Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manga = win

Options
  • 05-08-2002 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Manga has better Comics,Films(AKIRA) and Tv shows(DragonBall Z) and what does marvel have "The Punisher" movie starring Dolph Lungren (pld on the hair style btw),

Will someone prove me wrong?

BTW

does anyone know of any good sites for japanimation?,or where it can be bought on the net/Galway;Dublin

P.S
    iron man is the best marvel super hero btw,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

ARGH! CALL IT ANIME! PLEASE?!

Furries vs. manga? now THAT'd be fun! ;p

Anyway... my personal favourite comic book series is Lone Wolf And Cub. It's rather fantastic.

... but! Compare Manga to Dc/Vertigo... hrmmm... Transmetropolitian, Preacher, Invisibles... Ok... so all the good "western" <directions are all in the mind> comics are over/ending... shut up!

But yes... japanese stuff good. Not just manga though. Often actually non-manga stuff can surpass it muchos!

Dotanuki's for all! ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Genesis

I saw a copy of Preacher the last day ,whats with that?

it's by garth ennis <if you don't know then SHAME ON YOU>...

basically it's about a Preacher <Jesse Custer> who goes on a mission to punish god after learning that he's abandoned his creation. actually there's a lot more than that... like the saint of killers, genesis and the Grail... but ... it'd take too long. Seriously though, if you do need persuading I have one word that should make you buy and read the first trade paperback - Arseface! <BEST CHARACTER EVER... or should I say "BUHT CUHUHTUH UHVUH">

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Genesis is actually using "Manga" in the correct context here, although he probably doesn't know it. Given he's just cited Akira as a great film and DBZ as a great TV show, I'm guessing he doesn't actually know much about the genre :)

Manga are comic books and graphic novels; anime is films and TV series. The fact that a rather crappy western company decided to nab the name "manga" to release anime under is an unfortunate mess-up (not the first or last mess-up this particular company have been responsible for...).

Personally, I prefer the Japanese style of artwork and animation to the Western style, and in movie terms there is NO western produced animation which matches decent anime for plot, characterisation and sheer style. However, in graphic novels it's not so certain; mangaka tackle different areas and genres in general, and it's unfair to make direct comparisons as a result. Both have their place, and neither is inherently better than the other.

shinji is confused ladies and gentlemen ,i think he is trying to say........inshort......... that i pwn , and u suceeded shinji,i am blushing

Thank you........and Good Night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Hi Genesis,
    I'm a big fan of manga/anime, too...
    I suggest you join http://www.mangatoanime.com
    It has a forum called "Eirtaku" that is specifically for irish people...
    BTW, the site is run by Cloud from boards.ie :)

PS: There is also an irc channel on irc.quakenet.org : #mangatoanime

thanks Lorrd Of Terror i will have a look at it later on today

Btw,i actually agree with shinji,because i love the way in which anime/manga keep using animations in film as opposed to Marvel/western style who change it when he make a film i.e "SpiderMan",and he was right when he said anime films can't be matched for "plot ,characterisation and sheer style"(when put up againest westeren style animated films and even most films based on westeren comics)

I also like the way in which anime can pull off both realistic and cartoonie effects (i.e in the FILM :D Akira and in pokémon show)
    ,and this also allows them to have the best of both worlds,and allows them to pull off brilliant special effects unthinkable in unanimated film.

But,i have to admit that graphic novels are......in some what a downfall,but it can't be perfect :confused:

shinji said it well when he said "Both have their place, and neither is inherently better than the other".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well I suppose you'd have to take into consideration that companies like Marvel have been at this for well over 50 years and its main production are comics not films.

The point is that in most films you find that there takes a lot of acting (Or animation in anime films) to make up a story line that can be done in frames in a comic with a good writer and artist.

BTW a lot of people like the punisher (TBH I never really got into it) but you can't site 1 title as an example of an entire publishing company.

Anyway - a LOT of the good manga style comics are from independant publishing companies who just use the style. The artwork is great but it only excells in it's genre.

a LOT of the good manga style comics are from independant publishing companies who just use the style.

Er, all manga comics are from independent publishing companies. The style of drawing is one that's existed in Japan since before the second world war, and is descended directly from traditional Japanese artwork of centuries ago. When kids in Japanese schools doodle in their copybooks, this is the stuff they draw.
    The artwork is great but it only excells in it's genre.

That's not strictly true, some anime/manga artwork is recognised as being in with the best conventional art being produced right now. Yo****aka Amano's work springs to mind, as does some of the stuff Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has done recently, and then there's Yu Watase (the artist behind Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres), whose paintings are certainly among the best character compositions that anyone is doing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

This is a comic board not an art board. Please take what is said here in the context of the board. I was refering to comic art. And if you take it as such then you have to consider all of the genre of art produced between all of the publishers out there.

Oh and as for saying that most Manga comics are from independant publishing companies? If you stopped to research a little, which you seem to have done but not enough, you would realise that other companies such as MARVEL have brought out Manga comics. And again in the context here Independant means any of the publishing companies not associated with the larger ones such as DC, IMAGE, MARVEL etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my fav manga at the moment would have to be "battle angel alita", comes in 8 or 9 volumes (can be bought at forbidden planet, or dl'ed online) and is fuppin great!

another great one is "Love hina" but that is a comedy/love story, rather than the serious sci-fi style of B.A.A.

i'm currently on the lookout for the "berserk" manga, saw the anime last weekend and I want to see where the manga leads the story

I was refering to comic art.

