Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition Scheme For Young Drivers

Options
  • 01-08-2002 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I am sure some of you are aware of this scheme but just for sake of making sure I'm going to post up about it :).

Right the nice parts of this scheme are you save 20%-40% on your annual premium which is a hell of a lot when your paying the high premium young people get charged in this country. EG if you paid €2000 per year you could save any where from €400 to €800 per year which is nice.

Now this is not the scheme where they track you via GPRS to monitor your speed or make sure your not driving at certain times. The only thing you have to do is a day long advanced driving course (which is free) and if you pass you get the discount.

The scheme is open to anyone who got their full license in the past 5 years who own their own car 1400CC or below with no convictions. There are a few other rules but not many. For the full low down on the scheme check out http://fb.via-net-works.ie/hibernian/ignition.asp and you can see for your self.

Happy savings who ever takes this scheme. Also anyone who has already taken this scheme might want to post up some info on how good it was/wasn't :)

kayos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

thanks for info kayos

i just found out my insurance has jumped this year.

i was insured on my parents car, nissan primera '00, name driver, f & t for the past five months.

those five months only cost €380.

the insurance is up this month. i was expecting the yearly insurance to be about €1,000 based on my previous insurance.

got my insurance quote about 30min ago. if i want to get insured it will now cost me €2,100 for the year.

i am driving 4 yrs now. have a full licence for the past 6 months. driving company vans for the past 3 years as name driver. have loads of road experience. never crashed, hit anything or anyone and i get a quote like this. :mad:

my parent said they will pay some of it, prob about half. but i cant afford this increase. if i can get this advanced drivers course it should help alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I have a question about this scheme...see the way it says it covers you on your own car 1400cc or less, well say a fella was to do the scheme and pass it on a 1.2L 206 but then decided to get a 1.6L machine could he still use his ignition cert and get the 20% reduction or will it only work as long as you have a 1400 or less?

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

my insurance just came through today for my mums car. i'm paying €903 from today until feb 15th 2003. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.

I went on this course and it's not too bad when you know what you're doing. 20% off my basic premium of 2,236 wasn't bad either.

They don't actually give you a 'cert'. They send you a letter to let you know if you've passed put you don't get a free advanced driving cert, so you only get credit for passing the advanced driving test (that they pay for) if you get insured with them. Afaik they're the only ones in Ireland offering a discount for an advanced driving cert so it makes no difference anyway.

The short answer on the engine size is : no. As a young driver under the ignition scheme they will only take up to a 1.4. When you get older, and god only knows what's old enough, you could probably get isured outside the ignition scheme with them. It's a pity - my sister is going to be selling her 2.0i beast soon :(

The thing that might catch some people out is the 20% comes out of your no claims discount. It won't make much difference the first 3/4 years, and you'll save a ton of money in that time, but once you reach the maximum discount you won't benefit from the advanced driving cert (or lack of) anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Blitz how do you mean the 20% discount comes out of your NCB??

As in they give you the discount in the form of a NCB and it slowly decreases as your NCB goes up??

EG
    3 years NCB = 20% Discount
    Iginition Scheme = 20% Discount
    => 50% Discount
    the next year then it would be
    4 years NCB = 40%
    Iginition Scheme = 20%
    => 50% Discount since NCB does not go over 50%

I'm just wondering

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

GF is doing the course in Kilkenny on Sept 9.

She mentioned it to me last week - then I remembered that kayos had posted about it here.

She's 25 and her insurance will drop from 1500 euro (comp) last year to a little over 600 euro (3pf&t) this year (only 504 euro if she passes this)

If anyone is doing this course/thinking of doing it, remember to get in contact in plenty of time. Anne was booked in for Sept 18 in Cork before we got the idea to check other cities. SO you'll be needing notice of up to two months.

I'll post up any details she gives me of the course after she's it done.

Nice one kayos btw - lots of people may owe you pints if they see this.

If the max no claims bonus was 58% after 5 years, with a scheme along the lines of :

1 year : 16%
    2 years : 24%
    3 years : 32%
    4 years : 46%
    5 years : 58%

with the ingnition scheme it would work out as :

0 years : 20%
    1 year : 36%
    2 years : 44%
    3 years : 58%
    4 years : 58%
    5 years : 58%

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Blitzkrieger

What kind of stuff did they ask you on the course? and is the driving part of it the same as the driving test??

it seems like a good thing to do, the quote i got is over a grand less than any other insurance compary!...... which is nice!

i will be doing it in galway i'd say does anyone know if there is a long waiting list there??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Yet another pointless "scheme" to cover up the ripping off of drivers by insurance companies...

I agree but it's making the best of a bad situation. IMO everybody should be forced to do an advanced driving test.

The course wasn't so bad. You spend the morning watching a video and answering questions (verbal, not an exam), then the afternoon driving with an advanced driving test at the end. It's mostly common sense. They want to know you're in full control of the vehicle (provided) and are aware of what's going on around you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

what if your getting your first car, have no insurance on it yet, and you want to try get onto this ignition scheme ? BTW, 21, male .. looking at buying a ford focus 1.4 99D

how would you do the test without being insured on your car ? do they supply a testing car, like the general driving test?

They supply a car for you to do the test in. I was in a dual-control Clio. I had the seat all the way back and my knees were still up around my ears. My Fiesta seemed cavernous after.

Advertisement