Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obscure Irish Metal

• 06-08-2002 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

It was only recently that i started going to see local metal gigs here in Cork, i must say that i am really suprised at how good some of these bands are. The only problem is that the only way i can listen to local metal is too go to mp3.com or go to the gigs themselves. mp3.com is good but seems rather limited, going to the gigs would be best but since i live miles from the city it isn't an ideal solution. Sometimes some record stores like Plugd and to a lesser extent Virgin stock cd's from local bands. I was wondering if any of you guys could be able to direct me to somewhere that i could download some stuff or even buy the cd's. If someone wants to offload their record collection at a reasonable price i am open to offers!

It may be old news to me but i heard that Kingdom have broken up, this was disapointing to hear because from the two times i went to see them play they always put up a really good show, still i hope the best for them in whatever they do next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

www.metalireland.com

You can get a list of bands, and loads of other things there, great website. And news of all upcoming gigs, metal wise... No matter how small the pub.

And yeah, it's a real shame Kingdom broke up. They were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Well if you want to here some really cool stuff you can go to Primal Dawn web site...

They have the MP3's of their first album up...

Quality stuff and I would urge anyone into metal to see them live. Great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Played a gig with Hollowpoint once, got their demo and thought it was cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i'd agree with primal dawn.they are VERY good live.
    also
    www.tooth.ie (if you saw these guys live on saturday night you are a lucky bastard)
    They have the MP3's of their first album up...
    i have that cd at home :)

also look out for Calzino Fiasco

also Diphtheria(rumour has it they are in the studio :D)
    www.worshipdiphtheria.com

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah there are quite alot of good metal bands up here too in the East Cavan / South Monaghan area. There is a place in my town called the Sail Inn. I've seen some of the best gigs ever in there. Better than some signed bands too. A couple of friends of mine are playing in Dublin sometime later this year... They really are worth going to. I'll post details where and when the gigs are closer to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mael Mordha - not too sure about the spelling and I know there's a webby out there somewhere, but they're a doom metal band with trad instruments :) Gimmicky, not my cuppa tea. Pagan Reign from Dublin are pretty good fun live - played recently at home (Castlebar). One of their guitar players looks like me ;)Sherman M4 are mates of mine that should be going into the studio this month for their first recording, so bookmark the site and MP3s will be available ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'll check out some of those bands i haven't already heard of

Speaking of Mael Mordha i am trying to get hold of a song by them (at least i think it was them), you'd know it because there is a horn in it. If anyone has the mp3 of that i'd be grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah i saw the title and i thought of mael mordha-theyre excellent at what they do, even if its not my cup o tea.
    they're friends of friends so if u want me to try and get a contact for them that'd be no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I saw Mael Mordha supporting My Dying Bride....

They're first song was so funny...they came out smothered in Brave Heart-esque war paint and used a war trumpet!

Also meet two ex members of the band....

The stories they told about the lead singer where also quite funny if unrepeatable:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by deco
    I saw Mael Mordha supporting My Dying Bride....

They're first song was so funny...they came out smothered in Brave Heart-esque war paint and used a war trumpet!

Also meet two ex members of the band....

The stories they told about the lead singer where also quite funny if unrepeatable:)

Yes!! I want that song, at least the name of it if you can help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think that's only an intro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Cruachan are quite good, them and Shane MacGowan did a cover of Christy Moore's ride on which is very good would love to see live.

Their "Rocky Road to Dublin" isn't bad neither listen to it if for nothing else comical value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Ahamah
    Cruachan are quite good, them and Shane MacGowan did a cover of Christy Moore's ride on which is very good would love to see live.

Their "Rocky Road to Dublin" isn't bad neither listen to it if for nothing else comical value

that "Ride on" cover is lethal, dont know about the other songs.... IMO - i think they are crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I've only heard three songs so i dunno, i'll get the album and see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

don't suppose there is anyh good power metal in Ireland? :)

Advertisement