Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penatly Points Finally Arrive! Be Afraid...

Options
  • 03-08-2002 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

On Friday the government announced the introduction of the penalty points system from October. It'll be done on a phased basis with speeding the first to be tackled then bit by bit other
    matters like seatbelts, etc will be added. 2 points on the spot
    4 points if you go to court and loose. 12 points equalls ban,
    not sure if you'll have to resit the test after!

Its only taken about 4 years to get this far still its a start, what are the boy racers and BMW jockeys going to do?!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i drive a blue and white fiat punto

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like most other people I'm guilty of the odd bit of speeding. This'll be curbing my occasional speeding a bit. Hopefully it'll also curb those guys that race around the country all day and night with samples or politicians in the back of the car

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Jeebus, in the last six months I would have racked up 6 points.

And I don't drive a 1.4 Honda Civic with a Kenwood sticker in the window and a fibreglass abortion on the front bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, it is 12 points and you're out, but that's only if you accumulate 12 points in a 3 year period.

Hopefully they'll be reasonably sharpish about introducing points for dangerous/inconsiderate driving (3-4 maybe), breaking lights (I suppose 2 would be fair), no seatbelts, using phones (certainly falls under dangerous driving). I'd add in double parking but no-one seems to give a rat's monkey about that.

Anyone who manages to use a phone, eat, smoke and scream at children, all at the same time, while darting into a lane without looking or indicating should just be given the 12 for the sake of the rest of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

hows about running a red light right outside a garda ststion , with onea the guards standing in the yard there looking at ya..............................yes i deserve a fine , if i get one .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd like to see a multiplier effect in relation to what you drive.

Bourgeois APC's (aka the Megane Scenic) subject to 1.5 times normal points, oversized Tonka Toys (Pajeros, Landcruisers) at twice the norm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I would like to see the following 'scoring system' implemented

Parents who allow their children to clamber all over the dash while driving
    12 points and a charge of attempted manslaughter

Parents who allow their kids not to wear seatbelts or put infants in the front seat without a childseat
    12 points and a charge of attempted manslaughter

People who drive up other peoples backsides
    6 points and a crack in the head with a lead pipe for annoyance

People who park in areas where there may be no double-yellow lines but requires a high level of retartedness to park there
    4 points

Trucks which give cyclists about 15 microns space between a ditch and a 40 inch tyre
    12 points and attempted manslaughter

Speeding in housing estates
    12 points and being tacked to a wall by children with nailguns

Ok, that was a wee bit humourous (not!) but I really do hope the points system make some people less ignorant as to what they are doing on the roads... and I too am prone to the odd bit of speeding but only on good roads....and why is that? because the Irish nation are not accustomed to roads of a level nature and so tend to make the most of it....IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

As with all the Ministerial announcements on this, I'll believe it when I see it.

But it will suck.

What's worse is the insurance co's will start asking if you've points on your licence, and racking your premiums up as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Borzoi
    What's worse is the insurance co's will start asking if you've points on your licence, and racking your premiums up as a result.
    of course insurance premiums will rise if you have points on your licence.

this will encourage people to drive with some bit of sense and not receive points. if after 3 years you have no points then your premium might be reduced (i hope).

insurance companies will definitly see a good reason to increase insurance costs of young drivers when this scheme is introduced. the first couple of years will prob be the worst. but after the 3 years if costs dont go down then the insurance companies will have some explaining to do.

i think the penalty points sytem is a great idea but i can see it being abused by insurance companies for a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Rabies
    i think the penalty points sytem is a great idea but i can see it being abused by insurance companies for a few years.

That's what I'm thinking too. Luckily, I'm on a bike that has trouble pushing past 50mph, so speeding is rareish for me :). Hopefully though after the period of abuse, insurance co's will rate people fairly as regards points. ie., the premiums that we all pay now will be what people with 6 points pay. People with less points pay less, people with more points pay more. Simple. Oh, but hang on, it's Ireland.

