Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build what do you think...

• 02-08-2002 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i was thinking of getting a Asus A7V333 RAID mainly to make sure that it was compatiable with my asus geforce 4 ti4200 or mabey a Abit AT7 Legacy Free what do you think??also both of these have on-board RAID is it possible to connect harddrives to the RAID controller and not use the RAID i.e mirroring or striping so i could have 6 IDE devices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes you can use them as normal ide controllers, you will then have 4 ide channels, and 2 devices per channel, for a total of 8 devices. Do not base your motherboard buying decision on the brand of graphics card, it has no relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

thanx.they are both really good boards but i wanted to get the same make of board and graphics card as i heard there was compability issues with geforce 4s and certian motherboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

ok, well I know the gainward gf4 had compatibility problems, and there were problems fitting some gf4's onto some epox boards, but I don't think you'd have a problem with the abit or the asus.

Anyway, regarding the ide controllers. Remember not to put cd drives onto the raid controller, as this does not usually work. Also, if installing win2k or xp, they won't see the controller unless you install a driver. So simplest strategy would be:

Connect hd and cdrom/dvd to the standard via ide channels. Install windows, then install the drivers for your raid controller, then throw the hard drives onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

thanx gerry thats what i was hoping 2 do which board do u think would be better???for both stability and speed that Legacy Free idea sounds quite cool

Advertisement