Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to learn PHP

Options
  • 02-08-2002 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please suggest a good site for a beginner to get to grips with PHP.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Download the PHP manual from php.net which Verb has already put up a link for, and then reference it [the manual] using PHPBuilder (again Verb has provided the link), which is a very good resource.

There is another site like PHPBuilder .. but I've forgotten, and I lost the link along with my old hard-driver here in work :( It's sounds something like PHPBuilder though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/PHP/

zend.com is excellent. I actually read a lot of the tutorials on there, which is odd for me.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I actually read a lot of the tutorials on there, which is odd for me.

Wierdo :p:D

I have to stand over ... here now

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks guys,

I had a look a some sites I found on google but not knowing anything abou the subject I wanted some of your ideas on what was good. And now I have a great place to start. Thanks.

Here I go into the great unknown (for me).

B.M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by boogie man
    Can anyone please suggest a good site for a beginner to get to grips with PHP.
    http://www.net-language.com/workshops/Default.asp?workshop=21

Speaking of PHP, anyone interested in starting/joining a PUG? There's already WEBDEV, but that's: a) a bit Linux biased; and b) not tied to PHP anyway. So, anyone? I'd be happy to host a website / mailing list / forum / blah. I'll even register the domain, as long as it's not an IE! :)

Lemming, I don't usually read tutorials, I'm more of hands-on, brute-force, I'll-figure-it-out-if-it-kills-me kinda coder. You know, the hard way? Some of the ones on zend.com catch my eye occasionally though.

Now, go and stand over... there.

adam

Lemming, I don't usually read tutorials, I'm more of hands-on, brute-force, I'll-figure-it-out-if-it-kills-me kinda coder. You know, the hard way? Some of the ones on zend.com catch my eye occasionally though.

Are you trying to insinuate something sunshine? :p

In case you are ... I am no stranger to RTFM or the age-old "I wonder what'll happen if .... " ;)

Now, go and stand over... there.

Pfffff .. you're slow. I already am :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

Speaking of PHP, anyone interested in starting/joining a PUG? There's already WEBDEV, but that's: a) a bit Linux biased; and b) not tied to PHP anyway. So, anyone? I'd be happy to host a website / mailing list / forum / blah. I'll even register the domain, as long as it's not an IE! :)

adam

sounds good to have a PUG. If you go for it, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Speaking of PHP, anyone interested in starting/joining a PUG?
    Sure. 'Twould be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

i'll buy that for a dollar

Gav

Gah, I leave posts scattered all over the boards...

So, any suggestions for how we should go about it? Should we just ask for a community board here to get started, and see how we go?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

Hey I would be up for it also
    I have done some work with php and interfacing to mysql

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Gah, I leave posts scattered all over the boards...

So, any suggestions for how we should go about it? Should we just ask for a community board here to get started, and see how we go?

adam

I'd certainly be up for it. I'd prefer a mailing list than a board but both are good.

.logic.

I like both meself, so how about I set up a Phorum install, linked to a mailing list? I'll set it up on a generic hostname over the weekend and see if it still works. If I'm sober at any stage.

adam

I like both meself, so how about I set up a Phorum install, linked to a mailing list? I'll set it up on a generic hostname over the weekend and see if it still works. If I'm sober at any stage.

adam

Heya Adam,
    Any update on this? We could just request a community forum here, save the hassle of setting one up.

.logic.

Any update on this? We could just request a community forum here, save the hassle of setting one up.

Sorry guys, I was made PRO of CorkWAN in the meantime, which has been eating into my time. Yes, a community forum would be a good idea to get us started I reckon. Could we get a note about it in the Programming sticky?

adam

Alright I'll stick in a request on Admin and when/if it's setup I'll get Trojan to sticky it here. Could anyone interested in the PHP forum post on: this thread noteing their interest.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd be interested in a PHP users group.

(Yet more mail ... thank God <EDIT>Some deity of no particular affiliation</EDIT> for procmail)

This is what happens when you're rushing ...

A community forum would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Mailing lists are Good as are boards.

As i already said in the admin forum, maybe have it as a sub sction of this board.

Paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement