Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

site redesign - opinion wanted - be nice

Options
  • 02-08-2002 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

not trying to blow my own trumpet but i think
    this is the nicest site ive done so far,

it's for crowleys a chartered accountancy firm

the original site is manky so they have employed me to redesign,
    here is an almost finished demo page

any constructive critisism or comments are very welcome,
    ...but be nice!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Yes it's a major improvement on the last one. well done.

Have you checked it out in netscape or opera? The left navigation is blinking on and off. Never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Nice improvement there.. although the bottom of my screen is a little bare ....If you add another row in with no lext just   and the same background it will fill it up a bit. Just a thought though :D

Nice work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Nice upgrade... a few things though...

1. broken image on bottom left.
    2. the curve in the top left is a bit pixelatted around the edges. It looks like you just copied with a white background and filled the white with the maroon colour.
    3. Microsoft had a falling out with Java and using xp, and entering the site it looked to install java. I think it is the change of images on the nav on rollover that is causing it but they look pretty cool.
    4. The links on the white background with the shadow as the rollover is a little tacky and will add to download time. Maybe try a simple link, visited, hover, active css for these links. They can turn out much neater and professional.

You asked for our opinion. Take it or leave it mate but that's my advice. Great improvement from the orignal though.

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

thanks dave n others,

the broken image on the left is the java problem you were talking about.. there's a little news scroller applet... maybe this is a bad idea, i had no idea that windows xp n java weren't ...eh getting along.

..Maybe i can use a javascript news scroller instead??

as for the white drop shadow links, that are admittedly tacktastic, i never thought of using an style sheet for the a:hover, visited etc. have you seen any nice implementations of this?
    ill definitely look into it.

thanks for all the advice and constructive criticism,
    much appreciated.

mcik

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Here is a style sheet nav for you. We are launching a new company web site shortly so you can view the use of it in it.

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    .navtext {
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 10px;
    color: #4B5689;
    }
    a.nav:link {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    a.nav:visited {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }
    a.nav:hover {
    color: #A6ACC5;
    }
    a.nav:active {
    color: #FFCC00;
    }
    -->
    </style>

==========================

<td height="15" valign="bottom" class="navtext">
    <a href="default.asp" class="nav">home</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=1" class="nav">about us</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=2" class="nav">web design</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=3" class="nav">graphic design</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=4" class="nav">printing</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=5" class="nav">client area</a> | <a href="category.asp?c=6" class="nav">contact</a>
    </td>

==========================

You should maybe look at integrating a flash news story system which is linked to a database for the information. It is not too difficult to do with Studio MX. You should maybe check it out. I know I am staying away from Java Applets with this bust up between MS and Java.

If I can help you in any other way, just shout.

Dave

• Advertisement

thanks dave,
    that's damn bloody sound of ye!

regards,

..mcik*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You should try encoding those e-mail links on the contact page so no nasty peeps start with "da spam" :)

ive never done that b4..

do you mean do something like..

email them <a href="mailto:somebody@somewhere.com"> here </a>

and hide (visibly) their email address?
    or what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

looks nice, - well done.

(viewing it in Opera 5.0 on Mac OS-X)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by nahdoic

Have you checked it out in netscape or opera? The left navigation is blinking on and off. Never seen anything like it.

Yeah i get this too.. using Opera... other than that its a serious improvement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by whiteshadow
    do you mean do something like..
    email them <a href="mailto:somebody@somewhere.com"> here </a>
    and hide (visibly) their email address?
    or what do you mean?

No, something along the lines of this...
    </a>To submit content please e-mail: <a href="&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;&#105;&#110;&#102;&#111;&#64;&#98;&#101;&#107;&#107;&#101;&#114;&#45;&#115;&#116;&#117;&#100;&#105;&#111;&#115;&#46;&#99;&#111;&#109;&#63;&#115;&#117;&#98;&#106;&#101;&#99;&#116;&#61;&#82;&#101;&#113;&#117;&#101;&#115;&#116;&#32;&#73;&#110;&#102;&#111;&#114;&#109;&#97;&#116;&#105;&#111;&#110;">
                          <script language="JavaScript">
    <!-- Begin
    document.write('<a href=\"mailto:submit'+ '@' + 'seinwars.com?Subject=SeinWars.com Submission&Body=I would like to submit the following...\">');
    document.write('submit@seinwars.com</a>');
    // End -->
    </script>

****EDIT****
    You'll have to actually look at the source of the page below to see how it works becuase obviously the above is appearing encoded, just to show it works :)
    ****/EDIT****

You can view it in action on this page...
    http://www.seinwars.com/submit.htm

I started using this on all my sites in an effort to combat spam. I'm not actually sure how in fact how to do it other than w/ dreamweaver as I just use the "encode e-mail" extension. You can find the extension here (once you register)...
    http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/dreamweaver/

In c.6 months of use I have not had any spam to the submit[@]seinwars addy or any other new addy's I've created using encoding, I can only say it works :)

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I think I prefer the original design :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Make the "F" in "The firm" caps, looks odd.

If the original's left-side menubar blended in better, and the graphics werent hideously resized, it'd look alright. And whats with the flaming-section-of-a-circle thinger? Is it their logo or something? Seems needless. Looks better implemented on the new one mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ah, now that I look at it in Opera for Windows I see the blinking... and I see the cause of it too...

in your stylesheet you have the following class definition :
    .nav
    {
    font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size : 10pt;
    font-weight : bold;
    color : #FFFFFF;
    ; text-decoration: blink
    }

remove the line:
    ; text-decoration: blink

and the menu will stop blinking.

Why's that line there in the first place???

ah bard..nice one,

that looks much better now..
    ... i dunno where that line came from!? :o

yes that cresent thingy is their logo,
    and however pointless they are adament about
    having it on the site...

i think i'll get rid of those links as DJB suggested
    and just use stylesheet links...

Advertisement