Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balkanisation of the Boards?

• 02-08-2002 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

quote:
    Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    hey thats reaaly cool , this is about my 2nd time in this forum, hey man you are very good , u make that yourself?

Question- Are there too many boards at boards.ie.

This thought struck me as I was checking a thread I started
    on the Dance/Electronic board. It gets only very modest traffic
    as the above quote suggests, with obvious consequences if you want to get your latest mp3 noticed (ahem!). Why are there different sections, should'nt music just be music rather than any specific type? Ditto Sport which has died the death since football, sorry Soccer was spun off on its own. I hav'nt even clicked Rugby it being summer.

There are proberly are few more others could think of, maybe its time for a review of the splits policy, fewer boards would proberly help strengthen communal feelings too. Though some may prefere less of that sort of thing!

Mike.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its a delicate balance between splitting and over-whelming people with info.

Also, summer is a bad time to decide such things as the colleges are out and our impressions drop drastically as people go abroad and lose net connections etc

Its something we watch closely, for example the extreme sports board seems to be thriving and with the new personalisation work we've done (and more to come) you will be able to tailor boards to your tastes.

Boards has, and will continue to be, an experiment in community. The trick is not to be fraid to fail and fall flat on our faces. If it doesnt work we'll rationalise the split boards and try something different. We dont have corporate beancounters to answer to so a wrong turn isnt going to get someone fired etc, we just try stuff and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

we shouldnt be afraid of change though, and boards has not and probably will not, remain the same place we've always known it to be. Thats either good or bad but its also inevitable.

DeVore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I love you Devore ;)

John

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I love you too Lump.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I love me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

OMFG, some up at the same time as me!"!"!"?!>"!?"> I had to go to work just to open the door, the plan was to go back to bed, but I cant sleep ffs.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Balkanisation of the Boards?
    does this mean we are going to see more sexy tanned eastern european women joining the boards?

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I love YORE MA

Regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I also love pilfering the beer DeVore left in the fridge

YOU'RE NEVER GETTING IT BACK! BWAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'm sure a way could be found of extracting it from your urine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt

I love you too.

But do you love me more than lump loves dev?

ok, this has gone right off topic, so either back on topic or dont post.

Sico, thats my beer you wanker :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I love everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i like b00bies :D

i dunno,there seem to be enough boards,but a new one is just a (reasonable) request away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

In the spirit of getting this back on topic, i agree with the original post.

IMO, theres just too many boards. I long ago gave up trying to keep up with all the boards that interest me and adopted a 'pot-luck' type attidude. If i happen to see a thread that interests me, grand. If not, theres nothing i can do about it.

tech,sports, music seem to suffer the most. Theres just too many forums:/

why not subscribe to your favourite boards and use the "subcribed forums" page on the front?

We're working on ways to expand boards while keeping it so that people arent overloaded with info.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

while there are a lot of boards there areas are pretty well defined so if your looking for info it aint to hard to figure out where to go.

Most people dont check all the boards anyway i have a few i can say i have never been in and dont intend to either just no interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i have subscribed to boards for the last few months, only been worthwile since the new front page tho:)

Kraken, im not talking about boards that i have no interest in. Im talking about boards that i DO have interest in, but just never bother going to cos theres too much other stuff (sport is a classic example, since soccer was split off, i never look at it anymore)

I'm confused.

You used to go to Sport too look for soccer... now you have an entire board devoted to soccer and you dont look at sport any more (or at least not as often, I bet you drop in the odd time when you are completely bored!)

This seems like a good thing. Specific boards for topics that would drown out the minor sports which now have a chance to flourish on the generic Sports board. evetually the Sports board will go away or wither because it will have spun off enough specific and semi specific boards which are active.

Look at Extreme sports for example, its fairly busy!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

NoOOOoOooO don't mention cite that Extreme Sports again DeV!!! :)

Seriously though, as Tom says things are so up and down over the summer we're as well to wait two months to see what forums are not doing the business. I've had a preliminary look and there are a number that have not been posted to in two weeks (that's sufficient grounds for removal if you ask me, and I think a remerging of the Sci-Fi boards may be necessary to).

John.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

were sci-if ever merged to begin with werent the most of them under community public! could be wrong here though

also Dusty seems like your spoilt for choice,
    people tend to give out when they dont have enough boards and also when there are to many you cant keep everyone happy you just have to find a balance (i presume)

I agree with Cloud (do we have to do some BotP Super-Admin Transformation now? "Cloud, DeVore ...form Adminzilla.. Goooooo!")

Anyway, summer everything goes quiet and some boards are seasonal and some boards are fashionable and some are used at a slow rate (Science is one) but are used all the same.

*shrug*

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Cloud
    Seriously though, as Tom says things are so up and down over the summer we're as well to wait two months to see what forums are not doing the business. I've had a preliminary look and there are a number that have not been posted to in two weeks (that's sufficient grounds for removal if you ask me, and I think a remerging of the Sci-Fi boards may be necessary to).
    pretty soon the LOTR and starwars boards will become active again.
    especially the the LOTR board. the 2nd part of the trilogy will be out by the end of november and that will keep the board alive for a few months at least. by then people will be getting hyped up fo the 3rd installment of the trilogy.
    the new starwars DVD will be out in november also, people will start using the board again. i dont think there will be enough traffic on the starwars board to merit it staying open until the next movie is out.
    as you said, wait 2 months before making a decision. by then college will be in full swing and there will be more users on the boards.

Advertisement