Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny this!!

Options
  • 01-08-2002 1:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen this yet----

http://home.eircom.net/beststart/index.asp

Offering eircoms subscription service-save 60% on peak calls and 20% on off peak call charges.

I used the calculator and put in 0 hours peak time(Im in work) and 22 hours off peak-3 hours per night and I can make an amazing saving of

wait for it

1.91%

1.91% or 1.40 euros per bill.

Fu<king brilliant!!!! WHERE DO I SIGN UP????

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive just rang the number on this page and asked how I could avail of the 20% discount on the call charges and was told that the more I use the Internet the more I can save.So I tried a little experiment.If you use their calculator and try to calculate a 20% saving off peak only then you would have to use the internet for 150 off peak hours per week.
    Problem is that there are only 118 off peak hours in any seven day period.Assuming that off peak is 6pm-8am=5 x 14 and 2x48(Sat& Sunday) which gives a total of 118 hours per week.So Im lost as to where they get there 20% saving.
    AND this is before you pay your subscription charges which is almost €200 euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Maybe a case for the ASAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

At the moment you spend approximately 88,000.00 hours per week online.
    With a free account your Internet access costs would be: 1,073,889.60 EUR/month
    With a subscription account your Internet access costs would be: 422,071.56 EUR/month
    Hence with a subscription account you will make a saving of approximately 60.70%

At the moment you spend approximately 180,000.00 hours per week online.
    With a free account your Internet access costs would be: 1,471,780.80 EUR/month
    With a subscription account your Internet access costs would be: 677,315.64 EUR/month
    Hence with a subscription account you will make a saving of approximately 53.98%

So with 88000 hours online per month I save 60.7%
    But with 180000 hours online per month I only save 53.98%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by bricks
    ...So with 88000 hours online per month I save 60.7%
    But with 180000 hours online per month I only save 53.98%.

Well, considering you spend so much time on-line, where are you gonna find the time to spend the 6.72% that you've saved in costs?????...:D

Why not try doing the figures for more realistic times - after all, there are only a maximum of 744 hours in a month (some less, obviously). Where did you get 88,000 hours online per month??????

Mike

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Never mind "per month" his post indicates "88,000 hours PER WEEK".

Maybe he's overclocked his watch or something...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by Delphi91

Why not try doing the figures for more realistic times - after all, there are only a maximum of 744 hours in a month (some less, obviously). Where did you get 88,000 hours online per month??????

I presume he's just trying to work out where the reduction of 60% comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

I think they made that just as a way of saying "We run this monopoly, and we get away with it, now we're going to rub it in your powerless faces hahaha"

Eircom sux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wormhole

i must say those figures gave me the best laugh i've had in
    months until i realised that eirclot proberbly use them for
    their calculations to!

Originally posted by wormhole
    i must say those figures gave me the best laugh i've had in
    months until i realised that eirclot proberbly use them for
    their calculations to!

Heh, I'm not the only one who stays up this late too ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres the reply I git back from Eircon customer when I emailed the complaint to them.

I would like to respond to your complaint in relation to
    the eircom net calculator. The best start pages
    advises people that with a subscription account
    they receive 60% saving for peak rates and 20% saving
    for off-peak rates. These savings relate as stated
    directly to call rates.

Actual text:
    "These benefits include reduced call rates - saving over 60% for peak
    and 20% for off peak hours."

This is correct. With a subscription account you pay
    less than local call rates for Internet access. Less than local call rates
    are significantly cheaper than the local call rates associated with
    free accounts.

Please see the savings you can make on call rates below.

Free Account

Peak 4.19 cents/minute
    Off-peak 1.09 cents/minute
    Support Calls 60.82`cents/minute

Subscription Account
    Peak 1.61 cents/minute
    Off-peak .80 cents/minute
    Support Calls local call rates.

(EX VAT Prices)

As you can see from above the call rates for a subscription account
    are significantly lower than for a free account.
    When you calculate the difference in call rates,
    the savings are actually even higher than mentioned in our
    text. With a subscription account there is a 61% reduction
    in call rates for peak hours and actually over a 26% saving
    on call rates for off-peak hours.

When you buy a subscription account with eircom net,
    you basically buy an account that will enable you to
    receive these reduced call rates. The calculator takes into
    account the subscription fee that you pay for a subscription account
    in addition to the reduced call rates to give you an overall
    saving. If you like I can organise for one of
    our sales team to call you to discuss this further.

In the meantime if you have any questions please let
    me know.

Thanks and Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    In the meantime if you have any questions please let
    me know.

Yes Mister/Miss Eircom rep-type person, when can we expect to see FRIACO in operation and proper, 24/7, flat-rate, 56K dial-up internet access in this country? And don't give me that bull$hit about it not being "commercially viable at this time." We want flat-rate and we want it NOW!

Thank you. :D

Dont worry Aidan I sent them back a reply to the above asking why no-where on the above mentioned page does it say that their calculator includes the cost of your subscription charge.Which IMO is still blatant false advertising ie an ad for 60% savings on your CALL charges yet your INTERNET charges remain the same.

Strange this,
    they are actually enforcing this!
    At least I think this is the same deal, I know IOL are owned by Esat now, but the new offer seems to be the same as what you described =/
    I have the IOL premium service, you know, it's called gold or something, I don't know why, my dad insists he uses them for business, anyway, they suckass, I logged on today, and any http requests resulted in (please use the 1981 number for low low savings) then rubbed the bloody .80 a minute price in my face!
    Those guys are unbelievable you know...

Advertisement