Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fawlty towers

• 01-08-2002 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

thats a brilliant programme , seen all the episodes bout 10 times but i still laugh at em , love it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Couldn't watch them all the time (which is probably why I haven't coughed up for the DVDs) but watching them every few years is a real treat.

It'd be nice if RTE repeated something else other than OFITG or Keeping Up Appearances all the bleedin time. Goodies anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

brillant the day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i love Fawlty Towers. it's nice to watch an episode every now and again. UK Gold are showing them at the moment in 2 episode blocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

have all the episodes on dvd and ive watched them about a million ties, but still laugh stupid when ever i see them on tv:p

German: "Stop talkin about the war!!!"
    Basil: " You Started it!"
    German: "No i didnt"
    Basil: "Yes you did, you invaded Poland"

Excellent:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Dont know if i would buy the DVDs but its a class program. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Got them on DVD :D

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yeah its brilliant boy , that german one was flippin brilliant , see the crazy legs goin on him at the end a it , lol !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

I watched a proigramme last night on ITV called Payne.

You wouldn't believe the simliarities.

He owns a hotel, the waiter is foreign, nagging wife and nearly everything Fawlty Towers had including a sign outside with it falling down at the start.

How very original, America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Send me to the gallows for this but I find Fawlty Towers very hit and miss comedy. For example the episode with the 'deaf old lady' just annoyed the hell out of me instead of making me smile. On the other hand last Thursdays ep (with the Psychiatrists) was excellent and full of laughs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

haa haa three I saw that two!
    I thought it was the biggest pile of hump, I fell asleep half way through it.

I saw the beginning and it said something like "Based on blah blah by John Cleese..." So I guess they have sold the rights to an American company and let them whore one of the greatest funniest programmes ever made. Gah, it just reeked of those new US comedy shows with extra colour and extra canned laughter and putrid unfunny jokes :o

Although the situation that "Mr. Payne" got himself into was the only real similarity to Fawlty Towers' essence in my view. The waiter just wasn't on a par with Manuel and the guests were just guests not characters.

/me runs off to get American comedy programs out of my system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"Payne" is absolute rubbish. The fact that he actually likes his wife doesn't help. Hammy acting, the few original plots are no damn good and the hotel lobby looks as if it was adapted from a living room from another sitcom.

Not even up to the standard of the poor Judd Hirsch Dear John remake (which let's be honest, was hardly a classic in the first place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

I have just found out another simliarity

Payne only made 10 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

John Cleese is a *genious (?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

your payne similaraties were wrong,chief.neither of them made 10 episodes both made twelve!cleese flogged off rights for an american update bout 5 years ago.payne rubbish was on bbc1 bout three years ago.Like revamping the smiths with micheal jackson on vocals.....i think an evening at the crow

Advertisement