Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE/TV3/TG4 No satellite signal being recieved.

• 05-08-2002 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is everyone having this problem today. (Bank Holiday Monday)
    No satellite signal on any of the Irish channels.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

They're all working fine for me (just checked), and were working earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

That means my FEC is not switching over to the lower frequencies.
    My ITV channels are also not working on my FTV card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its been happening to me too today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

all was fine except for the rediculous blank screen during the GAA coverage

Its been happening to me too today...
    So DamoDMC, what were your symptoms?
    Mine were, I switched over to RTE1 or TV3 and the picture would work for a second, then the picture would freeze and after a few more seconds I would get the message "No satellite signal is being recieved".
    All other channels were ok i think. No wait Bloomberg and Fox News were doing the same thing.
    I noticed that the temperature on the LNB was very hot because the sun was belting down on it. Maybe that's a factor.
    Its ok now however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

mines wasnt workin either. i switched on rte/tv3/tg4 - no signal. changed it to another station then back to rte/tv3 etc. and it worked. but i had to keep doin this every time i wanted to see those channels.

Thank god I'm not the only one getting this problem.
    I thaught that my digibox was goosed.
    It seems the lower frequencies are operating on reduced power from the satellite.
    But the power seems to be back up again. Because their fine now.

No, Carrolls, it was happening a couple of times, but all is well.

Its seems our LNB's might not like temperatures above 20° :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Something that may be due to weather etc.. When changing RADIO stations on Sky digibox(both uk/irish box) it takes longer than normal for the programme information to pop up on screen after switching the channel. The channel name comes up straight away but not the i information.

Anyone get this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Radio Station info is always slow enough to come up, usually about 10 seconds after the search and scan has disappeared ... but much longer if the radio station is in other channels - it is about 10 minutes before info is displayed on these.

I actually thought radio info had speeded up since the software upgrade?

Also, does anyone know: Why can't you see listings for radio channels / Why can't you put radio shows into your personal planner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Genghis
    Radio Station info is always slow enough to come up, usually about 10 seconds after the search and scan has disappeared ...
    it's about a second on mine
    Originally posted by Genghis
    Why can't you put radio shows into your personal planner?
    i would love that. i wonder why it isn't possible now

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    No, Carrolls, it was happening a couple of times, but all is well.

Its seems our LNB's might not like temperatures above 20° :D
    No probs here.
    Sky must have had these things designed for good strong breezes off the Irish sea-keeps them under 20 degrees:D
    mm

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The new Sky software is the cause for radio stations being slower to show details.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lifeboatdoc

I've got a Panasonic box that doesn't see the lower frequency channels directly at all. eg if I want to see Fox News I have to go to Euro News just before it on the UK EPG and then go one channel up and then it works. This sounds similar to your temporary problem. Same thing for ITV. Have you got a Panasonic box ?
    I'm told that this is a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lifeboatdoc

I've got a Panasonic box that doesn't see the lower frequency channels directly at all. eg if I want to see Fox News I have to go to Euro News just before it on the UK EPG and then go one channel up and then it works. This sounds similar to your temporary problem. Same thing for ITV. Have you got a Panasonic box ?

No I have a Pace 2500 with the old 2.8b software.
    And exactly the same thing was happening, but its ok now.

byte

Originally posted by lifeboatdoc

Hmm. Panasonics are known to have issues with a certain LNB - Cambridge LNB if I remember correctly. These are generally stuck on Channel Master dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 trevormcdonald

carrolls,
    Just wondering if you are still having this problem in receiving 'great new channels like RTE1, Network 2, TV3 and TG4, and Fox News, attheraces, film four etc. due to the LNB problem.

My folks new silver grundig, replacing a knackered black grundig whick was over a year and a half old, (surprisingly sky did this for nothing!), anyway this silver grundig cannot see any of these channels and others of similar frequency in the evenings.

Getting 'no satellite signal being received' messages.
    Tried it with my Panasonic DB31, same problem.
    Phoned sky on several occasions, did the usual reboot, reboot and take LNB cable out, and even a software upgrade. Nothing.
    Signal strength is fine.

Now being told that LNB is screwed, and they want €120+ to get Seirra out to replace it.

Just wondering if you still had this problem.

Trev.

P.S. Does anyone have any ideas how much a new LNB would cost? Surely less than sierras bargain.

