Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardrive woes

• 05-08-2002 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

i got a 80gig Barracuda ATA IV from komplett and whatever jumper settings i use i cannot get my computer to detect it. Atm i have a 20gig maxtor (boot drive) and a 4gig western digital and i have no problem with these drives. When trying to get the barracuda to work i tried it on its own as boot drive, then the barracuda as boot drive maxtor as slave,then with maxtor as boot drive and barracuda as slave. But my computer just wont detect it. Any ideas? i tried different ide cables aswell.

Spec:

P3-700@966
    256mb cruical ram
    abit bxraid 133
    gf4 4200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You may require a mobo Bios upgrade(flashing), to enable you to see the drive.

Have you tried the drive in another machine(as in is the drive DOA)

Set the new HDD on IDE3/4(raid) and see does the highpoint controller pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

ok i tried it in ide3/4 again it detected the maxtor but not the barracuda. I also gave fdisk a shot just incase it might pick it up, that didnt work. I just noticed there is one pin missing (ie little hole there but looks like pin fell out or whatever) would that **** up the drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No the little pin space is normal(as long as its in the centre and on the bottom row), try getting an updated bios as your mobo may not allow large drives(greater then 32GB) to be seen without an update.

Try getting the latest bios here

yep i know about that pin but theres another one really missing, can 1 pin mess up whole hardrive?

ok updated the bios and it still doesnt work, i have come to the conclusion it must be b0rked. Off back to komplett for new hdd so. Unless anyone has anymore ideas

• Advertisement
Advertisement