Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good comparisons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

that CyberByte 300 product is pretty decent... 300hrs a month, €0.25 an hour after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

They got a CAP of 1gig or 500Meg depending on which package you go for.
    But the prices are less.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

What's the cap on the actrix service? Don't see one.....
    One for Jetstream and the other service posted above. They are quite pricey (incl the caps.). Re-assuring in some way that we're not the only country banging sticks together to try and get some warmth at night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bricks
    They got a CAP of 1gig or 500Meg depending on which package you go for.
    But the prices are less.
    They also do a 128k version (JetStart) which has no cap for $64.90 (32 euros) per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

they're similar in one other (trivial) way they use 1800 for freephone #'s too, while aussieland uses 0800...

edit: actually, my bad... it's the other way round lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i am half tempted to put my name and address in and see would they contact me !!

i'd be half-tempted too lol... though the only problem is that it's out of reach for us, in more ways than one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I just found an offer of an unlimited flat-rate Internet connection for around 14 euro a month from the second provider there.

you did? where abouts?

Originally posted by Kennett
    you did? where abouts?

http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/connection/dial-in.html#accounts_table

It's NZ $29.95, which by the current exchange rate works out I believe at about 14 euro a month. They also have some other packages which are limited to 250 hours for example, but are less expensive. This includes ISDN access.

Edit: Oh yes, and did I mention... All their packages come with 24/7 customer support, with preferential treatment for people on the flat-rate package! Where Irish operators cut people off, NZ operators give them preferential support!

The situation in Ireland is truly a farce, and puts us in the league of third world countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

LOL ok, here is the deal...everyone gatther any cable loose in your house, i have a soldering iron, we contact ryanair and run the cable ourselves...will surely be faster then waiting in ireland dore it!"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

NZ is not quite a fair comparison:

1. they have a less corrupt government

2. they opened up the telecom business to competition in the 1990's (they didn't just allow a single private company to run the whole show)

3. they don't make it difficult for companies from other countries to enter their market. (although this is not as true now as it was in the early 1990s)

I would suggest that Ireland compare itself to Sri Lanka off the coast of India. HOLD ON A SEC, even that impoverished, terror ridden, wartorn, poor, backward state has 2 MBIT/SEC ADSL:

http://www.slt.lk/inpages/athome_pages/adsl.htm

Maybe we should compare ourselves to Madagascar....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

1. they have a less corrupt government

My Aunt Eileen who lives in Wellington swears they have the most corrupt Government in the world, I spoke to her on saturday and I had to endure two hours of 'what those b**tards did to the railways workers' seesh ... My point is, when I lived in Paris and Germany the idiginous populations their also, with very little prompting would explain at lenght why their own Government is the more corrupt in the world. Ireland is no more or less corrupt than anyone else, its all a question of perceptions, I try to live by the rule 'never attribute anything to malice that which can be sufficentily explained by stupidity', i find this wisdom explains alot ...
    2. they opened up the telecom business to competition in the 1990's (they didn't just allow a single private company to run the whole show)

no argument here
    3. they don't make it difficult for companies from other countries to enter their market. (although this is not as true now as it was in the early 1990s)

nor here either. Although I would suggest that the main problem was not Government barriers to foreign companies setting up in Ireland, but rather getting large foreign companies interest in Ireland. Case in point, France Telecom and Deutshe Telecom procrastinated for years about entering the Irish market, eventually giving up, not because of any real problems with government restrictions, they where really reluctant because of the size of the market.
    I would suggest that Ireland compare itself to Sri Lanka off the coast of India. HOLD ON A SEC, even that impoverished, terror ridden, wartorn, poor, backward state has 2 MBIT/SEC ADSL:

Comeon man, cope on a little. ADSL is availble here, its becoming more widely available with every passing month. The problem is not the availabity of ADSL anymore, its the cost of ADSL and no matter how prohibitively high the cost of ADSL is in Ireland, you have more chance of being able to afford ADSL here than in impoverished Sri Lanka. Pointing the fields you percieve as greener gets us nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I think pointing out greener fields is absolutley imperative unless you're completely happy with the field your standing on.

The world needs pointers.

http://www.caucasus.net/

i stumbled upon this link by accident, but i hung around and looked at their flat-rate/internet packages:

OPTION ONE
    UNLIMITED ACCESS
    (24 hours of Internet access every day) - - $30 per month
    This seems to be a reasonable servace, and what we're looking for, don't you think?

OPTION TWO
    UNLIMITED ACCESS
    from 20.00 - 10.00 (14 hours of Internet access every day) -- $15 per month from 10.00 - 20.00 - $0.40 per hour
    this one is similar to Esat's upcoming service, but you have loads of hours spread throughout days

OPTION THREE
    $0.90 per hour from 10.00 - 20.00
    $0.40 per hour from 20.00 - 10.00
    This one is a tad expensive during the day, but it's certainly cheaper in the evening, compared to what we have now... if we had this service available, it would eb a good step to flat-rate

Even their Leased lines look good. Their Asynchronus Leased Lines range from 33.6- 115kbps, while their Synchronus Leased Lines range from 64- 512kbps. and all of them seem to have the same service as that $30 unlimited access, as well as $100+ of international calls included (115kbps upwards), as well as free installation and free installation of the physical line.

it's a shame there's nothing like that here..

If you're looking for examples of flat rate in other countries, there are lot of cheaper examples. :)

Edit: Actually does anyone know, are those US Dollars, or another currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Thats grand, even 3rd world places like Georgia are getting better, cheaper internet access than here.

Of course all this internet stuff is irrelevant, we all know that the economy is driven by rising house prices.

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    If you're looking for examples of flat rate in other countries, there are lot of cheaper examples. :)

Edit: Actually does anyone know, are those US Dollars, or another currency?

i'm not sure myself, though i stumbled on that site when i was looking up www.all.ge (it's russian so, it's hard to read the page. try reading the link location instead)

Advertisement