Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something.....'different'

• 02-08-2002 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭

My first PC release, but 3rd song on the PC since I've started trying to learn all about the wonderful world beyond Trackers on ye Olde amiga. Not really dancey, and a wee bit odd, it's a remix of the title tune to an old Commodore 64 game called 'Zybex'. I wrote if for upload to http://remix.kwed.org and thought I may aswell pop a link here too. Please let me know what you think, be as critical as you can.

Since the link doesn't seem to want to work directly you can grab it from www.whisperbetweenworlds.com . The link is at the top of the main page.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've just d/l ed Zybex, it sounds a bit like a piece of 80s' movie synth music in parts - I see a chase scene at night!

I've listened only through 'phones at this point. The mix sounds out, muddy bass around the 70-80 hz mark. Also is the fizzy/fuzzy top end deliberate or is it just too loud? Finally (!) there's a "hole" in the middle of the stereo field. I think it just needs something louder at the centrepoint.

Okay this is 5 mins later I've listened back through my hi-fi
    and the bass problem is'nt apparent, but the hole still is.

How long have you been messin' with music? Trackers and Amigas
    go back to the stone age! Well nearly...they first came out in what, 1982-ish? Even I was young then. PCs were of course crap back then.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually I thought of the bass as more slippy-sloppy-swampy :D. It is deliberate.
    The bass is 10% right, Drum/Snare ~5% l/r, hihat shot and long about 7%. (Of course this means nout in the 'real' world, but them's the Sonar settings). I've been playing around with Sonar for about 6 months, but just a few days every month (I travel a lot for work). And it is kinda meant to be 80's, that's when the main theme was release :) (So feel free to pop on those old white jackets and roll up the sleeves)
    I last used a tracker about 8 years ago, which was the last time I wrote something before starting to use Sonar.
    Of course you're right about the mixing being naff. I really havent'a clue yet about it. Also I can only mix them here on headphones (sony 7506) as the only other speakers I have access to are a set of altec lansings with a fkd subwoofer, and I know imaging is very different through cans. TBH I was in 2 minds about uploading it, but since so far I've spent ages playing around with the other 2 tracks (Adding new things as I learn more) I said screw it, it's 'just' a fun tune, and popped it up.

Thanks for the feedback btw, I really do appreciate it (it's worth a lot more than 'Nice...er.....bye'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listened again this morning on a portable tape deck and with the speakers only about a foot apart the hole did'nt show much.

This just illustrates how hard it is to do a mix that fits all
    listening devices, in fact its nearly impossible.

Its easy to say this but DONT MIX THROUGH HEADPHONES! You'll never get a good mix as frequencies behave quite differently when they are'nt travelling through air. Also one is inclined to crank up the volume which can mean a weak sound when listened back at "normal" levels. I learnt this myself before I bought some desktop speakers, then I started using my hi-fi to check the mix. One day I'll actually buy some proper moniters! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I havent actually heard the track yet, it's still downloading. But I'd just like to say that the Whisper Between Worlds logo on your site is really cool. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I know Headphones are far from ideal (even monitors), they're handy to start with but not to finish up. I just bought some std. near field monitors (midiman Sp8bs, not professional but decen for the price range...and they have a cool blue LED :D ) but infortunately up until now (And into next week) the only real chance I get to work on my music is when I'm at work-work (I do a month on/month off, so my 'studio' here is a laptop, USB Quattro Audio interface, Evolution Mk125 kbd and the earphones).

Thanks for the compliment on the logo Makaveli, it's another hobby, though usually they're nice looking but unreadable. I've done 7/8 over the years and I'll probably stick them up on the site too for a laugh. Hope ya like the toon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement