Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP crossover connection

Options
  • 06-08-2002 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are some archive threads on this but i need i dumbed down a bit.

I`m want to connect 2 mahines together using a crossover cable(already made). Now once i plug in the cable and go to set up a new connection(direct connection) i only get the option of using a parralell connection(lpt1), what have i done wrong.

Both machines have there ip`s set up right - 62.17.150.2 and 62.17.150.3

Is there something i`m missing do i need to remove any other connections i have and change any settings on the net card as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You don't need to set up the connection through an XP wizard, once the 2 nics are setup/configured correctly (and the cable works), they should communicate.
    www.wown.com is a good site to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Would i have to remove my current connections as they are set up for LAN usage, i take it i would as the connection would be looking to set the network, while all it woiuld be getting was a crossover connection.

Thanks for help, will try later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You don't need to remove the current connections (those connections are your NICs).
    Even though you're using a crossover cable, the pcs are networked so I'm not sure what you mean by crossover connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bazH
    Would i have to remove my current connections as they are set up for LAN usage, i take it i would as the connection would be looking to set the network, while all it woiuld be getting was a crossover connection.

Thanks for help, will try later.

If there's any other connections left over (old unused NICS, dial-up connections) sure get rid of them, but you don't have to. Just go to the ...150.2 machine and in DOS, type:
    ping 62.17.150.3

And if it replies then you're all set. Easy. Technically, 2 machines connected are a lan - your computer can't tell the difference between a crossover cable or a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

also try the obvious.. usually there will be 2 lights on your net cards.. a green indicating a cable is connected and a flashing amber indicating network activity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement