Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need sugar...

• 02-08-2002 6:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    Lets begin..

Sugar has a really good effect on me, in that, it makes me happy and bubbly, the way i should be, the way i want to be.
    But before i take a bar of chocolate or a can of coke, i feel really ...well, not unhappy....just ..content, i become quite moody and little things annoy me.

If i want to be happy and bubbly through-out the day then i have to load up on sugar - i know we all feel bad sometimes...but without sugar..i seem to feel bad all of the time..
    I know sugar usually gives everybody that extra quick release of energy when needed, but i seem to always need it if i am to be happy. Is this strange?

Also, sugar tends to be unhealthy at the best of times, is there any healthier substitute i could take instead?

I know this topic is a little strange and to some it might seem quite childish but i just want to hear other peoples opinion on this subject..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That would depend if your snorting or injecting the sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a few things here:
    happy and bubbly, the way i should be, the way i want to be.
    but without sugar..i seem to feel bad all of the time..

but i seem to always need it if i am to be happy.

There's more here than "I need sugar". Try to get to the root causes of your unhappiness. Just like with alcoholics and other holics, you're using sugar as a crutch.

The two you point out - chocolate and coke are notorious.

Chocolate contains endorphins (or some other feel-good hormone) and also some other chemicals which specifically affect women's feel-good centres (you didn't specify your gender). Hence why you've heard people say "women prefer chocolate to sex" - some of them actually do. If you're male, these chemicals don't affect you very much at all, but the endorphins do, and if you're eating a lot of chocolate, it can become mildly addictive.

Coke, well, is coke. It contains shítloads of sugar and caffeine, so that's why you feel better after a can - you're addicted. Withdrawals form caffeine are slight (compared to stuff to like nicotine), but are noticeable, and that's probably why you're irritable without it.

Firstly, I would try and see why you feel the need to comfort eat (that's what you're doing). You may just be naturally nervous, or there may be some other stuff worrying you. Try to address these.

Get off Coke. Coke is lethal, both from the acidic content of the drink, and the amount of sugar in it. Seeing as you're addicted to caffeine, go onto some non-sugar caffeine alternatives - Coffee, or diet coke/pepsi. You may still need the caffeine to wake yourself up, but at least you're not fattening yourself up with the sugar.

Sugar alternatives - nutrasweet, if you can't stand coffee without sugar.

Stop eating chocolate every day. Period. Caffeine is an appetite suppressant. When you feel the need for chocolate, buy a can of diet coke. There's enough sugar packed into 'healthy' foods - you can't afford to go adding more......

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Umm, sorry but you may want to get checked out by the doctor. Hypoglycaemia is a low blood sugar problem.

check
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/bloodsugarlow.htm
    for some info on hypoglycaemia.

But, yeah, when I was young I loved sugar sugar sugar, it made me happy and energetic and I loved it. I rarely have sugar now, don't feel the need or the rush anymore. (I'm 27) As Seamus says, it could just be a vice of yours, an addiction which would be good if you could stave off...

How old are you? (if you dont mind me asking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sugar itself isnt bad for you. the body needs it.
    too much sugar on the other hand is bad for you.
    theres nothing wrong with a quick pick me up with chocolate and lucozade, but only if you are tired or are run down or something like that.

however, there is something wrong with needing sugar to be happy. maybe you should get some sleepand get a check up.
    you could indeed be suffering from low blood-sugars, and a more balanced diet will provide that. it could be a simple case of bad diet, being supplimented by huge amounts of sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I've craved sugar just as much as you for years, but I am a hypoglycaemic. Try eating more slow-release carbohydrates (starchy food), drink stuff like fruit juice (if you cant give up caffeine just drink diet coke),lots of water and keep your mealtimes fairly constant. Treat yourself once in a while. If you cant stop eating chocolate every day, get something small like a milky way or cadburys fudge. Whatever you do, dont try to come off all this at once, you'll just say to yourself 'f*ck this' and you'll have that mental block.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Unregistered
    hi,
    Lets begin..

Are you my girlfriend posting, pretending to be me?:D

Seriously though, it's not a big problem in itself. I take in a lot of sugar - I've tried to cut down quite a bit lately. I've started drinking diety drinks instead - should make a big difference for a start. Still refreshes me in the same way so I don't seem to be able to tell the difference from a sugar POV.

Watch out how much you take in - apparently far too many people are developing diabetes as a result of a poro diet with lots of sugar. May be worth a check up for this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

maybe its a medical thing..

Im allergic to sugar [having it drains my energy]. but because im allergic i also crave it, [im being deadly serious] i cant go a day without gettin these horrible cravings for choc, or 7up etc... and when i get it i fell great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    maybe its a medical thing..

Im allergic to sugar [having it drains my energy]. but because im allergic i also crave it, [im being deadly serious] i cant go a day without gettin these horrible cravings for choc, or 7up etc... and when i get it i fell great:)

Thats doesnt stop you going out and getting as much chocolate and coke as you can :D .. i know that for a fack too ... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I heard a few years back that if Chocolate was only discovered today it would instantly be banned. The effects as seamus mentioned are more extreme than you might think.

On a slightly different note, back in Feb i gave up Caffeine, coffee (even decaff as its a form of laxative) and soft drinks (carbonated anyway). I have not looked back since!! Without caffeine i sleep better and have not had a headache!!

Advertisement