Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speaker Power

• 05-08-2002 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

I know nothing basically when it comes to speakers. I was just looking at my hi-fi and it has a sticker on it, with the Watts of the speakers.
    It says:
    115w + 115w musical power
    60w + 60w RMS

Is this good? They are pretty loud and they resonate like mad when you play something bassy loud. It looks cool, but I'm afraid they might blow. The max volume is 30, I'm afraid to go past 20.
    Oh the hi-fi is, Sony MHC-RG30.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually, they're pretty powerful speakers. Most speakers are listed with their PMPO rating ("peak music power output" rating) - the wattage that a speaker can sustain for a very short period. RMS ("root mean square") refers to the average power output - the sustained output that the speaker can output.

60w PMPO probably isn't worth all that much - 60w RMS is a nice power rating for a stereo setup. Most speakers are sold with their PMPO ratings, largely because the number is always bigger (sometimes by a factor of up to 20). With a high RMS rating, speakers can produce nice clean (and obviously, loud:D) sound

Some info here
    http://www.1388.com/articles/tech_underAmp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Actually it's a bit of a misnomer. Loudness is related to wattage but it's not a direct relationship. The sensitivity of the speakers comes into play (ie. Just how much sound pressure they generate per Watt of power pumped into them). Thats why an awful lot of PC speakers have crazy Wattage ratings but aren't actually that loud (And of course will often fall apart as you approach what would be a comfortable volume on a decent pair of HiFi speakers). It's a bit like selling a car based on the size of it's fuel tank, but leading folks to believe that defines how fast it will go.

Advertisement