Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Computers through Firewire

Options
  • 03-08-2002 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to network two computers thru firewire cards (ieee 1394)? it doesnt seem to work but i know it does but i cant get it to. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Here's how to do it with Audigy cards. If your firewire cards don't show up as network devices, I suggest you look for updated drivers that support networking.

SB1394 Networking:

To network with SB1394, verify that you have a "1394 Connection" in the "Network Connections" (from the Control Panel) screen. If you do not, run the "Add new Hardware Wizard" from the Control Panel and select the "1394 Net Adapter" if prompted. Do this on both PCs.

To successfully network the two PCs, you will need to ensure that they are both logging onto the same Workgroup. To set the Workgroup name: Open "System" from the Control Panel, go to the "Computer Name" tab, click "Change". Enter the same workgroup name on both PCs.

To access the other computer through the Network, you will have to Share some resources (such as your harddisk). Do this by right-clicking on your harddisk (e.g.: C: ) in the "My Computer" window. Go to the "Sharing" tab and follow the on screen directions. In Windows 2000, click on the "Make new share" button.

The last step is to plug the SB1394 cable into the SB1394 Connections on both PCs. The cable should be a standard IEEE1394 6pin to 6pin cable. Power on the PCs and log in as normal. After about 1 minute you should be able to see both PCs in "My Network Places" (aka Network Neighbourhood). In the My Network Places window click on "View Workgroups computers" to browse the PCs in the workgroup. You can also manually access another networked PC by going to "Start", "Run", type in: \\thepcsname (eg: \\officepc)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

So you're saying a 6pin to 6pin (think mine is 4 pin actually) cable will network two PCs with firewire cards? You don't need any hardware on the cable or anything? Hmm this seems like a good idea. Does it use the full bandwith of Firewire though?

Advertisement