Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which song?

Options
  • 04-08-2002 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Which of these songs was most important in the history of music?

Which song was more important 24 votes

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
    0% 0 votes
    Led Zepplin - Stairway To Heaven
    29% 7 votes
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    20% 5 votes
    Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
    8% 2 votes
    Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
    4% 1 vote
    Beatles - Hey Jude
    0% 0 votes
    The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray
    4% 1 vote
    Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK
    4% 1 vote
    Bob Dylon - Knockin On Heaven's Door
    4% 1 vote
    U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name
    12% 3 votes
    The Ballad of Atari Jaguar
    12% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

you spelt dylan wrong in the poll.:rolleyes:
    sHep :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

thank you for publically embarrassing me dear. <sigh, she does this every time we go out! mutter mutter>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Okay, not to butt in but shouldn't Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit be in there? I wouldn't vote for it but people seem to consider it important.

Um... twas a good song, but not really Important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by shep the malevolent pixie
    you spelt dylan wrong in the poll.:rolleyes:
    sHep :cool:

Not to mention that the Poll should be called 'most important' not 'more important' since there is more than 2 options.

And how exactly could anything by Black Sabbath be catagorised as important? Anarchy in the UK for example sent shockwaves thru Britain at the time of it's release but what exactly would the average man on the street know about Sabbath other than that their lead singer once accidentally bit the head off a bat? (presuming they even knew it was an accident.)

• Advertisement

SILENCE!

and black sabbath were the founders of death metal <albeit in a much more light form> and hence have had a massive influence on modern music.

Originally posted by lordsippa
    SILENCE!

and black sabbath were the founders of death metal <albeit in a much more light form> and hence have had a massive influence on modern music.

And like I said, how exactly is that important to anyone other than those who are into death metal? Besides, how much of 'modern music' is derived from death metal anyway?

Dig up stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Its a tought choice between Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody as far as the songs themselves go, but Bohemian Rhapsody kick-started the idea of music videos, so that's what I voted for.

}:>

Pigman... die. Now. Of cancer... or something. In fact I don't really care how. Just do. Chop chop!

<ahem> Death metal is quite large and has been since the beginning of the 90's. The fact that Black Sabbath influenced such a massive movement (actually... they influenced most metal, but so did Zepplin so I didn't want to mention that initially). Also the fact that it brought Ozzy Osbourne into the public light <and let's face it... he's one of the 10 most famous people in the world probably> means that... hang on... YES! They did play a massive part in music history. Also they helped desensitise the gurgling masses to nasty music. So yah.

Anyway... thankfully since Pigman <fitting name> is dead I don't need to carry on to list people in the industry who worship sabbath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbabazi

Shouldn't Chris Chan be in for his classic "My Lovely Black Trousers?"

According to Sesh 1 CTYIzens that was the highest-selling album in the history of music, and the title track appears on Sesh 2's CD-ROM.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Pigman... die. Now. Of cancer... or something. In fact I don't really care how. Just do. Chop chop!

Charming! And you suck your mothers tits with that dirty mouth of yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Hat Girl

ah now......boys, boys, why don't you focus your anger at each other towards cats?
    eveyone should hate cats.
    and your arguing for the sake of arguing anyway, coz everyone is entitled to their personal taste in whatever the hell the topic is!
    me thought attending ctyi would make you realise peoples individuality, but apparently you haven't. <sighs>
    just think of all the cats in the world you could be mean to instead of each other.
    there.
    god i hate cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Yeah, leaving out "My Lovely Black Trousers" isn't fair. But life isn't fair. And, more importantly, Chris isn't fair ("sit in the bin, Mossy"), so he won't really mind.

In the end, I balanced the evidence and went for Bohemian Rhapsody. It also began Queen's megastardomitude and influenced singers for decades to come.

Advertisement