Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL over ISDN

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nildram touts ISDN to wires-only ADSL migration
    Nildram the UK ISP has set up a migration service for
    BT ISDN users to upgrade to wires-only ADSL.

The conversion process from Highway ISDN to Nildram Home, or Office, ADSL service costs £27.99, payable to BT. Basically you're upgrading from 128kbps to an always-on 512Kbps connection.

Here's how it works.

BT manages the conversion of a BT provided ISDN line to PSTN and subsequent activation of the customers' ADSL service. Should the conversion fail for technical reasons, the engineer converts the line back to the original service and all associated charges are cancelled.

[...]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sensible policies for a better Britain. Makes a lot of sense - and loses less goodwill than say "gimme money to convert back to pstn - if it (DSL) doesn't work then you'll be paying me again to convert up"

I thought the problem of DSL over a digital line had been sorted in some way without having to convert back to analogue at all though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I presume Eircom will be on to Nildram first thing Tuesday morning... http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/26512.html
    If you read the story, this is not ADSL over ISDN. This is ADSL over PSTN, but with a risk free and dirt cheap conversion of the customer's line from ISDN to PSTN. If ADSL doesn't work on the downgraded line, the customer pays nothing and gets the ISDN line back. Pretty sweet deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've been talking to a guy who is trying to get adsl in to the shop he owns and eircom did the line test through the phone line that they had on site which meant no getting rid on the lsdn line.
    Since then eircom have said that they we too far from the exchange (it's in two minute walking distance if even) and they also don't know how to link too lines together which how much they want this to work

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by sceptre
    Thought the problem of DSL over a digital line had been sorted in some way without having to convert back to analogue at all though?
    Yup. It's the main way they do it in Germany, and it's not that hard. As it is, DSL over PSTN has to avoid using the bit of the line down low where it expects voice to be. All they have to do is raise that threshold a bit so it avoids the bigger chunk of the of the line that ISDN lives in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    I presume Eircom will be on to Nildram first thing Tuesday morning...

And look, a pig has just flown by my window! :D

Advertisement