Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop my cd-rom auto startup?

Options
  • 05-08-2002 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am using Xp at the moment and when i stick a cd into my cd-rom it will auto start the cd.I have ticked the take no action in the pop up menu but each time after boot up it does it all over again.What am I missing?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In properties i think you ahve to click on it .

right click on the drive and its one of the tabs.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

All that does is dictate the type of action taken when a disc autoplays - it doesn't actually stop the damn thing autoplaying (unless it's an audio disc and "no action" is selected)

Easiest way is to grab TweakUi from the MS site
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    564Kb, nice fast download

Install it, then open it - on the Start Menu it'll install in PowerToys for Windows XP-->TweakUI

The relevant setting is in TweakUI under My Computer-->AutoPlay. The tickbox labelled "Enable Autoplay for CD and DVD drives" is the one you want to change - untick it to stop autoplay

Rather annoyingly it works as a common controlfor both data discs and audio discs - the old TweakUI (pre-XP) had a different setting for each.

What's also really handy in TweakUI is the setting under Taskbar-->XP Start Menu. You can block programs from appearing on the Frequently Used list on the Start menu (godsend, this).

You might also be interested in a few of the other PowerToys - available from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I hit take no action and it doesnt...

But DUH powertoys ...they are great my fav is taking the arrows of the shortcuts on desktop makes them look neater :)

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by kdja
    I hit take no action and it doesnt...

Odd, doesn't do it on mine, but if it works, it works. Might be best to try that first before installing powertools then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Thanks alot Sceptre

• Advertisement
Advertisement