Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any DCU CA students here?

Options
  • 01-08-2002 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have successfully applied to transfer to 2nd Year of Comp. Apps. in DCU. Is there anyone else here from 1st/2nd year that can fill me in on some questions? I have already done a 2-Year Cert in Computing, so I'm familiar with a lot of the modules, but :

- What was 1st and 2nd year like? i.e. Each module that you took?

- I'd like to do CA225 (Assembly Language) in 2nd Year, but a pre-requisite is CA104 (Comp. Architecture II), however, I have already covered this in the Cert. Am I still applicable to do this even though I haven't done the 1st Year module?

Just a general jist of what the course is like. My brother did it years ago, but I think things have changed since then :) TIA,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah I do, unfortunatley for me I was sick and missed some continuos assesment and now I have to repeat first year.
    You should really contact DCU about what you have to do, they may just let you do a CA104 exam, then again you may be forced to do the semester.
    It's a pretty tough course but with a two year cert behind you it might be easier.
    There are 3 base modules in 1st year, programming (java), architechture and maths. You then pick 2 other modules (4 really as it's 2 per semester.)
    First semester was a lot easier than the 2nd IMO.
    Maths is not too hard.
    CA104 and Ca103 are quite doable and if you have experience then they shouldnt really be any bother.
    CA166 is a fair bit harder than CA165, but I reckon that is because Joe Morris is not as good a lecturer as Charlie Daly.
    Of the choice modules well, it depends what you are into. Electronics is quite hard, but the easiest module by far is the business game in semester 2.
    I would reccomend you browse the web site.
    www.compapp.dcu.ie

Good luck in the upcoming year wether it be 1st or 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Thanks for that Makaveli, it sucks that you have to repeat 1st Year!

I'll be onto DCU about the other stuff; I'll see you there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Makaveli
    but the easiest module by far is the business game in semester 2.

ahh fond memories of sitting in the canteen tossing a coin to make decisions... biggest waste of time ever.

if you want any additional advice to Makavellis on 2nd year subjects send Verb a pm (he's just finishing 3rd year now).

I done the old course so theres no point in me offering any opinions on various course threads/modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Waste of time alright, but I still got myself an A in it.
    My teams profits were huge thanks to my expert handling of the business. :)
    Makes me wonder though, maybe I should have gone for a degree in Commerce or Business instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Makes me wonder though, maybe I should have gone for a degree in Commerce or Business instead.

Bah, any fool can do a business degree (hello!)

Given that you've obviously got some business acumen doing the techy course probably makes sense. You could always do a part-time business diploma or some kind of grad dip and get all the practical knowledge of a BBS course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

<grauitous plug>
    And make sure to join redbrick when you get there. It's like boards, only well, different.
    </grauitous plug>

Advertisement