As was I. I'm guessing you haven't seen any volumes of Yu Watase's volumes of Fushigi Yuugi or Ayashi No Ceres, or Sadamoto-san's Evangelion manga. Or, for that matter, stuff like Kia Asimaya's Dark Angel collected volumes.

Not only is work like this outstanding in the field of comic books or manga, it is also in many places outstanding in terms of pure art as well.
    Oh and as for saying that most Manga comics are from independant publishing companies? If you stopped to research a little, which you seem to have done but not enough, you would realise that other companies such as MARVEL have brought out Manga comics.

You can be as sarky as you like, but you're still wrong. No manga has been produced by any of the large US companies. In fact, the only manga artist who's done well-recognised stuff in the USA is Adam Warren, who did the Dirty Pair pseudo-mangas. Fred over at Megatokyo is well on his way to being the second in that line, though.

Some US companies do translate and release Japanese manga, of course - Viz are the main ones who do this, along with CPM/Dark Horse. The really big US comic types - Marvel, DC et al - have never published manga, to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He's possibly referring to Marvel's Mangaverse series, which is a strange manga-conventional western comic art hybrid.

Actually... I was referring to him calling it Japanimation. As a geek I feel it is my right to have quirks like insisting on the term anime. ;p

But yeah... personally, I love Lone Wolf And Cub passionately and I feel that the gritty pencil and ink style used there far surpasses the modern cartoon style. But it must be said that the Lone Wolf And Cub has been the inspiration to many western comic writers /artists <principally Frank Miller obviously>. But that's the thing there are many styles to anime, from Akira, to that kids show with the robot things <sorry... i don't know it's name..

Erm... I forget what my point is. Sleep deprivation is showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

Anime doesn't actually mean Japanese-Animated-Cartoons.
    The Japanese learn lots of American English in School and the languge now uses hundereds of Amercan English words.
    Hotel or Motel ( American English )- Hoe-tay-ru (Hotel)
    Running Shoes/Sneekers-- Sue-Nee-Ka
    ComputerAnimation/CartoonAnimation----Ani-me
    Buns/Buscuits
    Cook-key (Cookie)
    Toilet/Lavatory
    Ray-su-tay-roomu (Restroom).
    Bus
    Bassu
    Personal-Computer----Passo-Com
    Film
    Firu-moo

the word anime is adopted from the English term Animation

Anime doesn't actually mean Japanese-Animated-Cartoons.

Sigh. Yes it does. The fact that it's a loan word as opposed to an original word is utterly and completely beside the point. No other animation produced anywhere else in the world is described as "anime" therefore "anime" describes japanese animated TV shows, OAVs and movies.

(The reason why it's called "anime" of course is because there was no such thing as animation until the last century, so no word developed in traditional japanese to describe it. The majority of words added to Japanese in the past 100 years have indeed been loan words from English - this doesn't make them any less a part of the language, however.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Ugh, japanimation and pokemon. I feel dirty from just typing that. My advice would be not to dismiss an anime or manga because it seems a bit childish, or gay. Card Captor Sakura(you know that atrociously subbed and edited pile of **** on Network 2) is actualy a damn fine anime and manga. If you're in dublin, stop in on Forbidden Planet on Aston quay, and bring a fat wallet. And try to avoid buying dubs most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gyousei

well good places to but anime or manga would be,
    http://www.japanimation.com
    http://www.amazon.com

and the word anime is actually french and the japanese took it coz they liked the way it sounded, they do that alot, ever hear a j-pop song?

oh and i'd recommend "blade of the immortal" for its freaky cool drawing style!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Shinji wrote:
    Er, all manga comics are from independent publishing companies. The style of drawing is one that's existed in Japan since before the second world war, and is descended directly from traditional Japanese artwork of centuries ago. When kids in Japanese schools doodle in their copybooks, this is the stuff they draw.

...I'm pretty sure that this animation style is a asianized walt disney. Remember seeing a documentary in the animatrix disc that refers driectly to the fact that Astro Boy, (A seminal anime figure i believe), played on the artistic stylings of no less than Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Just to confirm, Osamu Tezuka, God as I might call him :), has admitted drawing Astro based on Mickey Mouse so Manga-Style is definitely originated from Disney even if Mangas has come a long way now and Mangaka are now expressing their own style without copying (ie. Great Teacher Onizuka has definitely its own visual style especially with Onizuka's face) ;).

I am personaly a big Anime/Manga fan, I even went to Japan twice, but I don't really feel like comparing Anime to Comics, they're 2 different styles and that's it, I wouldn't say "I think comics are crap" because I don't believe so, it would be like saying "I think horror movies are crap" just because I prefer Comedy ...

Here is a list of recommendation from a big anime fan :) GTO, One Piece, Fruit Basket, Saint Seiya, Gensoumaden Saiyuki (I don't really recommend Reload coz it's not as good as the manga would be) and many more :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

boards.jp .. that rocks.. can't believe it exsists

Advertisement