Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

enhanced DSL static IP Competition

Options
  • 02-08-2002 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi NG,

I will reward 50 Euro in Cash for the first person that is in the position to get my D-Link 504 Router connected so I can access a Videoserver (Webserver) connected to the Router via the LAN from the outsite world (WAN). I have everything I supposingly need : Router, connection working fine, Same IP assigned from eircom all the time, Block of IP Addresses and I spend 5 days now talking to DLink support getting this to work. No success.

Anyone ?

Thanks

rolo2912

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

The obvious answer is that you need to configure the router to forward a port the the webserver on the lan.

i have a smc barricase router and to do this its in a section called "virtual server".

but seeing as you spent so long talking to d link support, this would seem too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

That is what I am kind of missing on the d-link router.

Support is not may-west they just tell you it is not working because it is pppoE and not pppoA. The have a static route configuration setting but support was not in the position to tell me what to put in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You need to enter the port you want the outside world to see the web page on. e.g. 3000. And then the IP address and port to forward to on the inside. e.g. 192.168.0.190:80 as on my machine. It allready knows its on IP.
    You would then connect from the outside like this:
    If your Internet address was e.g. 34.56.212.56

http://34.56.212.56:3000

The reason that its a good idea to put it on a funny port from the outside is that its more difficult for people to find it.

I've had a look at the on-line manual. Page 18 is what you need.

Port redirection:
    Internet Port:
    Make this what you want the outside world to see this on internal machine on. (You can make it the same as the inside port if you like).
    Local Port:
    This is the port that the internal machine is using
    Protocal:
    Leave this as TCP
    Local computer:
    Give this the IP of your internal machine that you want to access from the outside.
    And that should do it.

Hi,

sounds interesting but I still dont get how the WAN knows that the IP of the Video/Webserver is on this LAN.

I will try your fix on Monday and if it works you'll be sure to get your 50 Euros.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

sounds interesting but I still dont get how the WAN knows that the IP of the Video/Webserver is on this LAN.

If I understand what you're asking correctly, port forwarding will redirect the traffic from external sources to the machine on your LAN that's running the server.

The WAN doesn't know that the server is internal to your network. An external user trying to connect to your webserver would use the external IP and port number. The router takes care of the details of forwording the packets to your internal network.
    I used port forwording on my network to make several machines on different ports appear externally to all be on the same External internet IP.

I dont even need to use different ports.

1. I have 8 (2 Markers incl.) public IP addresses provided by
    eircom.
    2. One is taken by the router (the one that eircoms server assigns on connection) and the other 5 can be used.
    3. I only need one to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Using port forwarding will be securer. However you can as you say, give the webserver on the lan a public ip address, or a public ip address alias. At your router, forward all traffic to that address to the internal address ( provided you are using aliases ).

The router shouldn't have any problems forwarding an ip.

Gav

Originally posted by Kev
    The obvious answer is that you need to configure the router to forward a port the the webserver on the lan.

i have a smc barricase router and to do this its in a section called "virtual server".

but seeing as you spent so long talking to d link support, this would seem too easy.

This worked on the DLink finally. Kev was the first one recommending port forwarding. I offered Euro 50 to him but he wants me to make a donation towards boards.ie. I will do so.

Thanks everybody for your help.

• Advertisement

Setup the video server machines with the static IP's provided by Eircom. Give these machines the default gateway of the firewall and then set the subnet mask on the firewall and the machines with the static IP's to 255.255.255.248. (Subnet mask for 8 IP's)
    Now try pinging the internet from the machines with the static IP's. You may also need to setup some sort of static routes on the Dlink router also. Try this first and see what it does.

Advertisement