Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I's An Intelligent Yessir

• 05-08-2002 6:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Got your attention? Good!

Just wondering but what is the most intellectual album and song <rock/metal or otherwise> ever?

Personally... I think songs are easier. And of course intelligent religious insights are the best! ;p
    Jethro Tull - Hymn 43; Wind Up
    Manic Street Preachers - Yes; IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYITSWORLDWOULDFALLAPART
    Gong - You Can't Kill Me; <the entire Flying Teapot trilogy ... if you get the metaphors>; Where Have All The Flowers Gone?; Dreamin It; Tried So Hard.
    John Lennon - Imagine
    ... got distracted, lost train of thought... gonna wrap up now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i wouldnt say its the most intellectual but Rage Against The Machine stuff does need a bit of a brain to understand the lyrics and the issues that the songs deal with, especially on "Evil Empire" and "The Battle of L.A.",(the second and third albums), most of the songs are hard to understand what theyre about unless u research or have really good historical knowledge of america, mexico and some other south american countries.(stuff which isnt exactly on the history courses for leaving and junior cert but they should be(!))
    im a big rage fan and still dont know what about 1/4 of the songs r about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally, I wouldn't really consider Rage, and such political styled lyrics 'intellectual' in the same sense as what I usualy call intelectual, but I can definetly understand and appreciate how someone would. There is some pretty complex stuff in their songs, as Nest says.

Although, it's usualy thought of as crap, I like Mayhem's "Grand Decleration Of War" album. It describes a very cold, bleak and hate filled future. Not all that original, but it's how it's done so well that's intruiging. All the music and lyrics really paint a picture and give the conpect a true feel to it.

Opeth's "Still Life" is a great concept album about love and obsession. It's more specific than that, but I'm really not gonna get into it, it's pretty deep, and more of a story.

I generally like the more conceptual lyrics that try and paint an idea of something in tandem with the music, and brings you more of a feeling of what the story is about, rather than simply say it straight.

Have a look at my 'Intelligent Metal' thread for a bit more along the same lines.
    [Edit] - Here's the link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59140

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OK lads tell us a bit about Tool then! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

All of the blind guardians albums have a bit of a story to them and each song has a serperate meaning in them, dunno about 'inteligent' tho, as thats a very blunt term i think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd have to disagree with RATM there because although the cause du jours and themes are usually plucked from relative obscurity, lyrically the points are bludgeoned home with all the subtelty of an airstrike.

I'd have to go with pretty much all of the Manics "Holy Bible".

Tool as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

Lets see:

U2-Achtung Baby

Pink Floyd-Dark side of the Moon

Jimmy Eat World-Self titled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Pugsley
    All of the blind guardians albums have a bit of a story to them and each song has a serperate meaning in them, dunno about 'inteligent' tho, as thats a very blunt term i think.

Well you'd hardly call a band that does an entire concept album on the Silmarillion stupid, now would you? :) But I think as far as that kind of thing goes, Ulver's take on William Blake's 'The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell' has to be one of the most astounding.

Tool on the other hand, always seem to be obscure just for the sake of being obscure.
    Or at least that's what I gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Tool - 46&2
    The Whole Of The Armegeddon Theories By Theory In Practice
    and Dysgenics by Quo Vadis (Google)

Advertisement