Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy disk drivers..

• 02-08-2002 5:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

hello....again...

damn pc - ok, now i need NEC floppy disk drivers in order for my floppy disk drive to work - i've just been googling away for a good 2hrs and have found nothing. Please help :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What OS, exact problem etc.

Even Win98 has generic floppy drivers.

btw which NEC floppy from Komplett - link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

win 98 se..

i used the "standard floppy disk controller" on win98 to install the NEC drive - but when i tried to make a boot disk, it said "drive is not accessable, retry or cancel" - i just assumed i needed the proper drivers...am i right?

Good news is that your drive doesn`t need any new drivers, i think.

Look at your floppy drive with no disk in it, is that green light on constant. I bet it is.

If it is you have the 34 pin floppy drive cable connected wrong.

Check this and i`ll explain more as i really don`t have anything to do at 5:40 am (seriously :) )

hmm...i just checked out the computer im currently on and i noticed even though the floppy disk drive isn't connected up, the computer still recognises it as being available - probably the same problem on the other computer -

when/if i do get in working, will i need the NEC drivers or would the "standard floppy drive" driver work?

whops..never seen your post and the computer in question is currently at my friends house..so i can't check the green light, but i'm nearly sure that there is either no led at all or that it's never on.. i possibly could have connected it wrong like you said... as well as the ide cable, is there anything else that needs to be connected to it?

• Advertisement

Hey i`m on msn messenger if you wanna add me now(bazhand@hotmail.com)

No you wont need the nec drivers, seeing as Floppy Disks are standard among all pc`s, Windows is compatibile with them(or the drives are compat with windows), either way you don`t need a special driver.

Cable connected incorrectly seems to be the prob.

thx, don't use msn

So where am i going wrong with the connection?
    Would it just be loose or is there something i'm missing?

Well a loose connection i`m sure you could spot your self, but with a floppy drive cable you have to connect the floppy drive after the twist in the cable and also the red line that runs down along side the cable should be nearest the molex power connector that you plug into the back of the drive.

You`ll know when you have it done wrong because when you try to boot the green light will remain on constant indicating that you`ve messed up.

Bingo.

btw what part of Monaghan are you from? I`ve got the feeling yoù`re from the southside(Blaney etc.)

thank you, that should sort me out - never knew there it had to be so specific when connecting floppy drives.

btw: i'm from Ballybay ...you all know where i'm talking about..:)

Do what i did and rip the floppy drive out and feckit in the bin, i use zip 100`s now as i`ve lost 2 many college projects with floppies, and yes i do know where BallaBhey is bhoy leck.

I`m from Scotstown myself so have no room to slag.

What sorta setup(computer) are you running, did you buy all from komplett as well.

• Advertisement

hey, we don't talk like that....your thinking of the people at least a mile out the road..

setup (computer):

Gateway:
    p3 500mhz
    384mb 100thingys sdram
    geforce 2mx
    20gig hd, forget the make
    **** sound card
    **** motherboard
    really good moniter, although, again...gateway...19inches of pleasure

anyways, do you know Deirdre Rooney, she taught me the violin for 3yrs when i was younger - hmm....is this a chat room?

Advertisement