Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear Emergency *cough* "Plan"

Options
  • 02-08-2002 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed here before but I just received iodine tablets from those good people at the department yesterday....

The reassuring little orange box of six tablets informs me that the adut dosage is two tablets... should take care of three of the ten people in my family...

I know that in the event of an accident we are all very much screwed anyway with or without iodine but this just seems
    funny..

:D

I feel safe.... very, very safe...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

According to the irish govts stratagy we can just "duck and cover" in case of nuclear disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless you're pregnant, breast-feeding or under 18 the iodine tablets aren't going to do anything for your poor thyroid.

It was a piss-poor PR attempt, plain and simple. Anyone who's complaining about too much money being spent on anything by the government should start with this one - an expensive PR exercise that not enough people have seen through. Realistically it's all the fault of two things: Joe Jacobs' ego and the newspapers' high horse on an issue they didn't understand: "Iodine, that's what we need - it's a cure-all. Where's our damn iodine?"

I've sent mine back, pointed out that I'm 27, that they know this and they should have better things to do than to waste taxpayers money. Idiots.

You can always call into your local health board and request some more. Or phone 1890 44 33 22. Use the word "idiots" liberally (for the opposite reasons that I've used) and tell them you want the ones I returned if they're feeling cheap:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

sceptre, read this

http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/4825fnl.htm

of course, 1 dose per person wont do a lot, but its a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Why the feck was there so much controversy when Joe Jacobs admitted all idoine pills had past the sell by date?Surely the Irish people didnt actually think that our government had planned for a toxic rainy day,indeed a nuclear winter.Come on!This is Ireland for chrisakes!You know-that country which vigiourously works on a new government scheme(e.g speed cameras,Gardai stopping UK beef coming in at the borders)for a few months before getiing lazy.The nation where a lack of forsight strecths from town councils to dail meetings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

What does it matter with these feckin' tablets. As soon as stellafiend goes off well all be dead in seconds! Evacuate the country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

[moan]

I'd like to add that my family never recieved any iodine tablets. There are, in all, 7 people(including myself). My sister has a child of 3 years, and if Sellafield is attacked or there is an accident, she will be the most at risk(The 3 year old). She didnt recieve any Iodine tablets.

And if Iodine tablets are only effective on Pregnant women or people under 18, what the fluck are the rest of us supposed to do?

Duck and Cover?

Nuclear Radiation will undoubtedly affect more than my Thyroid gland, those men, those "zeks" sent into Chernobly to clean up were over 18s year old(although I am sure some were below that age)suffered severe radiation poisoning.

I'm a little pissed by the lack of foresight here, that the rest of us seem to be ignored, and that during explosion @ Sellafield, you'll survive because A)The Gulf Stream blows the other way and B)You took your own steps to insure your survival.

[/endmoan]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

well if youre that worried about it, you can buy potassium iodide tablets from pharmaceutical companies, instead of waiting for the goverment to send them

it wont protect you from "radiation" though, the way it works is it saturates your thyroid gland with normal iodine, so any radioactive iodine that is ingested by your body (in food, up to a day later) just spreads across your body instead of being concentrated into your (small) thyroid gland and causing major damage to it.
    pure iodine is poisonous to humans if ingested i think, thats why you get potassium iodide tablets, and not iodine (the bottled stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

if sellafield blows wouldnt well all be better off with poison tablets instead of dying a horrible death from radiation poisoning or barely surviving to produce malformed children living in a toxic playground

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Would the moaners about Sellafield please go and learn something about it, so that your complaints and concerns at least have the slightest bearing on reality?

Thank you.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

can u feel the *love* :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Im reminded of the simpsons when Homer narrowly aviods death in a nuke attack while looking for a good bomb shelter.
    "Oooh a gary larson calender!I dont get it,i dont get it..........."

Advertisement