Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xp home edition problem

Options
  • 06-08-2002 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

well, not much of a problem, it's just wasting a bit of hd space:rolleyes:
    i'm just after giving my pc a bit of a spring clean (deleting old games etc...) and i came across the folder 'c:\system volume information'
    the problem is, this folder weighs in at around 1.6gb, even though i deleted everything windows would let me from it less than a month ago.
    it seems to be a folder for backing up system files & stuff, is there any way i can manage when and what windoze writes to this folder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

In XP, this folder is used for System Restore points. Windows XP automatically takes a checkpoint (snapshot) prior to any MSI installation so there are quite a few to choose from at any time. Easy to recognise the MSI installations - it's the same box that pops up when you install Office (which is probably taking up quite a bit of that folder in your case - and also Visual Studio, if you installed that)

Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and then click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check "Turn off system restore" or "Turn off system restore on all drives."
    Click Apply.

This will get rid of everything in the folder.
    It will also turn off system restore. If you actually see a use for it, turn it back on. Personally, I keep it off permanently - it doesn't back up useful things like files I create and it's a real space hog.

If you click the "Settings" button in the dialog box above, you can change the maximum space allocated for system restore, which might solve some of your problem if you elect to keep it active.

if you just want to selectively delete, read here. If you're selectively deleting you may well just dump the lot.

There's quite a lot of info on system restore, including what gets backed up and what doesn't here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cheers, i just limited it to 1% of the disk, which should be 400mb, but for some reason it came up as 200???
    i've messed around with the settings in system properties a few time, but i never copped the system restore tab:rolleyes:

Advertisement