Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6310 & data cable...

Options
  • 03-08-2002 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I've upgraded to a 6310 some time ago and wanted to use the software
    (PCSuite 4.5) supplied with it. Because I wanted to be able to use it
    with a desktop I got a (serial) data cable. The problem is that when
    installing PC Suite it only gives me an option to connect using Irda.
    I presume there is another way but I have been unable to find it. Can
    anyone be of help here?

Mayhem#.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mayhem,

not so sure if this will work, but it is worth a try. I had fun getting a laptop to talk to the 6310 as a modem, during all this I had the option to connect to the 6310 via serial cable (when I wanted to do it via Irda). If you get it set up as a modem via serial, it may recognise this in the PC suite and allow you to connect.

Assuming you have the suite installed already, go into Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Add new hardware. Go on to add a new device, but make sure not to let the PC detect it - manually select the device from the list (select modems). The manufacturer is of course Nokia, on the right you should see (at least I did!) various connection methods, one of these should be serial cable. Once it is installed, you can query the modem to ensure they are talking. Once this is done, try launching the PC suite and see if it can see the phone.

HTH,

TD.

Advertisement