Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saddest Songs of All Time??

• 04-08-2002 12:00am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was asked this question there recently and I have to tell you, I'm still puzzling it out. A complete stranger in a pub (there's always at least one. check it out, it's true) asked me what songs made me go wibbly when I heard them, and why.

So far I have:

Filter: Take my Picture

Ride: Vapour Trail

Power of Dreams: Stay

Mundy: Gin and Tonic Sky

Skylight: Low Tide

Jimmy Cake: This used to be the future ( a very apt title)

Anyone else want to nominate their wibbly tracks? Go on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

toss up between the go betweens "dive for your memory" and the smiths"i know its over" and "well i wonder".runners up contenders include a house "clotheshorse" the communards "for a friend"rem "the wrong child".others to follow on request...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

the cure - pictures of you

always does the weird thing

jeff buckley - last goodbye

a lot of gemma hayes current album has me very emotional... its really good ****

snow patrol - mahogany

snow patrol - an olive grove facing the sea

ash - i'm gonna fall

loads more i'm sure i'll edit soon

mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the cure - pictures of you

The entire disintegration album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 myles

It is, BEYOND ALL DOUBT, the theme from the INCREDIBLE HULK!!!!!!!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 uberhulk

yeah when the hulk, had to leave toen at the end of every episode, and the music starts to kick in and all that you see is an open road, with cars passing by, and not one person stopping to pick him up, it always brought a tear to the eye.... repetition tastic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Aha, if we're getting into that territory, I have some more.

Theme music from 'The littlest Hobo'

And that song at the end of Bosco,

'Tidy up,
    Goodbye goodbye,
    That's all we have time for today,
    See you soon,
    Goodbye goodbye.......'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

silverfish, ur scaring me, i was JUST about to say the theme music from the littleist hobo always made me cry!

reel around the fountain by the smiths, or this night has opened my eyes or that joke isnt funny anymore, or meat is murder (yes im a vegetarian!!!)or well i wonder or last night i dreamt somebody loved me, that's definately the most moving smiths song!....... playground lover by air brings me close to it, even thought the lyrics aren't very sad, but the more melancholy version of it, "theme from the virgin suicides" brings me closer..... dead man's hand or donna quioxte or the deal by dr millar.....queen's live forever or love of my life...sunshine by john denver, embarassingly enough...sleepign pills by suede.....my oh my by david gray is very moving....for no one by the beatles.......the thinner the air by the cocteau twins...i come and stand at every door by this mortal coil...begging bowl by cathal coughlan (the live version, he he)

i dont know what it was called, by the last song mercury rev played at their witness set was very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Two little Boys.

No distance left to run - Blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

oh, i know tis cheesy but take on me by aha kind of makes me emotional...longing for the days when i was ...how old??? 3 or 4 or somehitng? and i didnt know what was going on around me...and i still dont

yeah blur are a movin band, i love end of the century, or this is a low, or the universal, and tender...

I can't actually remember the song from the littlest hobo, I only remember the sight of that little doggy running down the road used to make me cry like a fool.

My eighties nostalgia weepy track has to be 'Through the Barricades' by Spandau Ballet. (It was Spandau Ballet, wasn't it?)

(Cheese rating: High)

(Normal transmission will be resumed as soon as possible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by darthmise

No distance left to run - Blur.

i'll add that one.... i really need to get that on cd...

yes baby it was spandeau.even a stopped clock tells the riht time twice a day.which brings me on nicely to withnail.The last song in "withnail & I" where withnail is standing alone by the park with nothing but an umberella and a bottle of wine by his side.his freiend has just moved on "i wont say goodbye withnail" and the realisation that he will lose a valued friend is hitting him hard.Forget the assholes who hold "withnail drinking games" who miss the point of the movie.This is what the film is about,raw emotions.in the background is that song"withnails theme".classic,worth the entrance fee alone as the man said....

Well said, that man.

Withnail drinking games? What, like lighter fluid? Antifreeze?

