Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhcp -> Btw

Options
  • 01-08-2002 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

[I dont think this has been discussed- Delete/Merge as necessary]

RHCP: By the Way
    Any thoughts/opinions

Theres a few good tunes like, By the Way, Universally Speaking and Cabron but overall I feel a bit numbed to it.
    I suppose trying to follow Californication is a bit difficult but I was expecting better. Maybe theres a trend beginning to develop with the Chilis...
    One great album followed by mediocrity:
    Blood Sugar -> One Hot Minute
    Californication -> By the Way

Having said that I did like One Hot Minute, although the consensus was it was a bit too heavy for the old Skool fans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I like it alot. I think most of the songs are great. Alot mellower than most of their stuff, but like I gave out about in the other thread on "What happened to the chillis" they gotta grow with their music, ya can't expect a band to keep delivering the same stuff constantly.

80P I know you like STP, so the same sort of thing applies with them, some people didn't like Tiny Music after Purple, and same for Shangri La after no. 4, however, I think they grew well and are writing more mature stuff. Same with most bands.

Jamiroquai, have turned a bit disco funk, but I myself like the direction they've gone as well. Anyway you get my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

From the title track I was a bit disappointed, cause I was expecting something a bit more up tempo, but I'd say it'll grow on me after a few more listens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I agree it is alot "mellower" and that can just be the tone in which an album is made, but it just didn't grab me (even in the mellow sense).
    I think the main reason why I was so dissapointed was becasue the Chillis are one of my all time favs and after a while you just take it for granted they are going to churn out top material consistently. As you say with the STP comparison, it seems to follow that trend.

Overall, its listenable but not memorable: 4/10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I bought it 2 weeks ago with the new oasis album, the first time i listened to it i thought crap , but then i listen it to it about 5 times in the last 2 weeks and it has really grown on me. With the addition of frustante's backing vocals it gives it a real modern day beach boys sound. Its one of their best i think

Advertisement