Is there any regs as regards provisional drivers and points? Surely to rack up 6 points in 2 years should disqualify a provisional driver? Just IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by seamus
    Is there any regs as regards provisional drivers and points? Surely to rack up 6 points in 2 years should disqualify a provisional driver? Just IMO :)
    that would be a great idea but i can see insurance compaines not really caring about that. all they will see is your age. under 25 and you need a bank loan to pay them for a years premium.
    Hopefully though after the period of abuse, insurance co's will rate people fairly as regards points. ie., the premiums that we all pay now will be what people with 6 points pay. People with less points pay less, people with more points pay more.
    good point. there needs to be some amendments made to the insurance companies policies about pricing. hopefuly they will adopt those tactics.

as you all ready said
    Simple. Oh, but hang on, it's Ireland.

the sooner i turn 25 the better, insurance might come down to a some what reasonable price. only another 2yrs 5 months to go :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Don't forget, i cannot see it being enforced properly, we dont even have a traffic corps !!
    There is no visible/hidden deterrent for motorists to drive safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by gurramok
    Don't forget, i cannot see it being enforced properly, we dont even have a traffic corps !!

Some government functionary or maybe "top Garda" announced
    same today, one has been in the works for a few years but internal Garda politics has held its creation up. Which is par...:(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

It's good to see it coming in! hopefully it might get a lot of the little boy racers off the road! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

will women get points on their licences for like braking hard in the middle of the road, and THEN indicating to the right, and THEN driving on straight again?

etc etc etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Further delays hit drivers' penalty system

Just saw this on ireland.com , looks like the traffic corps won't be ready until next year and the software to handle the points system isn't near completed....

Looks like the boy-racers have nothing to worry about for another year......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'm tempted to 'Whoot' but will restrain myself.

Similar report in todays Irish Times (Coincidence?)

Even next year sesms opimistic, based on the Guards assessment that new software will cost €11m, and they don't want that taken out of there operations budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Borzoi
    I'm tempted to 'Whoot' but will restrain myself.

Similar report in todays Irish Times (Coincidence?)

Even next year sesms opimistic, based on the Guards assessment that new software will cost €11m, and they don't want that taken out of there operations budget.

€11m?? FS...I'll happily lock myself in and write that software in a year for €11m :D

I reckon the whole problem is organisation. The Government and the Gardai don't co-operate like they should. The Gov introduce new penalties and regulations without even consulting the Gardai, and in turn the Gardai resist all change without a pay increase or some form of compensation :rolleyes:

IMO its the exchequer thats at fault, if they introduce the new points system, they have lost all the loot from on the spot fines, and then payout for a new system (11m), introduce a new traffic corp, have to pay these new recruits and probably have alot of disputed cases ending up in court... think its only the EU are looking for its introduction anyway... the insurance companies claim that they will lower premiums when its introduced, but they'll just think of another excuse anyway... could go on...

Alot of the fatilities which this new system is supposed to curb happen in the early hours, so probably won't have much of an effect of current situation.

I'd rather get a fine than the points on my licence anyway :D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

Latest news - it seems that the penaltypoints will be delayed again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

but after the 3 years if costs dont go down then the insurance companies will have some explaining to do.

Of course the costs won't come down. The insurance companies will just do what they always do and claim that the cost of accidents is forcing them to keep premiums high.

These days its as cheap to rent a large City centre appartment in Dublin as it is to pay insurance between 18 and 25. (25 and rising)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

I know this hasn`t much to do with the thread but why do most of you have problems with as you call them "boy racers".I happen to be one of them anti-social misfits.Do you not think we want some way of dropping insurance prices.We have to pay them as well.Is it cause we spend our money on cars and not in the pubs. You have to remember the chances of catch most genuine modifiers drunk while driving is rare cause the Gardai are always harassing us.For all you haters I hope when you have kids they become petrol heads so you can be converted.:) :D :cool: :)

I know this hasn`t much to do with the thread but why do most of you have problems with as you call them "boy racers".I happen to be one of them anti-social misfits.Do you not think we want some way of dropping insurance prices.