Kids today. Tsk tsk tsk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

That old song "He ain't heavy, he's my brother" is pretty downbeat- wasn't it The Hollies? Used to make me sad when I'd hear it as a kid.
    "No Surprises" by Radiohead.
    "Decades" by Joy Division.
    Anything I've heard so far by Tindersticks (which usually seem to be about slow death by alcohol poisoning).

I was having a discussion about melancholy\depressing music with some of my friends the other day... I actually find uplifting a lot of the stuff my friends think is depressing, and a lot of the stuff they consider "happy music" I'd just see as being kinda shallow or dull. I think truly uplifting music has to have a sort of emotional depth and clout to it, it might drag you down a bit initially but then the highs or climaxes have a much more profound effect when they come along.

you should never mix your drinks ,silverfish.

Yeah, that one by the Hollies was pretty sad too.

Along those lines, 'You'll Never Walk Alone' always reduces me to tears as well.

yeah tindersticks have a way with depression, while at the same time being "slightly" uplifting in a depressing kinda way...

Yeah littlest hobo, sunday mornings at their best, it always seemed to rain, when one was a child, and it alsways rained on that show to.... weird maybe the eighties was just some sort of really long monsoon:confused::confused:

"now my heart is full" by mozz is an underated gem that moves the aul heart."depressing" cliche is normally spoken out of the mouths of the square heads who are programned not to think.the most deppressing music is that pile of ****e coming direct from the assholes such as louis walsh.were all super happy,and fab,life goes on forever.what absolute twaddle.

"depressing" cliche is normally spoken out of the mouths of the square heads who are programned not to think.the most deppressing music is that pile of ****e coming direct from the assholes such as louis walsh.were all super happy,and fab,life goes on forever.what absolute twaddle

are you saying life isn't just happy happy joy joy, I thought depression only happened in the movies, your saying it happens in real life tooo!!!!! :cool:

Buzzerbuckley for El Presidente!!!

But we need twaddle. How else would we feel superior? How else would we appreciate good music without twaddle to compare it to? Without twaddle, there would be no standing room in good venues.

I think we should thank Louis Walsh.

Yes. Thank you Mr. Walsh.

The inane twittering of your bands acts like flypaper, keeping fools away from good venues.

• Advertisement

i did go for president but you lot voted for mary mac.for her age she looks good though I admit.wouldnt mind doing a mrs robinson on her!no, the thrash stops more good music from been heard,splits bands up cause lack of expsosure hits them in the pocket.Let the thrash stations be pirates I say.refuse them a liscence with "a half arsed story about a van man busting his arm".the more good music the better ,darling.

Point taken, Mr Buckley Sir.

I sit corrected.

But, yeah, damn right. There's enough tripe on the airwaves, I think all these chart stations should be forced to live the lives of pirate dj's, skulking around, eating from bins, broadcasting from their garages and bathrooms and sheds........

They certainly won't be getting any biscuits offa me, I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Lou Reed - Berlin (the Whole album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 davepyro

For me its:

"Man of the World" - (Peter Green's) Fleetwood Mac

Although that car ad nearly wrecked it for me.

"Shall I tell you about my life....................."

Yeah, thats a whole other thing that gets my goat. (and I do, actually, own a goat. And yes, they are indeed nasty, smelly evil buggers.)

Marketing people thinking 'Oh yeah, and we'll use this song, that'll really get them.'

Ads should just be a five/ten second flash. 'Buy this. '

I thought the spoof Dulux ad where the guy has a gun pointed at the dogs head and says 'Buy our paint, or the dog gets it.' was particularly effective. I re-decorated my whole house that very weekend.

