Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best cartoons ever

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Loved Ulysses, but the best ever has to be Captain Caveman (unga bunga) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Battleship Yamato- This truly was the greatest cartoon of all time, I don't think it was on telly in Ireland (i saw it when I lived abroad) it was phenomenal though. Space battles and suchlike.
    That was a great series! I used to watch it when I lived in Spain... I've been having flashbacks of that series and I couldnt remember WTF it was... Thanks for mentioning it, I'll try to download a few episodes :)

A lot of the series mentioned here were made in japan... I still love watching japanese animation... There are a lot of awesome series... If anyone is interested in it too, you can take a look at http://www.mangatoanime.com .
    The "Eirtaku" board there is specifically for irish people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Lets not forget the classic Road Runner. Easily the best ever.
    Other great cartoons were Batman: The Animated Series and Battle Tech rocked jsut like Mechwarrior 2.

Can someone answer a question i have about a cartoon from mid-90's on TCC. It had this guy and his younger sister who lived with loads of robots and it had action sequences that are 3D when looked throught 3D specs. They were also against some Evil Corparation, I believe they were called McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

All the classics - Transformers (love the movie!), mask, earthworm jim (anyone got any divx's?), he-man, and trapdoor (kinda cartoony). More recently family guy is easily the best :]
    Although evil monkey mojo jojo is a pretty cool baddy.... :]

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Southpark
    Simpsons
    Rugrats
    Hey Arnold
    Doug
    Batman
    Mutley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not the best cartoon, in fact pretty crappy, but since we are going through the extensive list of cartoons, it's only right to mention Captain Planet.

Who remembers the song
    "Captain Planet, he's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero" or something like that.

oh and darthmise, I still have some Manta Force toys, and all my He-Man toys and GI Joe's and Star Wars.
    Who else here can say they have a Millenium Falcon parked in their attic? :D

One other cartoon, Eek! The Cat. Anybody remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Around the World with Willy Fogg

That was the coolest thing on TV for me at that time.

Anyone else remember a cartoon about the inside of the body? People travelling to different organs etc - or am I just having a crazy dream? ;)

...oooh oooh don't forget Captain Planet cos "he's our hero, gonna bring pollution down to zero". :::::flees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Anyone else remember a cartoon about the inside of the body? People travelling to different organs etc - or am I just having a crazy dream?

Yeah that was pretty class, and the don't forget the teenage mutant ninja turtles, they rocked too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Anyone else remember a cartoon about the inside of the body? People travelling to different organs etc - or am I just having a crazy dream? ;)

It was called "Once upon a time... life". it had the same characters as "Once Upon a time... Space" which explains some of the oddities in the series. Great show

Nice page about cartoons on the BBC site
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A201808

After reading that, I'll add:
    Count Duckula (featuring the seemingly omnipresent David Jason)
    Danger Mouse (ditto)
    and Battle of the Planets seeing as no-one else has.

And I'm adding in Top Cat and Quick Draw McGraw (including "El Kabong") purely becuse I want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Lord of Terror

That was a great series! I used to watch it when I lived in Spain... I've been having flashbacks of that series and I couldnt remember WTF it was... Thanks for mentioning it, I'll try to download a few episodes :)

If you find mpegage let me know where, I had a most unsuccessful search before. The full series and the movie is on Amazon but was fairly heftily priced last time I looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Originally posted by DapperGent
    If you find mpegage let me know where, I had a most unsuccessful search before. The full series and the movie is on Amazon but was fairly heftily priced last time I looked.
    I've found 3 or 4 episodes on KaZaA, they are about 50 megs each, and in .mov format...
    I'm downloading them at the moment, but I'm only on a 56k so I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Batman
    Daria
    Gargoyles
    Freakazoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Mr. Benn
    Bod

...ah, them were simple days

Farthing Wood Friends :D
    Arthur (Arth Ó Ruairc as Gaeilge)
    Beavis and Butthead too I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

hey remember tasmanian devil , that was and still is a graet cartoon to watch. if only it was on tv more now a days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Danger Mouse
    Hair Bear Bunch
    Roger Ramjet
    Battle of the Planets

and strange pangs for Inch High Private Eye, but I can't remember if I loved it or hated it.

