    The number ranges were only opened up last year. 1892 is pay as you go. 1893 is flat rate

And as we discussed at the time (I'm too lazy to find the thread), it was hardly ground-breaking for the ODTR to allocate these numbers. Total man-hours expended must have been in the order of 30 seconds (plus another five hours writing up the original press release). The ISPs in general haven't gone for the 1892 allocation because, I'd imagine, it would just cause hassle with their local POPs. No-one's taken up the 1893 allocation and judging by progress, no-one's going to any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I know I'm repeating myself for the 3rd time but just to clear this up....

1892 - Not FRIACO , but better than 1892 in terms of the charging structure.

1893 - FRIACO - beautiful , beautiful FRIACO

I know there are discussions going on about sort-of FRIACO ( 1892 ) but if I see 1893 this year I will eat my proverbial HAT and bow down and be humble.

Please someone prove me wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I did of course mean 1892 is better than 1891...DOH!

....if one agressively step bills.

EG

First 100 mins a month = €15 (thats 15c a minute)

First 1000 mins a month = €15 (thats 1.5c a minute)

Cost = the same to user.

Common with mobiles, known as step billing.

M

Advertisement