And another song: 'The Other Side' or whatever it is by Josh Ritter. Really tugs at the heartstrings. And I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

"I shall be released" by Bob Dylan is amazing but even more so is Jeff Buckley version over the phone. I think its sadness lies in the hope. A trajic human flaw that never ceases to cut people right down.
    Another one has to be "Still in love with you" by Thin Lizzy. The guitar says it all. Ah that creases my soul every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Mogwai - Burn Girl Prom Queen
    Spiritualized - Broken Heart
    Julee Cruise - Falling
    Eliot J - Fade
    Isaac Hayes - Walk on By
    There's an amazing acoustic version of 4st7lbs by the Manic Street Preachers that always gets to me aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cat

Drops of Jupiter by train really gets me, much as it is a weebit drivelworthy, as does 'his year's love',which i've seen reduce a grown men ( and he was a hefty motha) to tears. Whoever said about bosco, you're totally right, always gets everyone kinda dewy eyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Can't believe I haven't already seen these:

joni mitchell - blue, case of you, last time i saw richard, little green, river.
    smashing pumpkins - hummer, 33, in the arms of sleep, mayonaise
    boards of canada - over the horizon radar (no lyrics, just a simple melody. beautiful)
    jeff buckley - last goodbye, i woke up in a strange place
    air - all i need
    ash - gone the dream, lost in you
    aphex twin - flim, iz-us
    coldplay - we never change (i can't stress this one enough..)
    counting crows - raining in baltimore (same goes for this one)
    RHCP - porcelain

Songs are like tattoos, you know i've been to see before..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by Monkey
    Lou Reed - Berlin (the Whole album)

easily my choice aswell did you ever hear whipping boy or mercury rev cover caroline says two f.u.c.k.i.n.g beautiful...

1. I'd also say no surface all feeling by manics, twas the last demo richey ever heard and one of the last he ever wrote.
    2. i just wasnt meant for these times by the beach boys
    3. wise up by aimee mann
    4. lost in the supermarket by the clash
    CANT BELIEVE I FORGOT THIS ONE
    5 Love will tear us apart by joy division
    and again f.u.c.k. the marketing man / woman for choosing this to use on that heineken ad.
    {i apperciate the irony of my having a degree in marketing before any off my mates say it}

what kind of biscuits are you offering silverfish.if its the custard creams variety youre on your own but chocolate cookies could see a big swing in your popularity.falling by julie baby is a great song but is the instrumental (twin peaks theme ) not a shade better?mmm audrey horne, thers a babe. bizzare love triangle by new order thugs the aul heart strings as does plauteau by the frames (far superior than star star) but one of the greatest sad songs by an irish band has to be "i am afraid " by a house.if you dont own this song,by hte "best of a house" on current release.its a song to "die for".im off to jump off a cliff........

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭stickinikki

shiver-coldplay
    ...thats more a song that makes u happy when ur sad tho, so id have to go with:
    open arms-wilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by darthmise
    Two little Boys.

ahh man.. Rolf played that at glastonbury.. not a dry eye in the place after it.. (and for his cover of He Ain't Heavy in fact).

not in quite the same league but a more personal one..
    Bjork - Come To Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Have to put in a Metallica song! The song "One" it basically saying youre nothing after the war has ended. It's on their Justice album.
    Jeff Buclky ~ last goodbye
    Alice In Chains ~ Down In a Hole don't know why tho its gets me down everytime i play it or listen to it.
    And don't you all go hatey on me with this one~ Kid Rock "Only God Knows Why" :( I played that on my guitar after my best friends funeral

christ,metalish, you are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell with that last one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

ok, thank u for that buzzer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Ok, in from the pub; feeling a bit emotional and sorry for myself. These are the tunes...

That certain sadness - astrid gilberto

I get along without you very well - chet baker

kathy's song - red house painters

you're not the only one I know - the sundays

I know it's over - the smiths

richard - joni mitchell

make it easy on yourself - the walker brothers

borken heart - spiritualized

I'm sorry I have to break off now; I've got somthing in my eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Radiohaed - Fake Plastic Trees
    Eels - Selective Memory
    And a song which always makes me cry but i cant remember what it is..little help?
    " Now there ae no friends to only pass the time no more colouring books no christmas bells to chime....."
    Oh and Hallelujah.... "Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah"....*sniff*:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

