Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it

• 03-08-2002 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Is it worth buying computers parts and builing a computer your self or buying the whole comp from Dell ?This saying that I would know what I was doing .I main point being is it cheaper and if yes by how much?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The common answer is:

Probably not much cheaper. Actually probably not cheaper. But probably not that more expensive. Plus you get the joy of putting together your own system, knowing exactly what's on it, not being limited by the choices (and often crappy motherboards) Dell limit you to.

The obvious downside is missing out on the discounted Windows/office software you'll get with your bought system. Plus getting a simple "if it's broken we fix it" warranty from a major builder. If this isn't a problem, go for it.

Having said that, there are probably quite a few people trawling the boards who would be happy to put together the exact system you want/need, based on your exact budget..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Is it worth it? Probably. How much cheaper? 5 :D

I don't speak from experience but I know people who have made their own computers. It's a good idea in terms of upgrades, as you buy standard parts - practically all PC companies today including Dell use propriotory parts in their PCs. Also you only buy what you want and you also get what you want. The big issue is support, which you won't have...but with support the way it is at the moment for a lot of PC makers it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

How much cheaper (or dearer, it is possible!) depends on what you want obviously, and who you're buying from.

I'd say if you know what your doing, and exactly what you want, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

Cheers lads for the quick reply I had not expected a reply till tomorrow.Well I think Ill might build a new comp .I was wondering what mobo and processor do you recommend .I know the case and all the small things sorted .Also the mobo where is a good place to buy it .I was looking at a few sties recommend early on seen a few nice combo deals with ram and mobo not to dear either.Any how what boards you all recommend??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Please take a look through the countless similar threads already on this board, even for the last month like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its east to build your own PC.... the only hard part is when your putting in the cd drives etc. and all the cables get in your way :D:D

Id recommend it. It will give you a lot more flexability with your pc and also allows to to customise it to your needs and not the ones dell set out for ya. Ill build it for ya if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

Well thnaks for that any how but I dont live in Dublin and it would and I want to do it my self for experence.It seems eassy enough.I am going for AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor but I need to get a good mother board for this .I know most of the small parts that I am going to get.In this motherboard I am looking for fast basically with a alot fo opions to upgrade.Thanks for your help any how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ok, I searched for "what athlon motherboard" using the search function at the bottom of the technology thread list.
    And heres what I got:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=39647&sortby=&sortorder=

Please take the time to read through those topics, many of the people there were asking the exact same questions as yourself, and the advice given to them applies to you also. Then post any additional questions here. These are just my suggestions, I am trying to cut down on the amount of repeated threads in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Id recommend the Abit motherboards. If your getting a Geforce4 Graphics card check the stickeys for mobo's that are compatable with em. I know my Abit is (KR7A-133)

Advertisement