Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank CD's

• 03-08-2002 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

i am seriously running low on hard drive space so i need to put alot of stuff on CD's. what type of blank CD do i go for. i have a load of mp3's, programs and stuff which i want to keep. what kind of CD do i go for. CD-R, CD-RW.....?

is it possible to buy a blank CD where you can put things onto it at different times?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You can write a few sessions to a CDR but there's an overhead of about 15 megs each time. Plus it can be a whole load of hassle later on.

CDRWs - nice and handy. I use them to archive a lot of software theat I'll be updating as time goes on (all sorted by what they do)

Best bet imho: get organised. If you can write mp3s (for example) in one fell swoop to a CD and label it properly you can't go wrong. Plus you cant lose the data if you keep the disc properly. The amount of hassle that you can have with CDRWs makes them best for use where you really need to add stuff later and have little choice about it other than to waste a series of CDRs as you update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Blank Cd-R's are about 53 cent each blank CR-RW's are more expensive near 1.5 euro.
    ]
    Just get a **** load of CD-R's and you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Regarding CDR's I've about 200 disks full of stuff backed up at this point (I'm not even talking about DIVX movies or any of that **** either) and it's getting to be a pain in the arse at this point when it comes round to getting a file I want. I've even had to number all the disks and make an excel file listing whats on what in order to keep track of it all.

I'm seriously thinking about just getting one of those 100gig+ harddrives and just saving myself the bother - so if you're needing CDRs for backup then go right ahead but if its just a case that your comp has run out of space then perhaps bigger HD would be a better solution.

CDRW's are the best option if you don't have too much stuff to copy and/or don't forsee yourself keeping a lot of it in the long term. CDRs WILL give you multiple writing opportunities but it's usually too much of a pain in the ass to be worthwhile doing it.

Advertisement