Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB network

Options
  • 01-08-2002 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it was possible to hook up 3 computers using just usb? Maybe one acting as the server and the other two as clients?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

my god man :eek: that must be the wildest thing I've heard in a long time !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

And a HUB, then plug'em all into the hub.
    But you'd be better off getting PCI network cards and installing them in the 3 PC's they are only around 20Euros each and are fairly handy to install.
    Plus they would be faster than the USB thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

As far as I know peer to peer is all ya can do with USB. The peer to peer cable is around €50 in peats, so unless your confined to a laptop with no nic its cheaper to get 2 nics and some crossover cable. faster aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah it could be done alright. Two cables going from pc1 to pc2 and pc3. pc1 will need to have an os that can support ip forwarding on it. ( and needless to say, tcp/ip on the connection )

Cheaper and less hassle to use nic's as the others have said.

Gav

Advertisement