I going to be abit off topic also with this one, i don't think that its the car modders or boy-racers are the problem, IMO it's the judical system thats wrong, the solicitors get a good percentage of the claim (think i heard up to 40%) and the payouts are far in excess of what we see in other EU contries...

we should have standard payouts and not have near lottery win claims that we see payed out for some of the minor accidents..

The points system will hopefully deal with the bad bunch of so called "Boy Racers". There is a group of the boy racers who push up premiums because of accidents but some are decent drivers.

Off THread Again:

Huge Claims & Ambulance Chasers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

Ok, while in theory and on paper the points system seems like a fantastic idea, it is going to make things worse.

1: the gardai NEVER seem to put up speed checks in blackspot areas or near schools ( anywhere where speeding would really kill somebody )

Instead they will operate behind bushes at the end of the motorway or on a 30mph limit dual carraigeway. This is going to rack up fines and points for fairly minor offences.

2: when introduced, it will firstly focus on speeding, yeay...... SEE ABOVE.

Basically one of the smaller causes of road deaths will be tackled first, mainly because there is money to be made, points to be had, and its an easy job for the authorities ( much harder to catch dangerous driving in the act )

3: anyone who thinks insurance will actually go down is a fool. I can imagine being on the phone....INS CO.: have you got any points on your license?? ME: no.... INS CO: ok, your premium stays the same.

There aint a way that they will reduce premiums cuz you have no points.

Basically people will still drive dangeously, still do stupid things, but we will all drive like snails paying more attention to our speedo than watching the road.

I hate the government.

Ok as regards insurance.In the past few years there were a few ideas on how to drop insurance costs.Here they are........
    1.The NCT test!!!!!Test???More like an endurance test for a car and an absolute waste of my time and money.My car passed with unbelievably low emissions.Did my insurance drop cause of my environmental car??I think not!!!!

2.Driver theory test.Two words."MONEY SPINNER".To get my provisional A licence I need to take the test although it`s the same as a car thoery test and I have a full Licence.Did it drop premiums??I think the answer is ........... "NO".

3.One sure way of dropping your insurance is to go to AXA and have a tracker fitted take a defensive driving course and tell them you won`t drive between the hours of 11pm and 6am.Bull I`ll drive when I want to and why is a full Licence good enough proof of your driving compentency.
    I ask is AXA saying our Department for the environment and local government didn`t make a hard enough test??????Surely not. A government agency mess up.That would never happen!!!!!!!!

So just realise Insurance won`t drop until their cartel is broken up

Penalty Points are a step in the right direction. As pointed out above most drivers who pick up points will probably be for doing 10 Mph above the rediculous 30 Mph limit on a dual carriageway doing a few miles per hour more on the open road. 99.9% of drivers who do this (a large proportion of road users) will not be caught and a vastly smaller percentage will in anyway cause any danger by doing it.

In my opinion its all about driving at a sensible speed for the conditions you're in. The real danger is people who drive dangerously in urban areas or on roads where dangers may be present. The Gardaí are only doing their jobs by hitting the speeders on big wide safe roads. Its at a governmental and garda policy level where their efforts should be directed towards areas which cause more problems.

Originally posted by Bo Duke
    One sure way of dropping your insurance is to go to AXA and have a tracker fitted take a defensive driving course and tell them you won`t drive between the hours of 11pm and 6am.Bull I`ll drive when I want to

Insurance would be invalid if you agreed not to drive durnig those hours and did. If I knew about it someone would be hearing about it (and normally I wouldn't be a snitch - but the idea of someone in a car being in an accident and leaving someone financially screwed as a result of the other party with no insurance would be enough to get me on the phone fast)

• Advertisement

I wouldn`t agree with anyone driving with out insurance.I also disagree with the insurance companies telling us we`ll insure you if you won`t drive at night.

Advertisement