Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Net

Options
  • 03-08-2002 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Allright. I had this working a while ago and for some reason it doesnt work anymore :rolleyes: (ive tried countless times to fix it)

I have 2 PCs. 1 Net Connection. Both PCs are on a 100mb/s network using a Cross-Over cable. PC1 has a connection to the net and what i want to do is to have the other PC (PC2) to be able to connect to the net through PC1 (Follow me so far ;) )

Both computers are running Windows2000 (One with connection is Server. Other Professional). I have the Sharing setuo on the Dial-Up connection stuff. I have also setup my firewall to allow the ip address of PC2 to have total access through it. It still doesnt work. Ive tried disableing the firewall and still it doesnt work.... can anyone tell me why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I assume you have the second pc's gateway address set to the ip of the pc with the net connection?

If you can't get the sharing stuff working, try installing Nat32 rather than using the windows connection sharing stuff, I could never get that working. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I could never get that working

hehe, amatuer :p

before i start, get rid of your firewall for the time being, and try this:

1) Go into your network and dial up connections, right click on the dial up connection. Disable internet connection sharing.

Now close the window, and reopen it by going into 'Start, network and dial up connections'. Right click on the dial up conection, and sharing... enable sharing. Click yes to the pop up box.

2) Now, go into your second machine and go into network and dial up conections. Right click on Local area network and setup to obtain an IP automatically.

3) on the second machine, go into a Command Prompt, and type 'ipconfig/release'. Give it a couple of seconds and then type: 'ipconfig/renew'. Give it a couple of seconds and type 'ping 192.168.0.1'

if you get a reply, then your network setup is fine.

4) go into a Command Prompt on your second machine and type, 'ipconfig /flushdns'

5) now connect to the internet with your server, and then go into the command prompt on the second machine and type 'ping 194.125.133.10'

if you get a reply, your sharing correctly.

6) type in the second machine's command prompt 'ping www.google.com'

if you get a reply your flying. now setup IE to connect to the internet over lan.

I dunno what kind of firewall your working with, so I wont bother even trying to advise you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by ando
    hehe, amatuer :p

Heh, quiet you, have never needed to get it working either :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The firewall is: Noton Internet Security 2001 (Norton Firewall 2001)

Ill give it a go later and ill keep you posted on how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by phaxx
    Heh, quiet you

lol ;)

just remember to disable all nortan firewall security first winters :)
    actually, better if you disable it from startup iswell and then restart your machine before you start configuring Ics :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Allright....ive just done it (finally) and it worked ... thanks :D

I am now running off mi 2nd PC :D:D

Advertisement