Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

favourite games company

Options
  • 01-08-2002 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

just out of interest. do people have favourite games companies and buy all their games even if they turn out to be crap? myself, i'd buy anything Blizzard and ID software touched. CDV is looking good so far too, Westwood havent been much inventive lately as they were back in the 90's and LucasArts are only milking the cash cow from their films.

whats your favourite games company/publisher? (except for EA and Activision, since they suck), is there any new games companies to watch out for in the future?

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Capcom and ID software.

ever since i bought wolfenstien/doom years ago i have been hooked. Doom1 and Quake 1 are prob my favs but Quake 2+3 are great multiplayers.

Capcom, Resident Evil series and Street Fighter series. need i say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

in no order my top 3 are..

Blizzard for Starcarft, Diablo and Warcraft series's

Fireaxis for Civ games..

and the mighty Sports Interactive for CM

While I like some of ID's games in the past, I dont really play FPS games anymore so would not rate them in my current fav's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Infogrames/Interplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Capcom and ID software.
    i read the title of this thread & those 2 names were the first to jump into my head.
    been hooked on id games since i played wolfenstien on a b&w monitor all those years ago.
    i used to love the street fighter series, and have seriously gotten into the resi series over the last couple of years.

a couple more of my faves would be:
    sci - mainly for the carmageddon series
    introversion - for doing something original
    whoever made the legacy of kain series (cant fookin remember)
    psygnosis - for the wipeout/dd series
    nintendo - mainly for super metroid, super mario cart & starwing

i could go on and on, but i should be working;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blizzard too.

But Team17 would own j00 all if they were still around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Infogrames/Interplay

You're taking the mick, right?

They are. They make Worms games - still.

Personal faves are Treasure (Radiant Silvergun, Ikagura etc), Square (they've made very few games without significant merit), Nintendo (including HAL Labs) and Sega.

In terms of western dev studios, DMA (now Rockstar North) have had some fantastic titles, and I had a lot of time for Bullfrog pre-EA.

try saying that after playing worms blast.
    tis a shame they went to sh|t like that, they used to be class.

worms 2/armageddon/world party were deadly, but were all pretty much the same game

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Personal faves are Treasure (Radiant Silvergun, Ikagura etc), Square (they've made very few games without significant merit), Nintendo (including HAL Labs) and Sega.
    i think Sega make great and original arcade games. probably my fav arcade games are developed by sega.

what about Namco, Ridge Racer series,Tekken series.
    didnt like Namco's Ridge Racer or Tekken on the PS2. but the games on the PS1 were great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

square, ff series is the bees

codemasters....for inventing the J-kart

lucasarts in the adventure games days (not now)

SSI for some good strats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Square - obvious.
    Sensible Software - Cannon Fodder, Sensible soccer, mega lo mania.
    Nintendo - zelda, mario, mario kart
    ion storm - deus ex
    looking glass - thief 1/2(ion storm are doing 3), system shock 1/2, flight unlimited 2.
    lucas arts - monkey island 1/2, sam and max, day of the tentacle.(they suck now)
    raven - for their production line fps(they keep me happy)
    interplay - fallout 1/2 the best rpgs of all time.
    the bitmap brothers - old school 16-bit classics such as the chaos engine, xenon 2 speedball 2, magic pockets, gods.
    Silmarils - again with the old school ishar 1/2/3 metal mutant, transarctica(they suck now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Croteam / GodGames - Serious Sam 1 and 2.

iD - Usual games

Lucas Arts - Their early graphic adventures (Hopefully they redeem themselves with Full Throttle 2 and Sam'n'Max 2 next year!)

Rockstar - Grand Theft Auto games.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Nintendo by a street.

Also.

Looking Glass Studio's.
    Valve Software
    Bohemia Interactive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

nintendo

DMA for Body harvest and silicon valley.

and amazed noone said Rare for Goldeneye ,perfect dark up until aliens came into it, DK ,that smashin up stuff on and Jet focre gemini and their old spctrum game :0

kdja

when i say id, that pretty much includes everyone that's used one of their game engines.
    well, raven & valve anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by kdja
    and amazed noone said Rare for Goldeneye ,perfect dark up until aliens came into it, DK ,that smashin up stuff on and Jet focre gemini and their old spctrum game :0
    Aw yeah.... those Donkey Kong Country games were the business! Didn't they do Banjo Kazooie too ??

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Nintendo, Sega and Rare are all tops in my book. Crawfish are doing wonderful things with the GBA too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

1 Blizzard own my pants.
    2 Nintendo
    3 Looking Glass Studios (Whoevers working on Dues Ex 2, Thief 2 now)
    4 Squaresoft
    5 Sierra
    6 Sega
    7 Namco
    8 iD
    9 Psygnosis
    10 Team 17

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

None. If pushed it might have been Sensible Software and Lucasarts a decade ago. You're only as good as your last game and I'd never buy a game solely on the fact that it came from a good dev house, they are all capable of stinkers. Similarly some bad development teams seem to be capable of pulling out very compelling games once in a while that redeem themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

ensemble studios, rare and namco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm surpriesed no one mentioned Valve Software, or Gearbox. (HAlf-Life, Opposing Force, Blueshift)

I'd buy any game developed by either. :D

SquareSoft,
    Raven,
    Lucasarts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd buy anything made ny nintendo. They definitely make the best games. Capcom and Konami's inhouse teams also have never made a bad game. PC developers usually are very hit and miss and Doom 3's gameplay looks like it won't match the graphics. Blizzard though always take their time and it shows, all their games are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hey Drake, I mentioned Valve. Given the amount of half life players out there, I'm surprised no - one else did either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Square(got me hooked since MARIO RPG)
    Guys who make ISS Pro Evo Soccer - Konami
    The Hit Squad - C64 Days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I liked half life, but Valve have done feck all else bar Half Life and 3 (not great imho) Half Life add on's. We were all talking about Team Fortress 2 'coming soon' about a 18 months ago and we have seen nothing still. Even CS:CZ has slipped another few months. Their website say all these people work there, so they must be doing something I suppose..

Dont forget, CS was blokes on the Net, not Valve. How many of us would even remember HL if it was not for CS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Capcom - Street Fighter/Resident Evil/Power Stone
    id - for scaring me sheetless and pushing the boundaries
    Square - For bushido blade and driving emotion type s, obviously
    Sega - For sheer fun and originality
    Nintendo - For the plumber and the hyrulian
    LucasArts - Sam and Max/Money Island/Indy

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CodeMasters: TOCA, Colin McRae Rally, Music, LMA Manager
    Konami: ISS, PES
    Squaresoft: FF series
    Electronic Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

valve = take out of fridge, add some salt to make it more bland, reheat and serve

each portion serves 100000 muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex

Square - For bushido ... obviously

I hope that wasn't sarcasm. Bushido Blade was one of the PlayStation's finest moments!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Namco, Square, Capcom and Rare.

Advertisement