Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking to yourself

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

occasionally i might muffle something under my breath if i did something stupid or even if i am nervous to shake off the nerves but its very common. Everyone does it, just watch ppl when they hit their head, arm or foot off something "ahhh i hit my fLlcking head" even though they know it already it just comes out naturally or even if you forgot to lock the front door "ah ****" and ppl just look at you.

i talk a lot in my head especially before i fall asleep sometimes for an hour even more, assessing what i did that day or what i am going to do tomorrow, even plans for the future, normal? who cares.

the weirdest look i ever got from someone was when i was walking down the street and burst in a fit of laughter, i was thinking of a story my friend told me which he had to go poop in a plastic bag in the back a van because he had the runs and their was no vacant toilet or bush nearby. they must of thought i was crazy. which is open for discussion.

i talk in my head a lot but never fullyfledged conversations in different dialects, thats were i would draw the invisible line as it may be the last straw between sanity and insanity. think of the strange look you would give someone sitting ina haonar (alone) chatting away about the mick/roy saga "no, i think roy was right" "be honest pat, ya always gotta side with the manager". you may laugh or assume they iz karazy.

anyway do what ya want and beat ppl with spoons who call ya a karazy loony, as its the only way to prove you are sane.

people pray to god in their heads.

if you feel relaxed and enjoy your own company which i do and no i aint a recluse you will more than likely do it more often than ppl who cant stand a little introspection.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I've got tourets syndrome and as a result, no friends. So aside from screaming random abuse at people on the street, I've only myself an my plants to talk to.

are you serious? if so, wont you start a thread about it?, I would be interested to hear more about this.
    sorry for getting off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

For some reason I commentate on myself.

"Right, right, got to get up now and go over to the kettle, pick the kettle up, woah there's nothing in the bloody thing, off to kitchen to fill it, doobie doopie doo, la la la, where's the bloody lead, over there, fine, grand, got it, dum tee dum..."

Ah I suppose it'll be a handy thing to reassure other people if I ever get turned invisible in a freak accident.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

hehe i sometime comment on myself too... take the piss outta meself n what have you. I'm a freakin loon aren't I :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

yeah i talks to meself a bit , just kinda like a 2nd party reminding the me me , that i have stuff to do , an just kinda plan out stuff properly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh my god when i see this wrote down , i realise i am a nut , help me !

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what really gets on my noodle is people that think to themselves out loud in my presence...

for example....

[searrard] is watchin tellly
    [friend] mumbles "might just hang out the clothes then go for a shower or maybe......yeah"
    [searrard] thinks "i dunno...whatever!"
    [friend] mumbles "hang out clothes, get somthing to eat, whats on telly later....*sighs*"
    [searrard] thinks "are we having a conversation? do you want an answer, some response?"
    [friend] mumbles "sheffs later, maybe forum......"
    [searrard] loses the head and takes the piss out of the friend for 5 minutes

10 minutes later

[friend] mumbles "clothes done, had some food, i'll go for a shower..."
    [searrard] fumbles for pellet gun

end of example

repeat this for every day.....
    as usual my tolerance is kicking in and i'm starting to ignore it

for the record; i'll think in words to myself when around other people, and say it under my breath when i'm alone....

yep thats me ^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The 2 people who said no are either in denial or did not understand the question and picked the wrong answer! Its part of the way the human mind works... no one can say they dont think to themselves and hold conversations in their mind... Probably not out loud but absolutly with their mind... if they dont then there is something wrong with them!!

Its perfectly natural... maybe you dont notice it but its part of decision making... "I wonder will i order take away tonight or make something myself?" who are you talking to when you think that?? Yourself obviously... Thats one example.. everyone does it... its fine and perfectly healthy... however its when you start thinking you are talking to someone else that you have a problem... probably how multiple personalities start! Hell im doing it right now while im typing this.

I often talk out loud to myself, especially in stupid voices and accents (I like to impersonate people you see). I think I only do it when I'm alone though.. not sure if I do it on the bus, walking down the street, in the office etc. (though Gordon might beg to differ on this as he once has the misfortune to share an office space with me)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, you were back facing to me and a small distance apart... but! I do have a recollection of incessant mutterings and twitchery!! You would occasionaly hum "dum tee dummm, tee dee dee deeeeeee" etc. Very funny, I guess either you thought I wasn't there or you just wanted to share, either way it was a humerous pass-time to listen in! hehe

(You should hear the new financial controller Carina, he talks out loud even more than you did, if only he'd let slip the bank account codes in his mumblings :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Now that I know everyone else does it I feel less special.

If you want to feel extra special, book dinner for 2 at any restaurant. Turn up, order two meals and start a debate between yourself and yourself. Just watch the reaction.

