Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS in Ireland?

• 02-08-2002 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know if there are any decent maps that can be used with a GPS of Ireland? I know in america they have nice fancy ones for use with a pc in the car www.dashpc.com but does anyone know of a similar thing in Ireland? Just curious

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Apparently the Ordnance Survey wanted an immensely high fee to allow their maps be used for in car GPS. It's likely that we'll never see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Robbo
    Apparently the Ordnance Survey wanted an immensely high fee to allow their maps be used for in car GPS.

Figures. Afraid of big bad digital are they?

Autoroute 2002 maps (including Irish ones obviously) can be downloaded on to a pocket PC (must be a real Pocket PC™ running Windows though) - is there a GPS addon for this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

If you go to www.mapflow.ie they have some pretty detailed maps, not sure how usable they are without an internet connection. I use AutoRoute 2002 on my laptop which has pretty good detail almost all roads show up in it...there are sometimes some large inaccurcies when using a GPS though. The detail for Ireland is awful compared with the street level mapping available for the UK or France or most other places...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I am seriously getting pissed off with the price of things here in Ireland! We all seem to get screwed for the price of things. Irish companies are continually demanding more and more. With €ircom sitting right at the top of the list.

Thanks for the help though guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't know if it'll be of much/any help but this is what the OSI have to say about their GPS service
    http://www.osi.ie/gps/index.asp

(they do mention the word "free" four times without once putting the word "not" in front so I suppose that can't be a bad thing)

• Advertisement
Advertisement