Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

>:O @ advertising off my site

Options
  • 06-08-2002 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Microsoft has recently started its new online money making gimik, this META line was ment to stop it:

<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="TRUE">

any other idea's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

its microsoft internet explorer.

Basically microsoft is allowing companies to advertise on other people's webpages without their consent. Just say a company does web design, they can sponsor the words 'web design' and any webpage anywhere will have those key words underlined with a link to their website.

Ive only see it work with IE 5.5 at the moment. Any1 else seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The tag was introduced over a year ago and Microsoft executives tend to avoid answering questions about it.
    I've never seen it in action, but I also block it using the META tag already cited.
    The idea behind it is very interesting and when you consider that MS have the lion's share of the browser market it makes a lot of sense... ethics and morals aside..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely you can claim money off them for generating free advertising for themselves from your site. Of course, you can't prove that anyone else sees these links, and that visitors to your site have meta tags enabled. Smart Tags....ffs.....next you know Microsoft will build a web directory with just a single website for each topic :rolleyes:

I reckon we start an official Opera endorsement on boards.ie. Opera pwns IE

It's a bit like the scumware and some of those other browser plugins. Unless you install the software it's impossible to know what visitors to your site see, or could see. As the 'hijack' takes place on the client side it won't show up in the logs unless the browser reports itself in a non-standard way (which it highly unlikely)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Dave|STaN
    Ive only see it work with IE 5.5 at the moment. Any1 else seen it?

I've never seen it in action, but if you are curious do a quick search on : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ms+smart+tags&spell=1

Advertisement