Of the new stuff
    Power Puff Girls(Okay I'm strange)
    Johnny Bravo

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    Mr. Benn
    Bod

...ah, them were simple days

Another pensioner on the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ulysses 31
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    Voltron
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    Terrahawks
    Mysterious Cities Of Gold
    M.A.S.K.
    Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
    Count Duckula

These were among my faves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Just remembered Batfink ... "My wings are like a shield of steel".

They sure don't make them like they used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

6. beavis and butthead - there were way too many interruptions from the music videos, which demotes it to 6

5. 3 friends and jerry - dont ask me why but i found it funny

4. futurama

3. family guy

2. south park

1. simpsons

Anyone remember that mtv cartoon The Head, the alien thing lived in the guys marge simpson hair style head.
    That was fukd up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Almost any of the Loony Tunes are great but sadly judging by this thread most either dont know of them or just hav'nt seen them.

Mr Magoo is another not to mention Top Cat or Boss Cat if you're Amercian. Don't forget classic Tom and Jerry (WW2 era).

Roadrunner. beep! beep! :D

Count Duckula, brilliant David Jason characterisation.

Mike.

Animaniacs - loved it :)

Originally posted by mike65
    Almost any of the Loony Tunes are great but sadly judging by this thread most either dont know of them or just hav'nt seen them.

I would say a lot of people know them, just failed to mention them as they are not as much cartoons in the sense that they had series and a continuing plotline.
    But who doesnt remember Elmer Fudge, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and so on....
    Th th th thats all folks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

hmm.
    beavis and butthead,
    count duckula,
    old simpsons
    musketeers
    turtles
    and
    DIPLODO!! ha, i used to sing the theme tune to it all day every day in school...

makaveli: Your quote: "technique is ill son, watch hhow i spill one.." , coupled with voltron.. Im seein a connection!

slutwhore/powered toast man: have you any divxs/vcds of ren and stimpy?? I see MTV are now airing it mondays to wednesdays... i never got to see it much when i was younger. Its my current favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd /love/ if they repeated The Tick and Earthworm Jim. And to a lesser extent Transformers, Thundercats, He-man etc. Family Guy is also the win.

- nakey, aka The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The monkey in me resents being called a whore but the slut in me loves it.

I assume you mean... me.
    Well I'd love to have dvd's of Ren and Stimpy but unfortunantly I don't. Shops over here gratuitously refuse to stock it whenever I ask for it and I'm far too suspicious to buy on line. Maybe one day... maybe monday....

If MTV are airing it, this raises two questions:
    Why aren't you taping it, EEEEDIIOT!! *SLAP*
    and
    Why wasn't I told?
    Who schedules these meetings?

The head was mad but just not as interesting as The Maxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

ahh why did no-one mention snagglepuss that was the best cartoon ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Qualm

Yeah, it would rock if they aired Earthworm Jim (Hes' sucha groovy guy, Earthworm jim, he rockets through the sky!) and The Tick.
    I wasted, I mean, used so much of my childhood watching TCC, in my duvet on the couch. There are just so many classics lost now forever the TV vaults of time, *sniff*

It was such a pleasant surprise to find that we actually have the Mysterious Cities of Gold theme tune on the pc in work here!! Idly listening away when on comes
    "Aah, ah, aah, ah, ah, cities of goold"
    Lit up my day :) If i can, i'll put it up here.

80 days around the world, to find a pot of gold, the cities with the never ending sky.... lalalaaaa (or something)

• Advertisement

I'd /love/ if they repeated The Tick and Earthworm Jim. And to a lesser extent Transformers

Think they show the tick and transformers on fox kids or cartoon network, seen it on one of those channels when i was flicking through my vision box last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

The thundercats, they were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Transformers were 'the shít'

Also this cartoon about these things that transformed into rocks, kinda like transformers. That was cool.

