Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock! Horror

Options
  • 03-08-2002 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Oh, my God... I have moved house to my beloved Wexford, and I am out in the country. It's lovely... and I am connected and speaking to you now at a speed of
    16,800bps

Yes, you are reading it right. I am as close to my phone outlet as possible, and connecting consistently at 16.8K.

WAN has suddenly become CRITICALLY interesting!

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions. I doubt that ISDN is available out here, but I will check.

Has anyone ever noticed that an anagram for Eircom is

O Crime!

No wonder they changed their name from T.E.

I am in shock.... utter shock.... 16.8K.......
    help.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Try a different ISP.

I connect a lot faster with IOL than with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Ring Eircom and get the line checked, there's probably something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i was the same for years, nothing higher than 16800bps then one day nothing. Rang them, found out we were on a split line, demanded to be put on a single line, speed went up to 28k.

Then we got sky, sky required access to phone line for reasons still beyond my understanding, internet gone again, yanked out sky's line, net connect went up to 33k.

Moral of the storey,,,, I don't know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Line could also be damaged. I had a dodgy connection. They came out and stuck a new line in. (cant remember the cost).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yep try a different ISP if possible. I used to use IOL and was connecting usually at around 28k but now with Indigo I'd rarely get a connection less than 40k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Oceanfree.net?

Im In Dublin and get 48000bps.

I dont know what it would be like in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by azezil
    found out we were on a split line, demanded to be put on a single line,

You can do that? Do they actually do that for people if they ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

On the IOFFL forums ppl have tried and failed to get the splitter removed. You can but try tho. maybe it depends on who you talk to and how foreful you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Complain about the quality of the voice line.... (don't mention data) Say that your phone calls are really noisy, and you get cut off a lot, hearing other peoples conversations etc. and stuff like that.

Eircom will react to that sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by phaxx

You can do that? Do they actually do that for people if they ask?
    I think we said we "needed internet access", and couldn't get it on a split line... don't think it was too much trouble to convince them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I'm taking them on board.

I tried various ISP's as advised and found no change at all.. still 16.8. I think the split line is the culprit (well, Eircom=O'Crime are THE culprits...). I shall pursue that!

I've also been told by One Who Knows that there are other folks in the hinterlands in WX who connect at a top speed of 9.6!! So I should be grateful that at least it isn't that bad. (Grateful, but not satisfied, mind you!)

I might try the up-front-and-honest "need internet access" strategy as I work for a kinda big company and will be doing work from home (which i WAS hoping would be feasible!) ... hmmm... perhaps I will email them from work... ;)

Meanwhile, I am investigating WAN in more depth! Maybe I can wrestle myself from the greedy grasp of €ircon altogether!

Thanks again for suggestions. Any others will be gratefully received as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭muchos_bongo

Remember that Eircom only guarantee 9.6k over an analogue line.

Advertisement