Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network

Options
  • 05-08-2002 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

since there is more then one computer in the house now ive decided to build a network in the house. there are three computers in total, each in their own room and only one (my pc) has access to the internet through dial-up. since ive never built a network from scratch, can someone tell me whats the best way of doing it and going about getting the required hardware?

a dial-up wont handle all three computers when it comes to internet so i would definitely get ISDN. (no adsl for the moment since eircom blah blah...). any tips, comments welcome. and oh yeah, im a student, so that means cash is very very low. :)

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

All you need is 3 Network cards and a Data Hub. I have my 2 pcs connected using 2 Network Cards and a cross over cable and enjoy 100mbs :D

Still im havin some problem though getting the net to work even though i had it working earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there's a few ways you can go about it. A hub and 3 network cards is the obvious and easy choice. You could also get 6 network cards and 3 crossover cables, but that could get messy. If the machine with ISDN is Windoze, install internet connection sharing, and a software firewall on it. Or try find some proxy software, it's up to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have 2 pc's in my room along with my laptop and a Pc downstairs too... All have 10/100 network cards and i have a 10/100 hub so it runs at 100mbs. One of My pc's in my room has a modem and also a DVBS card hooked up to Satellite for high speed internet. All systems run windows XP and i share the modem in my room and also the one downstairs as well as the DVBS card for high speed internet over the network.. it eh... rules!!! If you run XP its piss easy to set up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

just download analogx proxy, it's tiny and it works. Install it on the machine you are using for dialup. Then just add the settings into the client machines browsers. You can change the proxy port number aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 GD1

You can get some good proxy software for windows on www.webattack.com

If you want an excellent proxy server then you should load up RedHat Linux on an old pc and use its Squid proxy. Its a savage proxy and has a lot of options that are suitable for a small amount of users to a huge amount. If you would like to do this and have any questions I'll help no problem.

Advertisement