Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squiers

Options
  • 03-08-2002 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I've been planing to buy a new electric guitar soon because I've outgrown the one I have now and need a proper guitar. A pro said for a guy like me with many influences I'd need a squier. He said it's great for me and I'd be a fool not buying one.

I don't know what a Squier is like or even what it looks like! Can you guys fill me in? Is it worth my while? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Squiers aren't worth the materials there made with, some kind off reconstituted cardboards methinks:). Dont bother with a squier, he must have been taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Squires are the cheap version of fenders,
    So it looks like a stratocaster,
    and probably is in sunburst colors,
    ask for a Squire Strat if u want one..... if.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I agree with above.
    How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

U would be better off buying a secondhand Epiphone or a mexican fender. I have a mexican telecaster and it really is quite well made for a relatively low price. I did buy mine brand spankin new but just cause its new doesn't mean it'll be properly set up so u need to know what you're lookin at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I know what I want and it a fender strat and I know what the guys gonna say. he will persistantly tell me to get a squier while I played a fender and loved it. I don't know how much I'll spend (my mams buying it lol).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Here's where everyone wails at me for being an eejit, but:

Years ago I bought a wee Yamaha Pacifica. I was mocked. But then the mockers were borrowing it, using it in the studio, refusing to give it back etc.....

Its a lovely guitar, with a really light tone until you muck about with it, then you can wrangle any sound you like out of it.

I'm wary of Fenders. No sir, I just don't like it.

Ibanez!!!!

Yamaha Pacificas are really good guitars for the price. Especially considering you get a nice humbucker in the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Squiers aren't bad. The main differences between them and the more expensive versions is the wood isn't as good quality and they aren't built with as much precision.

}:>

And then theres the neck, the pickups, the tuning heads. Hell the whole guitar. AVOID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I talked to the guy today and he told me he found a better deal in argos. It's a yamaha with amp (not sure what type guitar but amp is only 10 watt so i'll rig that up with my 40). I'm going into town tomorrow to check it out. thanks for the advise guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I got a Squier Telecaster six years ago - it began to fall apart after the second year. Fenders shouldn't do that.

I wouldn't say they're crap guitars but they are pretty cheaply made.

Look for a Japanese one or even better, find a well priced second hand US Fender but make sure it's not one from the mid 70s to mid 80s. Alternatively, if you really like Fenders, save up for a new one, which are really good. I have a US Tele and I have NO problems with it at all.

,\m/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Dont forget to check out the internet.

Some good sites are
    Music123
    Regent Guitars
    Musicians Friend
    or maybe even ebay if you know someone living in the states.

Advertisement