It only happens in the mornings when I try to tune into GMTV on ITV (FTV card) before I go to work.
    The same thing happens on RTE when I have my Sub card in ( In the morning) No RTE/TV3.
    The signal is about 90% at all times.
    I have a Pace 2500 box and a Grundig LNB. (Probably a fatal combination).
    Maybe it is a combination of factors. ie expansion of the dish when the sun hits it, sun hitting the LNB
    after the relative coolness of the night. Moisture in the mornings?? Maybe.
    Everything is working fine by the time I arrive home at 18:00.

carrolls, same combination of digibox and LNB, loads of problems switching between the Irish channels all weekend.

I was able to select the channels direct, if I came from a higher freq channel like BBC 1 or Sky Sports, but going 101 -> 102 -> 103 -> 104, that was excruciating! I will have to check it in colder conditions...

• Advertisement

At last, proof that I'm not going mad.
    I think Damo we are going to have to get a higher quality LNB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi I noticed the samething yesterday during the afternoon. I knew there was a signal because my TV in the living room was working perfectly on BBC news 24. I have two Grundig boxes. I've had no problems in the living room as I have a UK sub there so do not have the Irish EPG. I thought it was the box playing up and switched it to stand by and RTE came back fine.:confused:

byte

All our installations use Grundig LNB's as these are standard with Triax dishes (haven't seen anything other than Triax dishes in ROI). Though the newer Grundig LNB is smaller than the older bigger one which couldnt even hold itself together! I think the newer one has lower noise figure also. I only experienced the problem twice with a Pace and in both cases, the cable was at fault with cuts letting in water.

Hope this is some sort of help. Worth checking the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I am also having similar problems, mainly on the Irish channels but also on some others. When switching channels I will get the No signal message but switching the box into standby and back on always gets the channel back. This has only started since I got my pace back from the repair shop (tuner replaced) a week ago.

I am not sure what is worse; living with this fault or the hassle of bring it back to the repair shop no doubt to be told that I am imagining the fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I can never get Irish tv/radio at 4:30 until about 6 o clock i think it is.Dont matter-I watch it on analogue all the time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

For the past two weeks If I change from any station to any of the Irish stations (101-104) I get a No Satellite Signal is been recieved. If I leave it on the station for about 5 mins the picture appears. Is anybody else having this problem at the moment?

I have powered off and on the box several times but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Pace Box with EPG Software version 3.0.11*

Yes I am.
    Exactly the same problem with the same pace box :(
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Hmmm, I also have a Pace 2500 box with software 3.0.11*, although I have no card for it. Could somebody recommend an FTA channel on 28.2 I could look at to test if I also have this problem? I obviously can't test on ITV or RTE seeing as they are encoded and I don't have a card.

I do have a 64cm dish with an ALPS LNB, however if the problem is box related then it shouldn't matter what kind of dish/lnb we have.

I did notice when I had my dish and PACE box pointing at 13.0E last week that I could pick up all the RAI channels, but none of the commercial Italian channels which are at: 11919V 27.5 2/3. Could this be because of the aforementioned problem with the Pace boxes and software version 3.0.11*?

Hopefully it's a software glitch, so it will hopefully be fixed in the next software upgrade.

You could try 2FM/Lyric because they go also when the Irish TV channels freeze.
    Having said that, for the past month it hasnt happened once on ITV on my FTV cards or RTE/TV3 on my sub. (My box is a Pace 2500)
    I havent replaced or repaired anything.
    You know its on the treshold of happening when there is a longer delay when you switch to ITV. But the delay is now normal (ie the same as switching to BBC).
    Maybe there was so many Pace 2500 boxes being sent back for repair that they decided to optimize the lower frequencies to stop it happening.

• Advertisement

That was Seven months ago.
    Seven months later after absolutely no problems, ITV on my FTV cards is coming up with "No Satellite signal being recieved".
    I had a funny feeling it was going to happen because this morning it was slow switching to ITV.
    Ill go up and adjust the dish tonight using my new Satellite meter.
    Does anyone see the correlation here? The first really hot and sunny day of the year.
    Maybe the Grundig LNB ain't up to the sun beating down on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eamon Gavin

I've been having intermittent picture breakup for past couple of weeks on a Pace box. Got loan of another box which works ok. First box seems to need repair. Does anyone know of anywhere box can be repaired in Waterford area. As usual Sky nohelpdesk is a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I had the No satellite being recieved problem also, until I got a new LNB I think (the thing at the end pointing at the dish)

Up to that I did the following to get the RTE, FOX News,Hallmark etc...
    1) I went to euronews 528 and if I got no signal I flicked quickly between that and ITV News 525, then I would get the signal and go straight to RTE by pressing 101 and it worked.
    Once I got euronews I could get the rest.However if I went to a non-problem channel like sky news 501 and then to RTE it wouldn't work.

Give it a try!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Has it worked for anyone?

Advertisement