The only thing that could possibly beat that for sheer "specialness" would be to hire a dwarf and pay him to wear a cowboy suit with hat/boots and of course make sure he jumps up into the air with his pistols in each hand shouting "whoosh whoosh whoosh, i shot the sheriff".

So its settled we talk to ourselves for cogitation purposes than lack of companionship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I do it all the time, mainly I talk out loud to remind myself of something but then I usually forget anyway or if I am in a bad mood, I curse and swear out loud, I get a few weird looks and plenty of wide berths.

On a postive note, I read somewhere that to avoid being mugged, talk to yourself and act slightly crazy, muggers fear people who act insane as they are an unpredictable target, so I say keep on talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Its a fair cop Gov, I do it too. Mainly when I think I'm alone, I'll talk outloud and discuss with myself what has happened in the day so far or what happened the night before. And the hand twitching part seems to come naturally too, its like my hand forms shapes of things, or if I think about when I was out drinking, my hands sort of makes a grab for something the size of a drinking glass etc. I run previous conversations through my head too, and try to work out what would have happened if I had acted differently or said something different, its like getting a best-possible-scenario or worst-possible-scenario out of a situation.
    I find that if I talk to myself about stuff too, it helps me remember things better.
    I try to curb it when in Public though, but sometimes I sort of drift off into a daydream (like if waiting for a bus or to cross the street) and when I come too, I'm murmuring something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think i have turets syndrome

but i often sing to myself even when i know im in compant, perticularly in the office.

it amuses the rest of the people here anyway.

im not too worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

I talk to my self alot of the time. But mainly when i am worried about somthing or thinking about something ill be doing in the next few hours or the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Yeah mumble to myself on occasion, don't see any problem with it, everyone does it, whether intentionally or otherwise. Anyone that won't admit it probably still believes that talking to one self is the first sign of madness :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    For some reason I commentate on myself.

"Right, right, got to get up now and go over to the kettle, pick the kettle up, woah there's nothing in the bloody thing, off to kitchen to fill it, doobie doopie doo, la la la, where's the bloody lead, over there, fine, grand, got it, dum tee dum..."

Ah I suppose it'll be a handy thing to reassure other people if I ever get turned invisible in a freak accident.

:rolleyes:

Ha Ha, I do that too, only when i'm alone though and doing nothing. I do it when i'm pretty drunk aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i talk to myself, sing to myself etc. etc. i find that it keeps me sane on those long walks home. i get some strange looks at times but hey, who cares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I do talk things in my head and in class sometimes i find myself inside my mind, i think its officially called day dreaming these days but i never talk outloud, why would you? its so much less effort inside you head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Whenever i'm worried buot a conversation i'm gonna end up having with somebody over somethin, i alwways end up kinda going over it in nmy head, or sometimes out loud...filling in both bits of the conversation. My parents were quite worried bout me at one stage :)

I do the same if a conversation went badly, or if something went wrong, and have that converastion in my head, to figure out what went wrong :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Unregistered
    [searrard] is watchin tellly
    [friend] mumbles "might just hang out the clothes then go for a shower or maybe......yeah"
    [searrard] thinks "i dunno...whatever!"
    [friend] mumbles "hang out clothes, get somthing to eat, whats on telly later....*sighs*"
    [searrard] thinks "are we having a conversation? do you want an answer, some response?"
    [friend] mumbles "sheffs later, maybe forum......"
    [searrard] loses the head and takes the piss out of the friend for 5 minutes

10 minutes later

[friend] mumbles "clothes done, had some food, i'll go for a shower..."
    [searrard] fumbles for pellet gun

Wow that sounds familar as hell,

:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have to admit I do it to, I'm INSANE as hell!
    Mainly when I'm walking or mind is ocupied with something and I think it over and over and anaylz it to hell, its loads of fun sometimes.

Sometimes I forget myself and talk aloud, but that happens rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Some times I think out loud, especially if there is someone around who has some interest in my dilemma/problem.

I don't thnk I've ever had a full blown argument with myself.

Originally posted by Gordon
    I was walking to work the other day, as I usually walk to work every other usual working day. It's a nice walk, up a quiet canal. Anyway, I was thinking to myself and talking to myself and looking at the other people walking their usual walk down the canal to their usual work, wondering about these people...

I love talking to myself, I make up different accents and types of voices. Sometimes I even talk out loud and laugh incessantly, if people heard me they would think me mad. (Well my workmates do, so maybe I am - but my psychology teacher always told me "The only people that are truly 'sane' are people that have recovered from a mental problem and obtained a clean bill of health, you have to have been mad to be sane"). But still, maybe I should buy a dummy mobile phone headset so that people think I'm on the phone!

So basically I'm wondering... do you talk to yourself or am I just completely hatstand?!

I have full conversations with myself. Quite fun.

Advertisement