Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

04, 05, 07 and 09 number changes

Options
  • 04-08-2002 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

04, 05, 07 and 09 number changes
    To keep up with Ireland's growing communication needs, it is necessary that more telephone lines are made available countrywide.

As a result, the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation is adding two extra digits to local numbers in the 04, 05, 07 and 09 areas. Area codes (STDs) in certain areas will also be changing.

Both the existing number and new number will operate in tandem for 12 months, after which the new number will replace the existing number and a recorded message will inform callers of the new number. There will be no charge for the initial call to the old number.

Existing numbers are listed in the current 2003 phonebook; the new numbers will be published in the 2004 phonebooks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

this should be in nets/comms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

OMG, does this mean that i wont be able to use nolimits because it will be on a different number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

When and if it stops working, call esat and get them to change the number, I heard they've changed their tune and are allowing you to do that. (No new accounts though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

ok cool. i didn't think they let you change your account to another number. does the same apply if you move house? can you get the account put onto the new number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Will this also affect for example 0907, or just 09?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

2 years ago when I moved house I rang Eshat to tell them, gave them the new number and was told it was no problem, should be changed over in a day or two. After a few weeks I called back and was told that anew address meant a new account, they could/would not change the details of an existing account. I would have to apply again, cancel my existing d/d, sign a new d/d mandate and wait for connection. They told me they would send out the forms.
    After about two months and a couple of phone calls there were still no forms. I sent them an e-mail explaining why they had just lost a customer and invited them to reply.
    I'm still waiting!
    I gather No Limits was introduced as a loss leader that never led to anything. The story of how IrelandOffline was founded should illustrate clearly enough that they will do anything to get rid of customers rather than keep them. A change of phone number might be all they need to strike you from their list of liabilities.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My brother was able to take his one with him when he moved...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved to Nets/Comms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when is this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Will this also affect for example 0907, or just 09?

Since when is there a 09 area code? :P
    09/07 etc means all numbers that start with 09/07 etc. Which will include 0907/079/078/071 etc etc etc.

C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    when is this happening
    think its happening over the next month or two.
    the new number and the old number will both work for the first year. after that only the new number will work.

this happened in louth about 2yrs ago. people in dundalk had to put 93 before their original number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Details are that these codes are getting 7 digits over the next couple of months.

Now, some area codes are going and merging with others, so here's the beef, and they will be 7 digits too (if not already)

0405 -> 046

0503 -> 059

0507 -> 059

0508 -> 059

0509 -> 090

072 -> 071

073 -> 074

075 -> 074

077 -> 074

078 -> 071

079 -> 071

092 -> 094

0902 -> 090

0903 -> 090

0905 -> 090

0907 -> 094

Now there are loads of charge group number changes, to rbing up the 7 digits, so for instance, like me you live in 046 4xxxx, the new number is 046 924xxxx

Urgh.

Stupid eircon. Just more numbers to fsckin remember. Little 5 digit numbers were nice. BAH!

C.

Edit: Quick search on the eircom site revealed full details on all the changes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Cond0r
    Urgh.

Stupid eircon. Just more numbers to fsckin remember. Little 5 digit numbers were nice. BAH!

C.

Eircom don't decide the numbering chages-thats the job of the odtr
    jd

Originally posted by jd
    Eircom don't decide the numbering chages-thats the job of the odtr

Ah, ok :) Silly goosey Etain so :)

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Ah, ok :) Silly goosey Etain so :)

C.

Why are they silly? There's obviously a reason behind it.

and an obvious one at that.

In the 046 area, they are rapidly running out of 5 digit numbers. It wouldn't last another 5 years. 7 digit number exponentially increase the number of phone numbers made available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Its going to make the local call area's alot larger .............. so when you are down the country calling your neighbour down the road that was in a different code area will now be a local call. In Most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

also what it is going to do is make the ISP change their local area dial in areas alot bigger and make net access slower.

Not necessarily, irishgeo.

The POP's will be staying where they are, only your (or the POP itself) will be changing number.

Its still in the same local call charge group area, nothing has moved.

If an new ISP was to start-up now, it would certainly have fewer POP's, as the local call area would be larger than it was, but like IOL and Eircom drew up their locations for POP's 7 or 8 years ago, based on what the local call charge group area was then. POP locations have not changed much since then.

If anything, you might find that another POP that was not a local call before now might be one for you soon, giving you extra choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere - is 045 changing?

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Why are they silly? There's obviously a reason behind it.

Yeah, but I dont see a need to change the area code. Just add the 2 digits... that makes more room for new numbers instead of collapsing area codes together into one. And btw, the area codes that are being collapsed into one, are already local call charge areas and are not making them bigger. For example, a call from 079 to 071 was local, 079 to 071 was local, 078 to 071 was local.

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

no only 046
    and 0405 will change to 046

Originally posted by BuffyBot

There is no rush there, 045 has 6 digits, but in time, it will be upgraded. And with 0405 biting the dust, 0402 will not be too far behind, but not this year. The number changes cycle every two years or so.
    Yeah, but I dont see a need to change the area code. Just add the 2 digits... that makes more room for new numbers instead of collapsing area codes together into one. And btw, the area codes that are being collapsed into one, are already local call charge areas and are not making them bigger. For example, a call from 079 to 071 was local, 079 to 071 was local, 078 to 071 was local.

Its more consolidation. It was often the case that an area code could identify a county, 046 for Meath, 047 for Monaghan etc. Now you have 074 for the whole of Donegal. Enfield now has the same area code as Navan, which means its more transparent to folk that Enfield to Navan is a local call (pretty sure it is one currently) In the case of dropping 0405 and 0903 and merging them with new or nearby area codes, its just making the length of the number is the same for all.

Also, you wouldnt believe how many people out there say that if a number is not in their local area code, its not a local call. Its understandable thinking this way, but its inocrrect. A local call can far extend beyond your area code.

Yeah thats true I suppose, like was shown here:
    Originally posted by the Guru
    Its going to make the local call area's alot larger .............. so when you are down the country calling your neighbour down the road that was in a different code area will now be a local call. In Most cases.
    It does make it easier for people to recognise what's local and what's not.

C.

Advertisement