Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop Pretending

• 02-08-2002 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

....cos I am. Folks, its autumn out there. From my window right now, I can see the rain coming down with no sign of stopping. The sky is always dark, the temperature is always low.

So there’s a good argument to start a thread on why autumn is the best season. There's nothing unpleasant about sitting in a warm bright house, watching the rain fall from safe inside. There's no pretence that the days are going to be nice and you can coat yourself in layers of clothes. You can put on a few pounds, too, eating deserts made from all those autumn fruits (apple crumble and custard, anyone?). The TV listings get so much better. School starts again with that smell of fresh ink on paper.

Anyone else got a preference for autumn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I do believe you just used "school starts again" as a reason why we should be happy that it rains on us constantly.

You logic is lost on me.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

is it just me or has it been autumn for the past six months, only another 3 months before winter:(
    for the first time in years i have carried my jacket around with me everywhere i go.

i'm not looking forward to another 3 months of this weather. i want it to be winter, at least the weather will change some little bit. maybe i will wake up some morning and it wont be pissing rain but the ground will be frozen and cars crashing out side my house again like they do every winter.

its true that TV listings change, new programs fly over from the states many might be crap and may never played again on but at least its some thing new to watch.

roll on winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

There's no waves in the summer so there's no surf. I can't wait for winter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

hmmm, not quite autumn yet I think... I know what it says on paper, but in the last few years the weather's only really turned autumny in October...

As for how I feel about it as a season:

/me breaks out the long coat, long scarf and leather gloves

I love it, bundling up in lots of clothes, Hallowe'en comes round, I start looking forward to my birthday and then Christmas... not bad all in all!!

In fact I think I like ALL seasons. I just hate rainy days.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    In fact I think I like ALL seasons. I just hate rainy days.

You are in the wrong part of the world so, on these isles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    I just hate rainy days.

I hear ye sister, i hear ye...
    You done just spake the everlastin truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I like some light drizzle, and damnnit there's no such thing as bad weather. Anyway its like this 350/365 days a year. I have always like autumn, but spring clearly owns it. things grow n stuff, all we have in autumn is the rustic copper colour of dead leaves. I much prefer the green of spring, and also my burfday is in spring so its clearly better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'm not sure which I prefer. Winter or Summer. Winter has that Santa guy, who seems to be fairly sound. But Summer has holidays and more beerlarieness than Winter. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dave
    I'm not sure which I prefer. Winter or Summer. Winter has that Santa guy, who seems to be fairly sound.

You watch that Santa guy. He stopped coming to me when I was seven after I found out he wasn't really

Don't be so mean - there's bound to be one person out there who doesn't know:D:p

Last edited by Monty - the one and only on 02-08-2002 at 12:35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Doesn't know what?

Is there something I should know about Santa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i dont really mind any of the seasons, the only thing i hate is wind, cause the window beside my bed is cracked and it makes mad noises like its going to smash when the wind hits it. so when its windy i never get any sleep. cause im worrying about t breaking and killing me:( :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

i dont really mind any of the seasons, the only thing i hate is wind, cause the window beside my bed is cracked and it makes mad noises like its going to smash when the wind hits it. so when its windy i never get any sleep. cause im worrying about t breaking and killing me

Move your bed:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My theory on weather: summer weather systems will heat us roughly around december, where the temperature will rise by roughly one or two degrees, causing what may have been a white christmas to continously rain.

At least thats my guess :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well has been a glorious week here in C'bar, 20 - 28 degrees most days , we did see a cloud on Thursday though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I ****ing love the Autumn...usaully the time when we get the best weather in this country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I like autumn.
    For pretty muhc the same reasons Clain mentions.
    College starts again (daily net access), not shíting on around the house, warmth, pints goodness.
    The heat somes on around september, the women take off clothes and it's a good time of year to be a heterosexual man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I agree with most of what has been said about Autumn so far. But I find it's mostly got to do with the activities that occur that time of year, rather than the weather. The weather in Ireland doesn't change too much from season to season. The temperature may fluctuate a few degrees but that's about it. It rains in Summer, it rains in Winter. If the Sun shines in summer, then it will do the same in Winter (but I didn't say it will be warm, that's a temperature thing). Apart from that it feckin rains. Anything out of that weather pattern is called luck. ie. a couple plan a weekend away in another part of the country, and they pray the weather will be nice. If it were another county they were going to, they probably wouldn't have to pray for a preffered type of weather, they'd just know.

But as a few of you have said, Autumn is a time that I associate with starting college, getting to see some people I haven't seen in a while, and catching up on all those drinking binges I didn't seem to get around to during the summer months. I think once I start working, I won't be able to distinguish the various seasons as I can while still attending college. :p

;-phobos-)

Advertisement