Thundercats was brillant

He-Man another classic

Ahh the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

Button Moon and Finger mouse then them ragdolls that was ****. the Jetsons.but what can I say but

FRAGGLE ROCK

Trap Door which was those plastercene thingies
    It was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

They hardly count as cartoons though do they?

well they are really as it was always called cartoon time???
    But if you want to be specific they none of them are really cartoons as most are computer animated:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

slut monkey:

I am taping it but unfortunately all the episodes theyre currently showing are directed by bob camp, and are therefore not funny at all. The only 1s to watch are those dircted by John Kricfalusi (YOU EEEDIOT!!!)
    I have also emailed MTV twice to keep airing it.

Everyone here should too If they like ren and stimpy

Originally posted by Dave

Also this cartoon about these things that transformed into rocks, kinda like transformers. That was cool.

I remember that.
    Anybody remember California Raisens? It used to be on TCC, they were a rock band. I remember the three girl raisens did all the singing.
    "Stop in the name of love, before you break my heart"
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Here are the best ones

KindaIchi
    M.A.S.K
    Speed-racer
    Spider-man & Friends ( Iceman Firebird)
    Battle O the Planets G-Force!
    Wheeled Warriors

Originally posted by Makaveli

Anybody remember California Raisens? It used to be on TCC, they were a rock band. I remember the three girl raisens did all the singing.
    "Stop in the name of love, before you break my heart"
    :D

ROFL they were class. Used be on Saturday Mornings when I was kid if I remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Great Ape 40 foot Ape
    Top Cat
    Defenders of the Earth
    The old 60s Hulk Animated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Anyone remember a cartoon where this brother and sister were racecar drivers and each of their cars had 'A.I.' (which the F.I.A. didn't seem to ever cop onto) and as such this duo usually ended up winning their races. When they weren't cheating in the races they drove around the country in a 40ft container fighting crime and driving like bloody maniacs. It was drawn in a manga style and was pretty cool from what I remember.

There was a show based on pac-man too which was pretty funny cos when the ghosties got eaten by Pac they had to go back to their 'boss' and beg him for another sheet to wear. Moral of this show was that 'real life's' more complicated than computer games!

Don't know if Spiderman and his amazing friends was mentioned yet? It turned out that around the early 80's old Spidey couldn't cut it anymore so he recruited a couple of new buddies to play with. The first was 'Ice-man' who could do lots of cool stuff with (you guessed it) ICE and this foxy redhead chick called Firestar who could manipulate (you guessed it) men .... em no, I mean FIRE. The moral of this show was that men should ALWAYS make passes at women in glasses.

I forgot James Bond Junior, its probably the best cartoon ever.

Anyone remember that cartoon set in an american ghetto, it inspired south parks fat abbot, just cant recall the name.

Fat Albert.

• Advertisement

Twas Quality, was shown on the fun factory on sky one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Does any one remember that one where there was this kid who had lost his parents and was wondering around with a pack of talking dogs trying to find them? Wasn't very good just can't remember the name of the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Transformers,
    Mask,
    He-Man,
    And a load more I cant be bothered naming right now.

L8r.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Ren and Stimpy - how come this show is so f*(ked up. Whats wrong with those guys. It's like, i cant stop watching that show when it's on cuz i cant believe it#'s so disgusting.

omg pika, i haven't thought about Trap Door in years :)
    Gotta get a copy of that somewhere.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Pigman
    Anyone remember a cartoon where this brother and sister were racecar drivers and each of their cars had 'A.I.' (which the F.I.A. didn't seem to ever cop onto) and as such this duo usually ended up winning their races. When they weren't cheating in the races they drove around the country in a 40ft container fighting crime and driving like bloody maniacs. It was drawn in a manga style and was pretty cool from what I remember.
    Pole Position. It was good enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement