Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd_rewriter for Dell

• 01-08-2002 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Does anybody have a Dell Dimension L933r computer and have they ever tried to get an Internal Rewriter for it. The casing seems to be too small to hold a cd where there is a blank slot. Anybody know if one can be got or have i to get an external one.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    mo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The L933r can only take one CD drive internally. If you want to add a second drive you'll have to go external. The empty bays you refer to are for floppy/zip drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

Thanks Occidental,
    thats just what I thought.
    Oh well. It was a present from my other half I thought it was an improvement on last year I got a frying pan then.... :-(
    mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Why don't u just replace the CD drive that's already in it with the writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

fact, if you spend a couple of hundred squids on a decent writer it's bound to be better than your cd drive.
    but this means that you wont be able to do on the fly recording, youll have to build an image of every cd you want to copy.

Why don't u just replace the CD drive that's already in it with the writer.
    How? Dont I need a cd to read from if I want to copy cds? Not very up on this???
    fact, if you spend a couple of hundred squids on a decent writer it's bound to be better than your cd drive
    Havnt got that much money.... Actually have no money...due to go on holliers next week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

no you don't need another CD drive to copy CD's. You can use one by putting in the CD, copying its contents to the harddrive, then puttingin a blank and burning from the harddrive to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a DVD drive and a CD burner in my main machine.
    Even though that allows me to do on the fly (cd to cd) recording (which is faster), I don't, as sometimes a dirty or scratched CD will fail to read and you've burned half it already and are left with a coaster.

So I always burn an image to a hard drive. It may be slower, but if you have a good burner it's not by much.

Another machine I use at home has one drive only, and thats a brand new LG 40x read, 40x write CD Burner. It reads CD's just fine, no difference that I can notice from the 52X reader that was in it beforehand.

If I copy a full 74minute CD it takes 3 minutes to read to hard disk and about 3.5 minutes to write it back out. Less than 8 minutes in all to copy an entire CD.

So in summary, take out the existing drive. But an LG 40X read, 40X write Burner from www.komplett.ie for 84 Euro including VAT (Only in an offer this week I think), I did, got it within a day or two and it has worked just brilliantly.

Ahhh. And the rewriter will play cds as an ordinary cd thingy drive thing????:confused:
    The present I got (instead of the frying pan) is a liteon smart burn smart-x buffer under run free cd-rewriter with atapi-interface 32x12x40x ???? ever hear of that?
    mo

But an LG 40X read, 40X write Burner from www.komplett.ie for 84 Euro including VAT (Only in an offer this week I think
    is that the samsung one???
    sorry for bombarding you with questions :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mocar
    Ahhh. And the rewriter will play cds as an ordinary cd thingy drive thing????:confused:
    The present I got (instead of the frying pan) is a liteon smart burn smart-x buffer under run free cd-rewriter with atapi-interface 32x12x40x ???? ever hear of that?
    mo

Will play CDs normally, yeah. The only disadvantage you'd have with having your CDRW as the only drive in the 933 is the inability to add a DVD drive.

Lite-ons are nice.

Better than the plextors for a few things (like burning protected Cds) and less than half the price. I'm thinking about getting a nice Lite-On really soon.

If you've got the Lite-On LTR-32123S you're on a real winner:D - this is the one I want to get.

http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/l.html#liteon

Not that you'd be doing anything dodgy with it, but well, you now have the equipment if you wished.

• Advertisement

The Liteon burner will do fine. Replace the exisiting CD with it and it will work as a normal CD Player as well as a burner. With only one drive bay, you can't really add a DVD later (unless you get a DVD/CD/CDR combo drive, but DVD on a pc, big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, modern cdrw drives are very fast at reading cd's, they are also better at reading crap/damaged cd's, due to having better electronics and a more powerful laser.
    I also think they tend to be better put together than your average 52x cdrom drive, and hence quieter. You can't have vibrations all over the place when trying to burn a cd at 40x.

btw quigs, I got that LG 40x and installed it last night. Very impressed, burns a backup of win2k in under 2 minutes, and I don't have 40x media.

Thanks lads will try that tomorrow. I am really impressed with your knowledge:) . That is if it works (joke ) I trust you...
    mo

Thanks lads. Worked brilliantly. Spent the day happily playing with slots and disks and backups.....Bliss.....

Thanks for all your help

mo

Glad to see it worked out for you.

Gerry, about that LG Burner (gone up in price now, glad I got it when I did), it's a great performer, if CloneCD is to be believed, it recently copied a disk for me at 42x on 32X cheapo Dataright CD's.

It really shows up low quality media. I was very surprised to see a batch of Sony 24x CD's write at only 11-12 speed (all of them), wheras a load of Verbatims I got for half the price (also 24 speed) wrote at over 32X consistently.

Advertisement