Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who the hell is alucard???

Options
  • 04-08-2002 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

i was just over at gamefaqs.com, they've put up a poll for the greatest videogame characters ever or something.
    in the current round it's the man himself: Duke Nukem versus some bent looking guy called alucard.
    just out of curiosity i voted for duke, only to find that he's getting his ass kicked by this alucard guy.
    could someone tell me what game/s he's from? (not even sure if it's a man)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Em, I've no idea ... but I did spot that it's Dracula spelt backwards if that's any clue to you?

This site mentions him in a game called Castlevania tho
    http://www.afn.org/~afn17933/castlevania/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aha, well spotted.
    seems to be from one of the castlevania games, the majority of people that voted must be console gamers.
    /edit
    jesus, i should really start reading replys properly:confused:
    the poll should get interesting soon:
    samus vs ryu, serious sam vs mega man, scorpion vs max payne & knuckles vs snake
    my money's on samus to win the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Alucard is the main character in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night; he's half-human, half-vampire, being the son of the evil Count himself and a human villager.

He'd take Duke Nukem in a fight, too. His suave charm, ability to bounce around, change forms and handyness with a sword would take apart Duke's second-hand catchphrases any day ;)

man i'm behind the times, i thought the main characters in the castlevania games were always members of the belmont family.
    is symphony of the night on gba?

He'd take Duke Nukem in a fight, too. His suave charm, ability to bounce around, change forms and handyness with a sword would take apart Duke's second-hand catchphrases any day
    i'm assuming your taking the pish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

also is a bad ass with a whip.

Damn good games ...

Kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

i thought the main characters in the castlevania games were always members of the belmont family

Alucard is the first non-Belmont to fill the boots; Symphony of the Night kinda turns the tables, because
    actually the bad guy is a Belmont who has been controlled by the dark side...
    is symphony of the night on gba?

Nope, Playstation. By far the best looking of the Castlevania games, it introduced all the RPG elements that you find in Circle of the Moon and so on. The music was superb too.
    i'm assuming your taking the pish

Fraid not. My money would be on Alucard. And he's a better character than Duke any day of the week and twice on Sundays...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

lol, doubt this is any help whatsoever, but Alucard is the lead character in the anime Hellsing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Are they planning any more castlevania games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Konami want to make one for all versions but nintendo reckon they have an exclusive deal .
    there is one planned for GC though.

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ah, I miss that game so much!

There's more proof if need that Shinji is in fact coming closer to my way of thinking by the passing day. The music was some of the best in any game I've ever seen, I must agree. And the RPG ellements worked brilliantly. And quite a decent plot, for a platformer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Hmm, all the castlevanias I've played and I never even noticed his name is Dracula backwards..lol!

Was Dracula originally Alucard backwards? cause Alucard sounds like a real name..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Kairo
    Was Dracula originally Alucard backwards? cause Alucard sounds like a real name..:confused:
    Dracula is a legend from many centuries ago :)
    Alucard = game carecter within this decade....
    I think drac is the origional :)

i think the name dracula comes from a count called dracul or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

the sequel to cicle of the moon is out on september and looks very nice. Alucard would take duke apart with his sword before you could say 'come get some'. And duke doesn't have cool multiple images following him. Symphony of the Night was far better on the sega saturn since some of the stuff was left out for the ps version including maria as a playable character and loads of bosses. I say a copy of the Saturn version for sale on buyritegames.com for a ridiculous price (>$200!!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Castlevania SOTN was one of my favourite games on the PS when i had it years ago. it had everything, a haunting soundtrack, tremendous playability and really cool weapons.

I also remember Blood Omen being a really good game too, it was a lot like Castlevania and just as good

It's a shame that no one makes those kind of games anymore. These 3d games that they make nowadays just don't seem to have the character or the playability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

SOTN still rates in as my second favourite game ever, and tbh, I was quite disappointed when I heard that they were taking the games 3d... i thought it would ruin them. Thankfully the 3d one did pretty ****, and they will hopefully return to their 3d roots in the next full-size console version.

And afaik, SOTN wasnt the first to have a non-belmont hero, but Alucard himself was the main man in one of the earlier Castlevanias. SOTN is number 7, but the only one that ive played previous to that is Vapires Kiss (6) on the SNES. My information comes from SOTN itself - when Maria asks Alucard if he knows the Belmonts, a thought bubble appears over her head with a picture of Richter in it, whereas the thought bubble over Alucards head displays a much earlier Belmont incarnation, and he says that hes worked with them before.

A

Advertisement