WEll I reckon I have a pretty good collection of totally depressing music, but here are some of the real cherries that made up most my playlist which was about all I listened to for over a year after I broke up with my last girlfriend :

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras

Red Delicious - Sort of a Prayer

Depeche Mode - One Caress

Jeff Buckley - Lilac Wine, Last Goodbye

Heather Nova - Like Lovers Do

RHCP - Tearjerker

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Vertical Horizon Best I ever Had, Everything You Want

Longpigs - On And On

Third Eye Blind - Almost all their bleedin songs, but especially Losing a Whole Year and Deep Inside of You

Damien Rice - The Blowers Daughter

Leonard Cohen.

Dunno which is sadder the tunes or the fact I been listening to them for so long.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Originally posted by lamda

And a song which always makes me cry but i cant remember what it is..little help?
    " Now there ae no friends to only pass the time no more colouring books no christmas bells to chime....."
    Oh and Hallelujah.... "Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah"....*sniff*:(

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this already..."Hallelujah" performed by Jeff Buckley (originally written by Leonard Cohen)...one of the best vocal performances I have ever heard...how does he hold that note for so long?

Ben folds five - "Brick" (really sad song about abortion)

U2 - "With or without you"

Elvis Costello - "I want you"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

two little boys for sure...the frames had me crying listening to that...twice...

errr...songs dont really make me sad for the songs...well not many anyway...but songs that remind me of things that happened...and of people....thats why two little boys makes me cry...

hollow by pantera, and cemetary gates by pantera, errr cant really think...

patience by GNR...

hmmmm....beautifully depressed by down...

ryan adams - nobody girl...

i shall return with more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Willie Nelson - You Were Always On My Mind.

Originally posted by Kurdt
    errr...songs dont really make me sad for the songs...well not many anyway...but songs that remind me of things that happened...and of people....thats why two little boys makes me cry...

I hear ye brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Someone mentioned hallelujah be jeff buckley and I know its over by the smiths but the melody of the two on mystery white boy is extremly sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dob77

Redneck Manifesto - Thirty six strings (but sort of affirming at the same time)

Grandaddy - The one about sleeping under the weeping willow, can't remember name

Alice in Chains - Rotten Apple, Nutshell

Pearl Jam - Nothing man

Mum - Last song on "Finally we are no one"

Dirty Three - Most of "what you love, you are" album (although like redneck manifesto sort of re-affirming too)

Three Fish - Shiva and the astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

don't scoff now,
    but you know that song 'i can't live if living is without you'
    well the guy that wrote that song was in a band called 'badfinger' signed to the beatles apple label. anyway, badfinger were a quality band. their songs were macca-esque. but this proved to be a sticking point and they never got the critical aclaim they deserved. the main songwriter committed suicide as a result. one of the other blokes in the band couldn't deal with this and killed himself shortly after, he couldn't take life without his friend.
    sad but true

"All I Need Is The Air That I Breath" - The Hollies

"Creep" - Radiohead

"History" - The Verve

"See My Friends" - The Kinks

"Cavatina" - John Williams (the song out of The Deer Hunter)

"Hallelujiah" - Jeff Buckley's version

"She's Leaving Home" - The Beatles

"Too Young To Get Married" - The Hollies

"Annie's Song" - John Denver

"Eve Of Destruction" - Barry Maguire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lunar superstar

GUNS N ROSES - NOVEMBER RAIN

BLUR - NO DISTANCE LEFT TO RUN

PRINCE - PURPLE RAIN

mMMMMM CANT THINK OF ANY MORE!

Oh and another thing:

Smashing Pumpkins:

We only come out at night

Farewell and goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

Mercury Revs The Dark is Rising gets me everytime...
    I'm not ashamed to admit that I have shed a tear listening to that song!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Justin Hayward "Forever Autumn" from "War of the Worlds".

I'd forgotten about this one until I picked it up on 7" the other day. it was my favourite song when I was 4. I was a melancholy child.

• Advertisement
Advertisement